Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 07:39 PM
Scorp76
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea I learned my lesson on that when I bought my 74 Scout. Bought it from an "ASE" certified technician....yea...a week later driving at 65 on the highway my brakes seize up because the brake fluid was sludge.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:11 AM
OddJack
Road Warrior
Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

Interesting how some people can appraise a bike without riding a bike or even looking at it in person and basing their opinions of the condition of the bike itslef on what type of mods have been done and what has been added.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:58 AM
backplay
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by OddJack
Interesting how some people can appraise a bike without riding a bike or even looking at it in person and basing their opinions of the condition of the bike itslef on what type of mods have been done and what has been added.
Actually it is quite easy. Every picture tells a story. The only thing unclear is how the engine sounds. If something looks abused, it probably is. Cleaning it and making it sparkle when trying to sell is a no brainer, I didn't see that here. Perception.... the only truth.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:17 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by backplay
Actually it is quite easy. Every picture tells a story. The only thing unclear is how the engine sounds. If something looks abused, it probably is. Cleaning it and making it sparkle when trying to sell is a no brainer, I didn't see that here. Perception.... the only truth.
Well said.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:19 AM
kingxirol
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by enginesludge
Here is another 2011 for $6k. And another DEALER too.

http://nh.craigslist.org/mcd/4778948066.html
These two bikes you posted are 883 while the one OP is looking at is 1200. Hence cheaper prices at the dealer's.

OP: However I too think $6500 is higher than what I would pay for this bike. Just convert the effort you will be putting into just REVERSING the mods you don't like, into $$ and add any potential mods you have in mind at this time for the bike and add this on top of the $6500 and then you have a more realistic figure to work with.

My $0.02.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:24 PM
OddJack
Road Warrior

Well, good for you. For me pictures told stories in children's books and the stories are as good as one's imagination.

All you need is a engine sound, that's great. You can probably even say what the compression is on each cylinder just by listening.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:37 PM
OddJack
Road Warrior

A picture can tell you the brand, model and maybe the approximate year it was built, what was added and what was removed and that's about it. If they included detailed pictures from all around the bike maybe you can get an idea on the condtion and how it was maintained.

Talking about this particular bike, the pictures can do the first part. What was added and removed and some cosmetics. Nothing else.

That bike has been ridden less than 800 miles a year, and is advertised as " like new" condtion. Unless inspected in person I would disregard the stories psychics tell you buylooking at the palms of your hands or the pcitures they see in their minds.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:53 PM
backplay
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by OddJack
Well, good for you. For me pictures told stories in children's books and the stories are as good as one's imagination.

All you need is a engine sound, that's great. You can probably even say what the compression is on each cylinder just by listening.
Why Jack, what an ugly thing to say. And I was hoping we could be friends. I've moved on from looking at children's book pictures. You would however, be surprised what you can learn by listening. A good diagnostician can tell many things simply by listening to the sounds coming from an engine, especially a motorcycle. It works well in home situations as well. lol. You ought to try it.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:13 PM
Scorp76
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do I need to put you two in timeout?

Old 12-22-2014, 01:15 PM
OddJack
Road Warrior

Why Jack, what an ugly thing to say. And I was hoping we could be friends. I've moved on from looking at children's book pictures. You would however, be surprised what you can learn by listening. A good diagnostician can tell many things simply by listening to the sounds coming from an engine, especially a motorcycle. It works well in home situations as well. lol. You ought to try it.
backplay,

It's just concerning how some of these "thoughts" threads quickly turn into smarts contests.
I just found it rather interesting how people can come up with a story based on a exhaust tape, for example, and then use it to appraise a motorcycle. I have noticed that most people make modifications or fabrications just to make it look the way they want it to, or to add some extra horse power just because they can and it's not difficult, and not because the intend to race or ride the bike hard.

Anyways, I am gonna leave this at that and by saying I just disagree with your "easy" and "picture story" appraisals. If you found my comment "ugly" or offending to you, then I am sorry.