Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smart Security System

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 03:59 PM
Airframer
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Smart Security System

I have a 2014 Iron. I thought if you get the smart security system you could run your bike with out the key. I've installed it on my bike, the dealer programmed the FOBS, just got home and messing with it trying to figure out how to run it with out the key with out success. Starts fine with the key and I see the alarm arming and disarming itself. Am I missing something? Is there more required for key-less ignitions than just the smart security system?

Old 02-12-2015, 04:23 PM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,497 Likes on 786 Posts

They key is required to be in the bike for it to run. Might be able to fab something up to make it keyless, but HD's security kit alone won't make it so. Its just looking for the fob to arm/disarm.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:53 PM
Airframer
Tourer

Thank you for responding, but I wonder how this was accomplished? Also the owners manual talks about the alarm system and how to use it if you have a key-less ignition.

Last edited by Airframer; 02-12-2015 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:22 PM
Zenmervolt
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.harley-davidson.com/conte...13/news58.html

It appears that the keyless ignition requires more than just the security system. You'd need to do some re-wiring around the ignition lock to make it truly keyless since the ignition lock is a physical switch and if it's off, there's no way you could have a keyless setup work.

A full retrofit is probably technically possible, but I doubt it'd be easy to figure out exactly what parts are necessary.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:14 PM
Airframer
Tourer

Originally Posted by Zenmervolt
http://www.harley-davidson.com/conte...13/news58.html

It appears that the keyless ignition requires more than just the security system. You'd need to do some re-wiring around the ignition lock to make it truly keyless since the ignition lock is a physical switch and if it's off, there's no way you could have a keyless setup work.

A full retrofit is probably technically possible, but I doubt it'd be easy to figure out exactly what parts are necessary.
So, it sounds like it's possible when Harley puts out a key-less model they may use a different wiring harness that wires the job of the ignition switch to the on/off switch on the handlebars. Another thing I've noticed is all the key-less models I've seen on youtube video's have the smart siren as well. I wonder if that's the only difference. I don't want to buy it if it's not though..... Cost $100

Last edited by Airframer; 02-12-2015 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:16 PM
elfnyc
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

u can wire the switch to make that happen

the only true keyless system i know of and have had on other bikes if from
http://www.digitalguarddawg.com/

my old scoot is featured on there in the video ... i dont work for them or get kick backs or anything ... but the system was always flawless for me
i dont need it anymore as iv wired my switch with a toggle
but this system combines 2 in one - a rfid keyless fob (security system)
and no keys needed - they also have a tracking program thats new to track locate an kill the bike all together i think

if your looking for something along those lines check them out for sure

Old 02-12-2015, 08:23 PM
Airframer
Tourer

Originally Posted by elfnyc
u can wire the switch to make that happen

the only true keyless system i know of and have had on other bikes if from
http://www.digitalguarddawg.com/

my old scoot is featured on there in the video ... i dont work for them or get kick backs or anything ... but the system was always flawless for me
i dont need it anymore as iv wired my switch with a toggle
but this system combines 2 in one - a rfid keyless fob (security system)
and no keys needed - they also have a tracking program thats new to track locate an kill the bike all together i think

if your looking for something along those lines check them out for sure
Thanks for the info. I know Harley did it some how, I just wish I knew how. I'm not interested in that system since I already have the Harley security system on the bike and I'm not looking for another. Then I would need two key fobs... I'm wondering if Harley just puts a closed circuit cap on the key switch connector and has the smart security with the siren. The only hole in that equation is if you turn the key to the on position and then click off the on/off switch on the handlebars the bike's electrics don't turn off where the video's of the factory key-less sportsters it does.

Last edited by Airframer; 02-12-2015 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:05 PM
Zenmervolt
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Airframer
The only hole in that equation is if you turn the key to the on position and then click off the on/off switch on the handlebars the bike's electrics don't turn off where the video's of the factory key-less sportsters it does.
Yup, that's the problem. There has to be something more with the keyless setup to prevent that issue but I don't know what it is.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:27 AM
Airframer
Tourer

It's possible it's programmed into the BCM too. I'm going to stop by the dealer and talk with the service guys today to see if they know. I called the parts counter yesterday and he had no idea what he was talking about. He said no sportsters have keyless and only some of the top of the line harley models have it...

I also scoured the wiring diagram last night looking at it again and again. There is nothing special as far as optional parts added to the main harness that hasn't been discussed. I know these guys have to work on keyless bikes too so I don't think there is a different harness because there is no different wiring diagram for keyless.

I'll post today's findings tonight when I get home.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:24 AM
subguy
Road Master

My 2014 Forty Eight has keyless ignition. No ignition switch at all (not installed). If you have an ignition switch, you don't have keyless ignition. Like ABS, the keyless ignition is an option for the 2014/2015 Sportsters. I have no ignition key. Just a FOB and a key for locking the forks....and the smart security system does not come with an audible alarm stock (keyless ignition or not).

Last edited by subguy; 02-13-2015 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Adding more information

Quick Reply: Smart Security System