Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with finding rear signal parts

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 08:41 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyScuba
My #1 choice is FigureFinishing.com. They have an impeccable reputation and their standard of quality is always top shelf. Dude gets busy and has a back-log, so patience is required.
#2 is Independent Finishing. Maybe, a little cheaper (or about the same $) and, possibly, faster than FigureFinishing, but quality may suffer. They're middle-of-the-road. Decent turn-around and price, with, usually, acceptable quality. I haven't used them in about 6 years, since I discovered #1.
#3, American Stripping. They batch process. Black parts could take 2 days, or three weeks, depending on your time in the batch cycle. Quality is so-so, but they guarantee their work (as do the previous) and will re-powder the piece if you're not happy. They have a problem masking any holes or threads. Typically, there will be excessive clean-up involved (thread chasing and bore cleaning), after the part has been coated. They're good if you want a go-kart frame coated, or because they can be the cheapest. I haven't used their services for at least 10 years. Hot chick in the front office, but they're not worth my time.
All of these are located in Manassas, within a mile of each other. I'm not familiar with any outfits in FFX, but I bet there's more than one. #1, above, has been known to perform the custom powder coating jobs for Patriot. #1 is very particular about the quality of their service, but you might have to wait.
Home powder coating is possible. Besides the HF kit and a toaster oven, get a sandblasting cabinet, too.
"The Powder Pro", is a sponsor of the forum. I can't remember his member name.
Cool ... thank you for that info. Thinking about having my Springer stock wire wheels coated, but need to research that more.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:01 PM
tvon
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Good info thanks.. i'm on the hunt for some cheap stock parts on fleabay or on the forums. Hoping to get the bike ready for spring!

Old 03-06-2015, 08:07 AM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by run1fsr
Cool ... thank you for that info. Thinking about having my Springer stock wire wheels coated, but need to research that more.
The factory wheels on my Softail Standard had hoops that were not chrome. I replaced the front with a chrome, 21" wheel from a Dyna Wideglide. I'm not sure if the Springers came with chrome hoops, or not (FXSTS or FLSTS). I'm guessing they're chrome. While it's entirely possible to powder coat chrome, I've done it to numerous pieces that have held up for years, I haven't had wire wheels powdered. I would think you'd be better off having a non-chrome wheel powdered. If the chrome fails under the powder, the powder coating will look like ***. Some coaters won't guarantee their work when coating chrome. The wheels should be dis-assembled before coating. IMHO, attention to detail would be critical for spokes, hub, nipples and hoops. Start to finish, $150 per wheel wouldn't surprise me, but I'm only guessing.
I know a place in Fredericksburg that can handle the entire process, from dis-assembly, coating and re-assembly. It's the only shop I'll let touch any of my bikes. It's a No Bullshit Zone. I've never heard anything but the truth come out of Brian's mouth. It's worth the drive, or, at least, a phone call.
Olde Towne Cycle in Fredericksburg, VA.