Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle sticking?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 05:42 PM
wiggum
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Throttle sticking?

Quick summary of events:

I'm new to working on motorcycles, but mechanically minded and have worked on cars for years.

Bought some new grips that were universal, so they used the OEM collars. They were "Posh Gum Grips" for those wondering. After reading some how tos and reviews I went at at. The left side came off easy, quick slit with an exacto knife and loosened the torx screws from the controls and slide the new one on. I will say I had to paint the end of the bars black on the left side because the grips were semi translucent and I needed a dark base to get the color effect I was going for. On the right side was a different story. Very difficult to get the grip off while retaining the OEM plastic collar. Loosened the two torx screws on the controls and went to town on it, took a while but got it done. Covered the new grip inside with hair spray (read this all over the interweb) and place it on the bars. Tightened down the torx all the way on the controls and done.

I noticed today that the throttle is not resetting itself. I turn it and it sticks. Did i do something wrong? So I need to oil anything? I never moved the OEM throttle tube or adjusted the cable. Are the Torx screws supposed to be all the way tight? Can't figure out where I went wrong.

Thanks

Old 12-26-2014, 06:00 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

Hairspray should have only been used on the left grip. The throttle grip needs to be able to spin freely.
Also did you loosen the throttle cable adjustment before installing the throttle grip?
Recheck your cable ends routing around the new grip.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:07 PM
wiggum
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Keep in mind i simply unglued the OEM grip from the factory throttle tube and hair sprayed on the new one. So i didn't mess with any cables at all, but needed the new grip to stick to the throttle tube.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:17 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by wiggum
Keep in mind i simply unglued the OEM grip from the factory throttle tube and hair sprayed on the new one. So i didn't mess with any cables at all, but needed the new grip to stick to the throttle tube.
Can't help you on this one, I've always changed the complete grip.

Old 12-26-2014, 07:12 PM
elfnyc
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

loosen the throttle lock---- the little star under the housing , maybe its to tight and needs adjusting ?
a simple grip swap shouldnt have changed anything unless u didnt do it correct lol

did u slide the grip all the way up against the throttle housing ?
if you did it wont return - u need to leave a space so it does not touch the housing

the little star bit under the grip

Old 12-26-2014, 07:14 PM
elfnyc
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

see the space between

Old 12-27-2014, 08:14 AM
subguy
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Loosen the torq screws on the throttle housing some. Does the throttle now spring back like it should? If so move the housing around a little while holding it tight by hand (instead of the torx screws) find a spot that the throttle returns as normal (works like it should) and while holding the housing there, tighten the torx screws as normal.

See if the above works for you.