Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biker's Choice MATT BLACK POP UP GAS CAP-VTD

Old 03-02-2015, 04:17 PM
Delnorin
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Biker's Choice MATT BLACK POP UP GAS CAP-VTD

I purchased this item from Amazon.com for $40.

Totally stoked and excited when it came in today.

Problem is, it can only screw in about 1 turn and then the breather tube inside the cap well hits the inside of this cap and the cam can not screw in fully to seal. 2-3 complete twists of the threads still remain up in the air (fully unusable gas cap).

Is there some way to cut down the vent tube inside the cap well? Without expoloding the bike in the garage?

2015 Harley-Davidson Iron 883, 3.3 gal tank.

Amazon.com: Biker's Choice MATT BLACK POP UP GAS CAP-VTD: Automotive Amazon.com: Biker's Choice MATT BLACK POP UP GAS CAP-VTD: Automotive

Old 03-02-2015, 05:08 PM
Airframer
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if its just hitting the bottom threaded part of the cap, it might be easier to put a screwdriver or something similar in the breather tub and just slightly bend it. not too much though, dont want it to buckle. if it buckles you could screw up your tank though, just something to consider if its worth the risk for the cap.

safest way to cut is to drain all the gas and fill it till its up to the breather tub with water, maybe a couple times to flush remaining gas. fill as full as possible to where you will be cutting. you will need to remove it from the bike and flush some times with gas after. also consider is this worth the risk and work for a cap.

Last edited by Airframer; 03-02-2015 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:23 PM
blueracer
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Delnorin
I purchased this item from Amazon.com for $40.

Totally stoked and excited when it came in today.

Problem is, it can only screw in about 1 turn and then the breather tube inside the cap well hits the inside of this cap and the cam can not screw in fully to seal. 2-3 complete twists of the threads still remain up in the air (fully unusable gas cap).

Is there some way to cut down the vent tube inside the cap well? Without expoloding the bike in the garage?

2015 Harley-Davidson Iron 883, 3.3 gal tank.

Amazon.com: Biker's Choice MATT BLACK POP UP GAS CAP-VTD: Automotive
I have one of these and it screwed right in with no modification on a 2007.
Somethings not right. You shouldn't have to modify your tank......
Edit-I just looked at the listing on Ebay and in the reviews they talk about the device not fitting correctly on current models, for what it's worth.

Last edited by blueracer; 03-02-2015 at 05:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
slvrscoobie (07-16-2016)
Old 03-02-2015, 05:28 PM
Airframer
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

48-2529 is the part number on amazon, maybe check your cap is the same p/n.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:38 PM
Delnorin
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Airframer
48-2529 is the part number on amazon, maybe check your cap is the same p/n.
That is the exact one that I purchased. Same seller also.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:56 PM
Delnorin
Cruiser

Removed by poster - replied to wrong post.

Last edited by Delnorin; 03-03-2015 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:58 PM
Delnorin
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Airframer
if its just hitting the bottom threaded part of the cap, it might be easier to put a screwdriver or something similar in the breather tub and just slightly bend it. not too much though, dont want it to buckle. if it buckles you could screw up your tank though, just something to consider if its worth the risk for the cap.

safest way to cut is to drain all the gas and fill it till its up to the breather tub with water, maybe a couple times to flush remaining gas. fill as full as possible to where you will be cutting. you will need to remove it from the bike and flush some times with gas after. also consider is this worth the risk and work for a cap.
It is not hitting the threaded portion of the cap. It is hitting the center post. The cap has a push down/turn center cylinder that houses the spring for the pop-up mechanism. The stainless steel breather tube is hitting this center cylinder in the middle of the cap.

I attempted the screwdriver bend. I am unable to accomplish this, the tube is stainless steel and is welded in place. It's not moving unless I do serious damage to the entire tank.

Currently I am attempting a careful placement of a rag to keep any shavings out of the tank and using a drill bit on a hand T-bar and slowly hand turning the bit and eating the breather tube down. It takes about 10 minutes to shave off 1/16th of an inch. But it's working.

Last edited by Delnorin; 03-03-2015 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Fixing post confusion
Old 03-03-2015, 08:15 PM
Delnorin
Cruiser

I made it work. It took a bit over two hours of tedious and strenuous work but I got it to work.

Made a blog with pictures and explanations. Could re-post here if people insist.

https://delnorin.wordpress.com/2015/...op-up-gas-cap/

Old 03-03-2015, 11:32 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

I had the same problem with the same gas cap.

Today I decided to see if I could "fix" it/make it fit.

Took about 10 minutes and some care, with a pair of channel locks. I pinched the tube to make it about 1/3 narrower. Still plenty of space in the tube to breathe, but no longer interferes with the gas cap screwing all the way down and sealing at the rubber gasket.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 03-04-2015, 02:04 PM
Delnorin
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DK Custom
I had the same problem with the same gas cap.

Today I decided to see if I could "fix" it/make it fit.

Took about 10 minutes and some care, with a pair of channel locks. I pinched the tube to make it about 1/3 narrower. Still plenty of space in the tube to breathe, but no longer interferes with the gas cap screwing all the way down and sealing at the rubber gasket.
You are considerably stronger than I am. I attempted the tube modification and it laughed and mocked at me with no care of my feelings.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Biker's Choice MATT BLACK POP UP GAS CAP-VTD