Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help! Removing Slip-ons with crossover pipe

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 10:48 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts
Default Need Help! Removing Slip-ons with crossover pipe

Okay, I read several threads and did research on how to remove slip-on and it seems pretty easy. But the information did not mention removal or disconnecting the crossover pipes. My Sportster has crossover pipes connected to the slip-ons. (not the header pipes).

Will the exhaust move that much away from the crossover connection (I say need about 1" to the side) that it will slide out?

Any help is very much appreciated. I will be getting my 3" Bassani slip ons tomorrow and just preparing to remove the existing slip-ons.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:25 AM
mike hawk
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You loosen the header pipe flanges. This will allow the slip-ons (and header pipe) to 'swing' free of the crossover.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:34 AM
mike hawk
Cruiser

Loosen both flanges up, and you'll be able to wiggle the slip-ons back on to the crossover.

Then bolt on the slip-ons, re-torque the header flanges, and finally tighten the muffler clamps. In that order.

Word of advice... Some penetrating lube may help with removal of the old mufflers. One came off quite easily for me. The other was a bitch, requiring much effort.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:52 AM
mike hawk
Cruiser

Oh! One final thing... Most recommend replacing the crossover "crush sleeves or crush washers" or whatever the hell they're called. Two of them. One for each muffler.

Also, new muffler clamps is also recommended. I did both. The crush washers were included with my muffs. The clamps you'll likely have to source from Hardley.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:52 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Thank you for the advice. Unfamiliar with terminology, the flange that you are referring to are the ones for the cylinder...where are these flanges?

Another question - in a review of the Bassani slip-ons, someone said it does not have a crossover connection. I this normal for aftermarket slip-ons? Can you run the exhaust without the crossover pipes?

Old 02-05-2015, 04:05 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

The flanges bolt to the exhaust port on your heads. There are a lot of exhaust systems that dont have a crossover pipe

Old 02-05-2015, 04:05 AM
mike hawk
Cruiser

The flange is what 'holds' the header pipe to the head of the engine. Two bolts hold each on. On the engine itself... Those four bolts will need to be loosened.

And those pipes don't have a crossover inlet? Not sure what to say, other than you don't need them. If they still fit, I guess all is good. Be prepared for a loss of low end torque without utilizing the crossover though...

Old 02-05-2015, 09:51 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Got it.....thanks for the info.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:30 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

I was told 99% of aftermarket slip ons do not have crossover ports. I learned that crossover balancing tube is part of the mounting bracket for the slip-ons so does not appear to be removable.

If you installed aftermarket slip-ons on your sporty, what did you do with the crossover tube that is no longer being used? Did anyone remove it (i.e. cut it off) or just plugged the ends...and if so, with what?

CORRECTION: The vendor that told me 99% of aftermarket slip-ons do not have crossovers, retracted his statement and indicated MOST do have crossovers.

Last edited by hscic; 02-06-2015 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:42 PM
mike hawk
Cruiser

The crossover doubles as the mount, so something has to be there to the bolt the mufflers to. It is a one piece deal.

The crossover/mount is pretty well hidden, but I'm sure some aftermarket manufacturer produces some kind of mount without the crossover channel built in...

Quick Reply: Need Help! Removing Slip-ons with crossover pipe