Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust recoating

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 09:19 AM
shackdaddy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust recoating

So my exhaust has started to turn a funky purple color from the original Vance and Hines black. Ive looked into sending it off to a couple of places to have it recoated, but after shipping and the coating costs, I might as well just buy a new exhaust. So Ive decided to give the ol rattle can a shot.

Im looking at using VHT flameproof primer, with black flameproof paint and then the satin clear. It is rated at 2000 degrees so the temperatures arent a concern. What Im wondering, is what is the best way to prep the surface. Ive seen some guys say to just clean it really good and other sand it down to give a rough surface. Ive even seen some guys have the pipes sand blasted. I know there are a few guys on here that have gone the rattle can route and am just trying to figure out what works best. Any tips?

Old 02-26-2015, 09:40 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I used the VHT black flame proof header paint (2000 degree)

I did not use the primer or the clear.

It looks really good and it's surprisingly tough.

Sanding or blasting is always a good idea for paint prep. Blasting is really good but can be dangerous on thin areas (distortion.) I sanded mine really good with 180 grit, then cleaned it with Prep-All.

Two things though.
The paint is very delicate until properly cured per the instructions. It may look and feel dry, but it's not hard until its cured at temperature.
This paint is nasty. Black ceramic dust flies all over the place and will get in your pores, and any other exposed area. The **** is really bad for you. Cover yourself from head to toe, then cover everything in your garage. The dust is dry and washes off easily, but it flies EVERYWHERE.

In the end though, the results are very good.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:16 AM
shackdaddy
Cruiser

Ive read about it being bad to use in a closed area. I was planning to cover up pretty good and do it outside since it is supposed to be pretty nice this weekend. Did you do the curing process on the bike or take it to a location with an oven? Im wondering if the oven would be better. It seems like most guys do it on the bike. I know of a local powdercoat shop but they dont do ceramic coatings at this time. Maybe I could pay them 20 bucks to use the oven or something. My concern with curing it on the bike is that as you said, the paint isnt the strongest until it is cured and Im worried I will mess it up when reinstalling it prior to curing.

Do you have any better pics of the exhaust? Im not so sure on the using the clear or not. Ive also heard that the primer isnt neccessary either, but I figured better safe than sorry.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:20 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I cured the first stage in my kitchen oven. (Don't tell my wife.)

I let the bike do the rest.

Messing it up during installation is the biggest risk. Use painter's tape to cover the parts close to the head. It works great.

Here's s better pic.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:50 PM
shackdaddy
Cruiser

Thanks for the info man. It looks good but I think i will add the clear to get a little more shine out of it. Unfortunately, I dont think my oven is big enough to get my ehaust in it. I also question the safety of doing that were my food is cooked as well. This looks like a pretty simple process and should save me quite a bit of money.