Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SuperBrace 2010 Nightster

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 08:37 PM
337Nightster
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SuperBrace 2010 Nightster

I have a 2010 Nightster and at certain speeds I get a front end wobble, mostly when Im passing a car or hitting the grooves in the road. I hear SuperBrace is supposed to fix the wobbles or even tone it down. Im just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this product and give me an honest opinion before I purchase one because its not that cheap. Thanks in advance for comments and reviews.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:52 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

It will help I'm sure. I have used other brands on other bikes with success. However IMHO the main problem is your high bars. You probably grip them tight, to brace yourself as you go past a big vehicle, which induces those wobbles. When you relax after you've got by, your bike will return to 'normal'! I doubt if a brace will cure the problem but may well help.

Another aid is, believe it or not, earplugs. Especially at speed the noise levels increase, made noisier around a big vehicle. Try them as a super low cost tuning aid! They cured my problems with an early buck-horn Harley (which REALLY knew how to wobble!).

Old 01-29-2015, 07:06 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I see from your picture that you have the front fender still on the bike..the fender acts as a brace so the super brace will prolly not make a difference..i would look for the issue elsewhere..easiest is tire pressure and balance both front and rear tires need to be checked...next check rear tire alignment... make sure the front forks are straight (handlebars straight ahead when front tire is straight ahead).. check front steering head bearing for fall away ..check the tires for any type of cupping etc. (you need to do this with your hand, as you sometimes can't see the cupping but can feel it)...I am willing to be most of the issue is coming from the handle bars you have on the bike and the tire pressure, try some different tire pressures (within the range allowed for the tire) also try leaning more forward when you find the bike getting skittish to shift more weight onto the front end...

Old 01-29-2015, 07:44 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

The fender doesn't do much to support the forks, compared with a brace.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:09 PM
subguy
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I put a fork brace on my 2007 XL1200R. Did not use the Super Brace. Found the one on EBAY that looks and mounted just like the Super Brace for $65. Same size, everything. Worked well. Don't have to get a Super Brace.

But I agree with the others. More than likely you don't really need the brace. I got one as at over 100 MPH (I had a slight front end wobble). The brace got rid of that. It was really not necessary as I don't usually ride that speed, but if I did, I wanted to ensure I didn't have any wobble.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:38 AM
337Nightster
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
It will help I'm sure. I have used other brands on other bikes with success. However IMHO the main problem is your high bars. You probably grip them tight, to brace yourself as you go past a big vehicle, which induces those wobbles. When you relax after you've got by, your bike will return to 'normal'! I doubt if a brace will cure the problem but may well help.

Another aid is, believe it or not, earplugs. Especially at speed the noise levels increase, made noisier around a big vehicle. Try them as a super low cost tuning aid! They cured my problems with an early buck-horn Harley (which REALLY knew how to wobble!).
Originally Posted by mrfikser
I see from your picture that you have the front fender still on the bike..the fender acts as a brace so the super brace will prolly not make a difference..i would look for the issue elsewhere..easiest is tire pressure and balance both front and rear tires need to be checked...next check rear tire alignment... make sure the front forks are straight (handlebars straight ahead when front tire is straight ahead).. check front steering head bearing for fall away ..check the tires for any type of cupping etc. (you need to do this with your hand, as you sometimes can't see the cupping but can feel it)...I am willing to be most of the issue is coming from the handle bars you have on the bike and the tire pressure, try some different tire pressures (within the range allowed for the tire) also try leaning more forward when you find the bike getting skittish to shift more weight onto the front end...
Originally Posted by subguy
I put a fork brace on my 2007 XL1200R. Did not use the Super Brace. Found the one on EBAY that looks and mounted just like the Super Brace for $65. Same size, everything. Worked well. Don't have to get a Super Brace.

But I agree with the others. More than likely you don't really need the brace. I got one as at over 100 MPH (I had a slight front end wobble). The brace got rid of that. It was really not necessary as I don't usually ride that speed, but if I did, I wanted to ensure I didn't have any wobble.

Whats weird is the bike didnt always do this, it just started one day probably around 11k miles. I had taken the bike in the Harley 2 times now with this issue at hand, the first time they said that a wobble was not noticed by the technician, that I was probably gripping the bars too tight that I should try to loosen up just like you suggested. I tried and that helped a little but still a slight wobble at high speeds while passing or hitting the gooves. The second time they replaced multiple parts in the front end and still could not give me a straight answer as too why the bike is doing this so after keeping the bike for a couple weeks with no real results they ended up blaming it on the handle bar height and also that they were too far forward. But to me that didnt make sense Ive talked to other guys with apes and it seems like Im the only ******* that is dealing with this crap. I was hoping the superbrace would be a miracle device and help me out but we all know that would be too good to be true. Thanks for the input guys must appricated and if I ever figure this problem out I will update the post also if you guys maybe think of something else it could be please chime in.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:44 AM
lewk
Road Warrior
Received 213 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by 337Nightster
Whats weird is the bike didnt always do this, it just started one day probably around 11k miles.
This sounds familiar to me. My front-end just decided to develop a wobble one day and it would always happen at 40mph, no matter what gear I was in and no matter what I was doing (accelerating, braking, cruising)

Turns out my front tire had worn out in such a way that it caused that wobble.

I am on an 07 XL1200L if that matters.