Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NRHS Kit Installed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 08:17 AM
brent1024
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Guzzi
Nice write up.
We need more pics......

.........of the wife!!!
Per request lolNRHS Kit Installed!!!-image.jpg

Old 12-22-2014, 08:21 AM
brent1024
Tourer

Ok, everything else back on that was taken off, except with an addition of the new air cleaner compliments of the DIY cheap & easy mod here on the forum and the install of a new Larossa bobber seat and a 3" drop kit.
Almost ready to fire it up
NRHS Kit Installed!!!-image.jpg

Old 12-22-2014, 08:23 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Awesome project...tell you wife to hold on tight! She'll love the upgrade and I'm sure you'll get a perk or two as well...

Old 12-22-2014, 08:37 AM
brent1024
Tourer

With the new HD forum bought Double Barrel Sikpipes installed (thanks & awesome pipes!!!) fresh oil change, and plugs along with some fresh 93 octane fuel it was time to try the initial startup. Before I turned the key and pressed the blow up button, Dan at NRHS had told me that I needed to retard my timing back a bit (about a click & a half). I assumed it still had the stock ignition which he said wasn't an issue as long as I retarded it. VOES might be an issue but can deal with another one after I get it started and tested it out after the first ride.
I removed the cover on the side of the case & low and behold found the the previous owner had installed a Compu Fire dual ignition!! Had two ***** for adjustment. One for timing & one for VOES. Sweet! Not knowing much about them, I chose to just dial the ignition back one notch on the **** & left the VOES alone for right now. (If anyone has any input on this, please feel free to chime in on it cause I need to research this one a bit)
Put the cover back one, said a Hail Mary Full Of Grace, turned the key, pressed the button....Houston, we have ignition
Ran throughout the first four heat cycles using a stopwatch. 10 sec then complete cool down, 20 sec-cool down, 30 sec-cool down, 40 second-cool down. Using my laser temp gauge to make sure everything was cooled down to shop temp before going onto next cycle.
No ping, engine sounded strong & great. Opened the shop door and took it outside to bring it up to full temp. Started right up and let it warm up. Sounds strong & good. Decided now or never. Dropped it into gear and pulled out & took off. Mind you, it's 31 degrees here, but didn't mind. Took it easy and didn't get crazy on the rpm's, but WOW! What a major difference in power! Did 5 miles without a hesitation or issue. Did I mention how sweet those pipes sound!
Pulled back into the shop & let her cool down. No leaks, looks sweet!
NRHS Kit Installed!!!-image.jpg

Old 12-22-2014, 08:49 AM
brent1024
Tourer

So now it was time to clean her up & call the wife. Called her up after a quick wax & polish & told her to grab her leather & meet me at the shop. She shows up right as it was starting to snow!!!! Damn just my luck!
Walks into the shop & immediatley wants to look at my street glide trying to figure out how much $$ I've put into it since it's been at the shop for winter. I just laughed & pointed at hers covered up & told her to go uncover it and start it up being it's been over a month since it ran & it would be good for it.
She walks over, pulls cover off & all I got was a loud WTF & big eyes and a evil grin on her face! She sits on it & I told her to start it as I point at the old jugs sitting on the bench. She pops it off and just smiles a mile! Revs the pipes a couple times & shuts it off & just stares at me. She says "you guys are in big trouble now! Remember all those times I was a spec in your mirror? Those days are over now!!!"
I just laughed & in the back of my mind I knew she wasn't kidding lol!!
So once again, a happy wife is a happy life.
Biggest moral to the story, she wanted one of those new Indian Scouts. Went with her back in October & looked at them with her.
$10k for a new Scout
$1500 into big bore kit & few other mods on her sporty
Hmmm it was a no brainer to do this instead of the Indian. Plus we keep our house of Harley!!!!

Old 12-22-2014, 08:56 AM
brent1024
Tourer

Oh & a big thanks to everyone on this forum for your past posts! The search button works out everytime I was looking into this upgrade & reading everything that you all have posted in the past on it. Thanks again everyone & happy holidays!

Old 12-22-2014, 09:00 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Between yours and Chris's write-ups, I'm inspired. Thanks.

The bike looks great by they way. Those pipes are cool.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:10 AM
brent1024
Tourer

Originally Posted by SLV
Between yours and Chris's write-ups, I'm inspired. Thanks.

The bike looks great by they way. Those pipes are cool.
I didn't get as detailed as some guys have with their write up, but it's been done a lot. I just wanted to touch on a few things I figured out in the process that helped me a lot. I didn't go crazy on head work, cams etc being that it's the wife's bike & figured this would be more then enough power for her by leaving stock heads & cams & just upgrading the jugs.
I did do a diy lollipop mod in the pipes being they were straight open. Figured a little back pressure wouldn't hurt. Was expecting no bottom end & was very surprised how much it had. No reference to them without being I haven't run them without the lollipops.
Get inspired & get it done! You won't be disappointed, and it's not a hard job at all!!!

Old 12-22-2014, 09:52 AM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

brent, have you considered, did you, or are you going to upgrade the clutch?

=8^)

Old 12-22-2014, 11:20 AM
brent1024
Tourer

Originally Posted by DrewBone
brent, have you considered, did you, or are you going to upgrade the clutch?

=8^)
It didn't feel any different on the test ride, but I didn't dig on it hard either. I think I'll get one ordered so I have it so when the weather finally straightens out where I can do some more test trips on it I'll have it on hand and ready

Quick Reply: NRHS Kit Installed!!!