Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whom do you ride with?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 09:13 AM
ib5150
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am a member of a Riding Club, thou all (26) except one (Honda) are Harley's I personally don't care what a person wants to ride because it is not so much about the bike as it is brotherhood and enjoying the road together.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:44 AM
OddJack
Road Warrior
Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by shawnryan111
Wow out of 80 post you are the only one that said you would only ride with Harleys LOL. (unless I missed one)

I have heard about some Harley guys being like this but I just don’t get it. Who cares what kind of bike you have if you want to ride with me you can. As far as it not looking right I would agree to a point, crotch rockets riding with cruisers or touring bikes don’t look right but still who cares. I ride my sporty with Goldwings sometimes, maybe it doesn’t look right but who cares. They complain a little about my loud pipes but they are down with it. If you want to get right down to it, maybe sportsters don’t look right riding with road kings. (A sportster riding with a Shadow would “look” closer to right).

The only thing I wouldn’t want to do is ride with a bunch of crotch rockets that want to fly but that is just because I would be scared I was holding them back or I couldn’t keep up (or both).
Hey there shawnrayan,

I didnt say I ride only with Harleys. Ever since I bought my bike I have ridden only solo or with my gf in the back. If my neighbor who owns a sports bike came along me riding I woudlnt push him away.
But, if I were to go and look for parties to ride with I wouldnt just go to "anybody". I would look into Harleys or at least cruisers whos bike look like mine.

I believe people who said "anybody" are merely expressing their goodwill. But in reality we do not see that happening. How of ten do you see a sportster riding with a dual sport or a Ninja who are actually " Riding together" ? in a way, it's like dating. Would you date with "anybody"?

Harleys are accompanied by other Harleys or at very least by look alike cruisers like shadows or vulcans and so on.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:53 PM
Eisentreiber
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably way more about your riding style than about the bikes involved.

I ride with people I can relate to. 1st choice of riding buddy is my wife. As we both prefer a relaxed cruising style, it fits well, although hers is a Moto Guzzi V7 Classic 750 cc, and mine the hog. Both bikes have similar tank volume and similar MPG, so we can nicely take on even extended tours, just typically 150 mi per day, adding coffee breaks and visiting places (e. g., for the occasional good Bratwurst).

Now, some friends of ours ride BMW 1200s, but they prefer to ride 300+ mi per day, and therefore we haven't chosen to ride together yet. Too different riding pace would spoil the fun IMO.

Last edited by Eisentreiber; 11-24-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:57 PM
nightstermass
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ill ride with anyone .... but I wave to no one .. I own a jeep between that and bike i got permanent tendonitis.. Ill be in the jeep and wave at a bike without thinking and thats where i draw the line.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:19 PM
HDavidA
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i will ride with anyone. Ill also wave to anyone that rides, scooters included.

When i rode my Ducati I always got a kick out of waving to the Harley guys to get no response. Know that I am on the Harleys I get a kick out o the sport bikes that wont wave.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:50 PM
OddJack
Road Warrior
Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

Wave has more to do with the rider than the bike he rides. I've seen more waves from sports bike than any other. And I have only seen Harley riders who look the other way to not to wave or to wave back.

I wave only in response.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:43 AM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm glad to ride with most anybody. However the few exceptions are: (1) People that ride 5 to 10 mph under the speed limit. I was riding the freeway with a friend that did 10 under in the far left lane. That's scary ****. I just blasted ahead to meet at destination. (2) People with small tanks that have to stop for gas every 75 to 80 miles. What a PITA! (3) Trikes, it takes more patients then I have. They get stuck in traffic jams, can't split lanes to the front of a red light, and can't corner for crap. Might as well be riding with an RV. Other than that, I'll cruise with anybody on any brand of bike

Old 11-26-2014, 06:03 AM
shackdaddy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only ride with my fellow Hell's Satans. Me, Homer, Lenny and the boys tear it up on a regular basis.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:29 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

My best riding partner rides a Honda Goldwing, He rides the **** out'a that thing.
He also has a Honda VTX 1800, a Honda Rune, a BMW and 3 Harleys.
I usually ride alone because I like the freedom of making a snap decision as to where I'm gonna go next without having to consult whoever I might be riding with, when I do want to ride with someone I call him first because he's a very skilled rider and can run the twisties with me without wetting his pants like most "Harley riders" do.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:46 AM
MotaMan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually ride alone, or with my gf on the back. She's learning to ride on a small V-Star, but she's only comfortable riding around town so far.

As for other bikes, who cares what they're riding? I'll ride with anybody - sometimes with a few guys from work who ride sport bikes. They are usually surprised that I can (mostly) keep up with them in the twisties. On the straightaways, I let them have their 140 mph fun, and just catch up with them later. I got that out of my system when I was their age or younger.

The first time I rode with them, they let me lead so they didn't 'go too fast for me'. When we hit the first twisty road, I was pulling away from them at 80 mph through the curves. They didn't know what to say when we stopped for a water break. They didn't know me (some of them weren't born yet) when I had an RZ500R a few decades ago.

Last edited by MotaMan; 11-27-2014 at 07:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Whom do you ride with?