Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1, to dyno or not to dyno

Old 01-28-2015, 06:52 PM
crazyfool710
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage 1, to dyno or not to dyno

I plan on getting a 2015 72 Sportster Harley Davidson. I've been saving up my money and in the mean time I've been doing a little bit of research. I've never owned a Harley or a motorcycle for that matter. So I'm new to everything but making an effort to learn little by little.

I know the first thing I want to do is a stage one on my Harley. So that would include new exhaust, air cleaner,exhaust gasket, and a fuel tuner (anything else missing?). I'm unsure of what exactly to get but after doing some looking around I for sure want the Vance and Hines ShortShots staggered exhaust. I know I'll be content with a stage 1 for now and maybe down the line as I become more motorcycle savy I'll do some more modifications. So I'm always going to want to have that option.

Now Ive been doing some researching and wondering if I should put my bike on a dyno to remap; or install a auto/fuel tuner and retune on a dyno; or just installing a fuel tuner and avoiding a dyno. I hear running on a dyno is expensive, a scam in some ways, hard on your bike, and not always necessary in some situations. At first I was thinking of just buying the pipes, air cleaner, etc. and having the Harley dealership install everything for me and putting it on the dyno but I feel like I wont get the full satisfaction of letting someone else mod my bike. I'd like a more hands on experience to learn and get to know my bike. If any statements/questions I've made could be answered that'd really help and much appreciated.

1. Does anyone know of an air cleaner that meets stage 1 requirements that's not as big as the stock a/c on the 72 sportster? I'd like to show more of the engine and not have such a bulky air cleaner. Suggestions or pics would be awesome!
    2. As far as the dyno vs fuel management subject..What is a good auto fuel tuner system that will keep my bike running smooth and healthy with out using a dyno EVER? If that's possible or even a good idea. This topic is a lil foggy but I'm trying my best to understand what's what.

-Like the power vision, what does that do exactly? Remaps your bikes engine right? And the Dyno Jet Auto Tune Kit is also compatible with the PC V. Does the auto kit just make the PC V auto controlled? Or does it serve another purpose? From what I read I could see by using the auto tune w the 18mm wide bands would be ideal for long run and constant engine health. As it gives an exact percentage to lean or rich.

-So would the FuelPackfp3 alone be a better bargain because it is a fuel tuner and auto tuner all into one? But I think the FP3 is illegal in California.?

-So then what would be the best fuel tuner to use on a 72 sportster to eliminate the dyno run? Along with constant visits and money spent if mods were continued? I might just want to switch exhaust up from time to time. I wouldn't like to visit a dyno shop for that. Thunder, cobra, etc.? Is there another component specific that I'm missing to add onto the bike besides a fuel tuner to make it it's own “dyno tester?”

Old 01-29-2015, 12:16 AM
    crazyfool710
    4th Gear

So if I was to get the Powervison installed on my bike I wouldn't have to worry about putting my bike on a dyno tester at all? It'll be sufficient in fuel tuning and remapping?

So the 72 sportster on stock has a narrow band sensor 12mm? I wasnt sure if it came with 12mm or 18mm wide band. I just might go the extra mile and get the auto tune kit add on just to ensure top quality care for my bike. It's going to be my only means of transportation and I plan on riding a lot. I don't have a car so I'll b on it throughout the whole year.

I do like the short shots. I like how clean it makes the bike look compared to the stock exhaust pipes. But nothing is set in stone. I have a couple of months to go till I purchase my 72 so I'm always still looking for information and bike parts.

Last edited by crazyfool710; 01-29-2015 at 12:35 AM.
    Old 01-29-2015, 12:44 AM
    DK Custom
    Platinum Sponsor
    Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by crazyfool710
    So if I was to get the Powervison installed on my bike I wouldn't have to worry about putting my bike on a dyno tester at all? It'll be sufficient in fuel tuning and remapping?

So the 72 sportster on stock has a narrow band sensor 12mm? I wasnt sure if it came with 12mm or 18mm wide band. I just might go the extra mile and get the auto tune kit add on just to ensure top quality care for my bike. It's going to be my only means of transportation and I plan on riding a lot. I don't have a car so I'll b on it throughout the whole year.

I do like the short shots. I like how clean it makes the bike look compared to the stock exhaust pipes. But nothing is set in stone. I have a couple of months to go till I purchase my 72 so I'm always still looking for information and bike parts.
    That is correct, you can get a very good tune out of a Power Vision Package, with no dyno needed. Click this LINK to learn more...it comes with AutoTune and uses the stock o2 sensors that come on the bike and are used in the Short Shots.

Shorts Shots, with just a bit of extra work, can produce some pretty good power. Check out the TTI's that work with them HERE

DKCustomProducts.com
    Call/Text: 662-252-8828
    Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 01-29-2015, 11:41 AM
    crazyfool710
    4th Gear

Originally Posted by DK Custom
    That is correct, you can get a very good tune out of a Power Vision Package, with no dyno needed.

