Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone here with a 48 kept it totally stock?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 10:11 PM
Ludwig von Buzzthoven
Road Master
Received 639 Likes on 280 Posts
Default Has anyone here with a 48 kept it totally stock?

Before I ever bought a 48, I was sure that I was going to want to tear it apart when I finally brought one home. For starters, I thought I'd want 2-into1 pipes. But now that I've had the bike for a month, I pretty much decided that I thought it was almost perfect for me the way it is. I've only done one small thing so far: I swapped out the stock dipstick for the HD one with the analog oil temp gauge. I also have a Moon derby cover on its way. The only other thing I was thinking about was a new seat. I ordered a Biltwell Sporty 8, but didn't like it. Honestly, I could live with the stock seat if I had to.

Just curious if anyone here has left theirs alone.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:53 AM
ew25950
Road Master
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts

I'm sorry, what is this odd phrase that you mention......"keep it totally stock". I did a quick search and zero results came back.

If you want to keep it stock, stay far far away from this site and others like it.

Seriously though, Sometimes I wish I would have got mine stock versus with the stage 1 ac, tuner and exhaust already on it. Since purchase all I have added is passenger pegs and pillion. DK Customs ignition relocation and TTI's are on the way though.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:12 AM
OddJack
Road Warrior
Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by ew25950
I'm sorry, what is this odd phrase that you mention......"keep it totally stock". I did a quick search and zero results came back. .
Muhahahahaaahaaaa

May be the key word was "stuck"

Before I ever bought a 48, I was sure that I was going to want to tear it apart when I finally brought one home. For starters, I thought I'd want 2-into1 pipes. But now that I've had the bike for a month, I pretty much decided that I thought it was almost perfect for me the way it is. I've only done one small thing so far: I swapped out the stock dipstick for the HD one with the analog oil temp gauge. I also have a Moon derby cover on its way. The only other thing I was thinking about was a new seat. I ordered a Biltwell Sporty 8, but didn't like it. Honestly, I could live with the stock seat if I had to.

You havnt had enough time my friend. One month is too short to indicate anything. How many miles is a better indicator.
It's going to happen eventually. Minimum is slip ons. You wont need a tune for that and keep the stock ac. And the bike still look stock.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:06 PM
LunaticFringe
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

this was not a good question to ask, people are going to talk you into spending a lot of money now.

I would say exhaust is a must even if it's just some slip-ons, although when I first got my first sportster 4 years ago I kept the stock exhaust for like 2 years until I added slip-ons, honestly slip-ons are the best way to go, like $300 for some nice ones, 45 minutes to install and your done.

if you went through the catalog I'm sure you'd find multiple things you wanted.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:36 AM
smokindownthehwy
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd like to know what "totally stock" for a Harley means. Considering that you can order virtually any Harley model with any factory accessories when you make your initial purchase wouldn't they all be considered "stock" for the motorcycle. For example a Sundowner seat could be ordered or Screamin' Eagle exhaust. Is that stock? Does it matter if these are added after the initial purchase? So what is "stock" remains a question for me.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:55 AM
OddJack
Road Warrior

By totally stock he means the bike has what was on it when purchased new, with the most basic components and no performance parts added.

What you say makes sense as well, since new bikes are being sold with performance parts already installed, and not all of them are Harley parts. They sell new bikes with V&H pipes already on.

But since most of the bikes are sold new with basic (cheapest) parts I think That's what he means by stock.

Old 12-23-2014, 01:37 PM
sroc3
Road Captain

Let me chime in on one VERY essential mod you should do - the exhaust.

You need to be heard by others in traffic. This helps SO much in ensuring your safety. When i first got my 48, i thought I would not change the exhaust at all. But then after 2 weeks of almost being clipped twice, going 30mph, by cars who just didn't even know I was there, I decided it was worth the upgrade.

It's really amazing what a difference it made. I'm heard, then seen by most motorists now...well, most...

Old 12-23-2014, 02:09 PM
OddJack
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by sroc3
Let me chime in on one VERY essential mod you should do - the exhaust.

You need to be heard by others in traffic. This helps SO much in ensuring your safety. When i first got my 48, i thought I would not change the exhaust at all. But then after 2 weeks of almost being clipped twice, going 30mph, by cars who just didn't even know I was there, I decided it was worth the upgrade.

It's really amazing what a difference it made. I'm heard, then seen by most motorists now...well, most...
So what did you put on?

Old 12-23-2014, 04:00 PM
Sweforty8
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Ludwig von Buzzthoven

Nope!

Old 12-23-2014, 07:14 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I purchased my 48 knowing that it could not remain stock for my riding comfort.
I really liked the style , but the rider position was not going to work for me.
I have made each mod with the idea that it could be put back to stock easily like my last bike was.
I also kept all the stock parts with this in mind.
This increased the trade in value quite a bit when it was time to trade the bike in.
I really like the look of the stock mufflers , but they were a bit tame , even for me.
I drilled the baffles with a 1/2" hole and it woke the bike right up.
The sound increased a bit , but not seriously , certainly not irritatingly loud.
I installed roadster handlebars (black) and you would have to know '48's pretty well to notice.
Much more comfortable for me , and still look pretty stock.
So , no I didn't keep it stock , but I really like it my way.
Mick

Quick Reply: Has anyone here with a 48 kept it totally stock?