Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

building a seat for the 48

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 11:49 PM
scottylonebull
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by OddJack
Why didnt you use the stock seatt to build it on?
to be honest, when I took it off, I never thought I would use it again since it sucked so bad, so I sold it.
I did like the look of the stock seat so a couple of weeks ago I thought about looking for a similar looking seat that was more comfortable and I thought of this project. realistically, I cant see the sporty 8 being much more comfortable than stock so I figured i'd try and add the gel and see what happens.
if this don't work, i'll try the lapera bare bones even though its a little bulkier than i'm looking for. I had one on my fatboy and it was fine, I rode from NY to Laconia and my *** was fine.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:30 AM
OddJack
Road Warrior
Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by scottylonebull
to be honest, when I took it off, I never thought I would use it again since it sucked so bad, so I sold it.
I did like the look of the stock seat so a couple of weeks ago I thought about looking for a similar looking seat that was more comfortable and I thought of this project. realistically, I cant see the sporty 8 being much more comfortable than stock so I figured i'd try and add the gel and see what happens.
if this don't work, i'll try the lapera bare bones even though its a little bulkier than i'm looking for. I had one on my fatboy and it was fine, I rode from NY to Laconia and my *** was fine.
I like the look of the stock seat too. I paid someone to make me a foam cover to make it more comfy. The problem was it's easy to slide off it when you are accelerating. No seat grabs my rear better than this mustang seat I put on. It's much safer as well as comfortable.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:30 AM
scottylonebull
Road Master

Originally Posted by OddJack
I like the look of the stock seat too. I paid someone to make me a foam cover to make it more comfy. The problem was it's easy to slide off it when you are accelerating. No seat grabs my rear better than this mustang seat I put on. It's much safer as well as comfortable.
I know, I end up on my fender constantly, even with the RSD seat on takeoff. i'm going to try to cut the seat a little deeper in the rear section maybe with a higher *** gripping back lip to keep me from sliding back. my buddy that's going to rebuild it has a furniture refinishing shop in manhattan so hopefully he can work some magic

Old 03-20-2015, 07:41 PM
scottylonebull
Road Master

ok, so the seats at the shop. were going to cut out the middle of the seat to fit the gell pad in to perfectly line up with the original height, at the red line in the picture, were going to make that area a little deeper by shaving the original foam so we can have a bit of a rear lip, so not to slide back so easily on takeoff. i'm going to have a 1/4" felt piece and a dacron foam cutout to go over the gell area on top, to keep the heat off my *** from the gell in the summer, then finish it with a distressed black leather cover.

now here's my question....the pan is made of a hard plastic, so my friend said he would have to glue the pad to the pan. that doesn't sound to permanent to me, i'd hate to have the seat rip off the pan when i'm on the highway. he doesn't want to drill or put tacks for fear of the plastic pan cracking. does this sound right? ive emailed and called biltwell this week but have heard back from them.

Attached Thumbnails building a seat for the 48-1photo3.jpg  
Old 03-20-2015, 07:54 PM
OddJack
Road Warrior
Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

ok, so the seats at the shop. were going to cut out the middle of the seat to fit the gell pad in to perfectly line up with the original height, at the red line in the picture, were going to make that area a little deeper by shaving the original foam so we can have a bit of a rear lip, so not to slide back so easily on takeoff. i'm going to have a 1/4" felt piece and a dacron foam cutout to go over the gell area on top, to keep the heat off my *** from the gell in the summer, then finish it with a distressed black leather cover.

now here's my question....the pan is made of a hard plastic, so my friend said he would have to glue the pad to the pan. that doesn't sound to permanent to me, i'd hate to have the seat rip off the pan when i'm on the highway. he doesn't want to drill or put tacks for fear of the plastic pan cracking. does this sound right? ive emailed and called biltwell this week but have heard back from them.
I dont see how the pad can come off with a strong glue. You are sitting on it after all. There is no upward pressure to make it rip off. I think it will work.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:10 PM
TheMakani
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wouldn't the leather cover need to be tacked/stapled on anyway?

Old 03-20-2015, 08:33 PM
Rollbar
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

won't come apart.

I did some reconstruction on my seat and I went to HDepot. Go some short screws in those little baggies and some furniture washers in those little baggies and pulled it tight and screwed it into the plastic pan. Didn't break and I might have used to many but ,,,,,,,,,,,

Note: seat was already cracked from PO. It had staples in it and they were a pain to get out, rusted.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:46 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

The pad will glue on just fine, contact cement the pad will rip in half before comeing off.
He will have to drill holes for rivets or screws on the cover pretty common with no problems.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:08 PM
scottylonebull
Road Master

ok cool. thanks guys.

@themakani... his intention is to wrap the foam seat by itself with the leather, then glue it to the pan....
or should he do it like rollpan did with the screws on the outside of the pan?

Old 04-25-2015, 04:06 AM
scottylonebull
Road Master

just got my seat back today from my buddy all finished! even if it's not comfortable, it looks cool as hell! lol
hopefully it will warm up today so I can put it on...

Attached Thumbnails building a seat for the 48-fullsizerender7.jpg   building a seat for the 48-fullsizerender.jpg   building a seat for the 48-fullsizerenderr.jpg   building a seat for the 48-img_0835.jpg   building a seat for the 48-img_0833.jpg  

Last edited by scottylonebull; 04-25-2015 at 04:11 AM.

Quick Reply: building a seat for the 48