Thank you so much for the reply . That cleared up any confusion and strengthened my decision in not putting my bike on a dyno test run. The link summed up the powervision and confirmed any questions I had lingering on the product as well. I watched other youtube videos last night on the powervision until I started falling in and out of sleep. That's when had to call it a night. lol

But once again thank you both for the replies. It gives me peace of mind in knowing what direction I will be going in with my Harley. Anyone have pics of air cleaners they put on there sportster that are stage 1? I'd love to see what you got on yours.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:38 PM
    MiNightster85
    Advanced

There was once a time when the dyno was the way to go. Now that all Harleys come with wide band O2 sensor the dyno is no longer needed unless you are racing. The newer "BCM" system does not need the dyno with the right tuner and a little bit of knowledge. Also the rumor going around is that the EPA is coming down hard on H-D for there tuner systems and that there are plans to get rid of them. Recently the Vance and Hines Rep was in my dealership pitching the FP3. I was able to get a deal through him on one for my softail and I like it better then the SE tuner. I have only used it on the dyno being that I live in Mi and its cold, but the concept is solid, and the functions are great. Also the rep informed me that there will soon be a firmware update coming out that will allow you to track your MC via GPS and shut the engine off if needed. Also I was impressed with the fact that they have a 24hr tech line to assist you with any issue you may have. If you are out riding and there is an issue with the tune or whatever you can call them and as long as its hooked up to the bike they can assist you, or even make the changes for you. I have used the Dynojet vision, and was not super impressed, I have nothing bad to say about it, but just not impressed. I am however impressed with the FP3.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:56 PM
    3bc
    Cruiser
    Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in the same boat as you last year with a Harley 48. I for sure was going to get the 48, short shots and the SE air intake that's all turned forward. I settled on the 48, but neither of the other bits. I'd ride the bike stock for at least a few hundred miles first, for a couple of reasons:

1. It sounds like you are a newb like I was/am and it wouldn't hurt gettingn some mileage under your belt before you start tearing the bike apart.

2. You'll quickly figure out what you like and don't like from a performance and aesthetic perspective and your mind may change (mine did).

3. When you do the stage one after riding for a bit, you'll appreciate the performance increase more than if you had no frame of reference.

I think the short shots look great on a 72, but everyone and their mum has got them on their bike and there is data out there to suggest they will actually make your bike slower, not faster. I settled on different pipes and AC than what I knew I had to have before riding for a while, and could not be happier. I also have the FP3 and would recommend it, but it's not spot on perfect.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:29 PM
    Zimbob
    Outstanding HDF Member
    Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You have some very good advise for a stage one. I had the Power Vision on my Road King and loved it. Great product.
    I do have a question though. Have you ever ridden a motorcycle on the streets? If not, you might want to look into taking a riders course before getting a bike. There have been more than a few that got a new bike and added all the bells and whistles to it only to find out that riding wasn't for them. Not saying this is the case, just an observation.

Old 01-31-2015, 05:56 AM
    grbrown
    Club Member
    Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
    Red face

As you are a newcomer to all this I recommend you buy the bike as it is, ride and enjoy it and let your ideas flow, from the saddle so to speak. There is no rush or desperate need to modify it right now! Once you are on the road you will come across other bikes and riders, hence fresh sources of inspiration you don't currently know of. Right now you are a bit like a kid in a candy store, looking to buy something, anything!!!! Stop - take a deep breath and take measured steps.

Take more time to browse in here and post pics when you get it home!

Old 01-31-2015, 07:24 AM
    Dun Roamin
    Banned
    Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are talking about hotting up a 1200cc shiny new Harley as your first bike?

No personally offence intended ... but I think you *are* being a crazyfool.

Don't do it. The pose can wait.

Buy an old, lighter Japanese and use it to all you learning on ... ride it until you hit it limits and you what they feel like and what to do there. The thing is, you are you to drop it. You are going to fall off it. You are going to make silly mistakes. And you don't want to do that on a shiny new H-D.

Spend around $2,000, try less. You'll get most of it back when you sell it.

The question you should be asking is, which bike should I learn on?

Besides, you won't look cool unless you know how to handle it.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:44 AM
    Thingfish
    Grand HDF Member
    Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

All good advice here. ASSuming you are a new rider, make sure you get the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) basic rider course under your belt. It's about $200 and well worth it.

As for getting a 72 as your first bike (again, I'm assuming) might be just fine. The MSF will give you a better idea of what you feel comfortable with on two wheels.

If you do go with a 72 (which will always wait for you if you decide to start on something smaller) you should set a few bucks aside for a better seat. I love my 72, but it has to be the worst excuse for a stock seat Harley has ever produced.

Eventually a better suspension will be on your list to.

The DK Custom Thunder Torque Inserts are a great add to your pipes for about $18, especially if you go for the Short Shots.

The 72 is a blast. Enjoy the ride.

Last edited by Thingfish; 01-31-2015 at 11:06 AM.

Search this Thread
    Quick Reply: Stage 1, to dyno or not to dyno