Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CV Carb Issue pls Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 11:14 AM
RicRides
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation CV Carb Issue pls Help

I have browsed through many of the carb related posts and not found what I need. I have finished an 89 rebuild project and now have carb issues. After completing the rebuild the bike started great, idled with choke when cold and idled unassisted when warm. I had the bike running great took it on some shake downs found a few bugs and worked them out.
Now the problem, the bike will not run over 40 mph for any distance over a 1 mile or so. I can cruise at 30 or right at 40 no sweat, but over that it gets fuel starved and dies. I pull to the side sit a second or two, cranks right over and off I go. It get fuel starved any time I go over 40 mph for some reason.

What I have done:
I have changed fuel out from old for new. I have used 90+ octane and 87. I have clean tank and cleaned in-tank filter ( which was partially clogged). I have a new petcock on tank, I have an in-line filter (clear) so I can see it is fuel starved when it, dies as there is no fuel visible in filter. I have removed the in-line and ran straight hose from tank to carb, with no change to operation. I even read a few posts which said to clean the carb. So.....I pulled carb and took it apart clean with carb cleaner all ports, tubes and jets. Blew it out let it dry and put it back together.

What I got:
After the carb cleaning, I started the bike up. I immediately noticed and a hard idle and after a couple minutes it just died. Now bike wont start!!!!

I have charged the battery, I am running a Dyna S ignition ( which is working fine), I have fuel in the lines to carb, (replaced the in-line filter). I have spark as the bike does try to start. I have had a couple of carb pop issues earlier but fixed them with a the carb adjustment on idle screw.

I think I have covered all I have done or tried.........Help I wanna ride my bike it been three years in the rebuild I am tired of waiting.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:33 PM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by RicRides
I have browsed through many of the carb related posts and not found what I need. I have finished an 89 rebuild project and now have carb issues. After completing the rebuild the bike started great, idled with choke when cold and idled unassisted when warm. I had the bike running great took it on some shake downs found a few bugs and worked them out.
Now the problem, the bike will not run over 40 mph for any distance over a 1 mile or so. I can cruise at 30 or right at 40 no sweat, but over that it gets fuel starved and dies. I pull to the side sit a second or two, cranks right over and off I go. It get fuel starved any time I go over 40 mph for some reason.

What I have done:
I have changed fuel out from old for new. I have used 90+ octane and 87. I have clean tank and cleaned in-tank filter ( which was partially clogged). I have a new petcock on tank, I have an in-line filter (clear) so I can see it is fuel starved when it, dies as there is no fuel visible in filter. I have removed the in-line and ran straight hose from tank to carb, with no change to operation. I even read a few posts which said to clean the carb. So.....I pulled carb and took it apart clean with carb cleaner all ports, tubes and jets. Blew it out let it dry and put it back together.

What I got:
After the carb cleaning, I started the bike up. I immediately noticed and a hard idle and after a couple minutes it just died. Now bike wont start!!!!

I have charged the battery, I am running a Dyna S ignition ( which is working fine), I have fuel in the lines to carb, (replaced the in-line filter). I have spark as the bike does try to start. I have had a couple of carb pop issues earlier but fixed them with a the carb adjustment on idle screw.

I think I have covered all I have done or tried.........Help I wanna ride my bike it been three years in the rebuild I am tired of waiting.
If there's no fuel in the lines you probably have an issue with the petcock. Drain the tank and remove and inspect the petcock. If it's a vacuum unit make sure it's hooked up properly and there are no vacuum leaks.

From what you've said the problem is in the line between the tank and the carb.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:49 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,482 Likes on 4,605 Posts

If the problem is between the carb and the tank it will be easy to diagnose.

Simply remove the fuel line from the carb, turn the petcock on, let it flow for a while, if fuel flows ok, then the problem is not there...

Get rid of the in line filter, they are nothing but trouble.

Replace the fuel hoses.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 12-26-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:05 PM
RicRides
Intermediate

I have fuel to carb, removed the line and let it run from tank to a gas can, drained about 1/2 gallon in a few minutes.

Old 12-26-2014, 03:48 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

I suggest you remove the carb again, and make sure it is cleaned thoroughly, and the float level is correct.

Inspect the large diaphragm above the slide.

Old 12-26-2014, 04:06 PM
RicRides
Intermediate

I will do that and let you know how it comes out.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:09 PM
RicRides
Intermediate

Okay I found one issue, i put a meter jet in wrong anr fixed it, now the bike starts but I still have the starvation issue when I drive the bike over 40 mph.

I did have to clean the plugs as they were carbon fouled. I am completely stumped, I have looked at the forums and done almost everything they suggested. No vaccum leaks, no air leaks use propane torch to check. The fuel flows from pepcock so it is not blocked. Bike has good acceleration when it runs but any time over 40 mph and it starves out.

Old 12-27-2014, 05:19 AM
enginesludge
Advanced

Same problem riding without any gas cap?

Old 12-27-2014, 05:55 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

If the plugs are fouled, the problem could be a float needle not closing properly, allowing the float bowl to overfill, causing a rich mixture.

Also, make sure the top of the emulsion tube is installed correctly, but usually the symptom of that is the bike wont go above idle.

Did you inspect the diaphragm?

Old 12-27-2014, 06:12 AM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Enginesludge was thinking like me about fuel starvation "to" the carb.
As the bike goes faster , the "demand" for fuel increases to the carb , you say the inline filter is empty when this happens.
This sounds like a "breather" problem of the fuel tank.
When the bike does this starvation thing , loosen the fuel cap and see if the bike speeds up.
If the fuel tank breather is plugged or restricted , the fuel will stop flowing at a certain demand/speed.
Air must be "let in" the tank to allow fuel to exit the tank.
Just a thought.
Mick

Quick Reply: CV Carb Issue pls Help