Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Guard Mounting Bolts Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 02:28 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts
Default Engine Guard Mounting Bolts Question

I am installing a HD engine guard on my 2011 Sportster Low. It appears simple BUT wanted to find out from those that have removed the engine mount bolts connected to the horn which are the same bolts used to secure the top bracket on the engine guard.

I can see two engine mount brackets which may be stabilizers attached to the horn bracket. When the two bolts are removed, will the engine mount brackets move out of alignment or will they stay in place i.e. will the bolts come off without having to hold everything in position?

Thank you

Last edited by hscic; 03-06-2015 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:05 AM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

Mine stayed in place with no problem and everything lined up great.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:43 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Guzzi
Mine stayed in place with no problem and everything lined up great.
Thanks Guzzi...just wanted to avoid issues having to reinstall the engine mounts. Did you have any issues breaking those screws...I read in some older threads that it would not come loose even with long breaker bars.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:15 AM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

No problem at all, but then again I'm not on a island surrounded by saltwater.
HD has the instructions online in the products page for the guards.
They list instructions for most parts in their online catalog in fine print.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:44 AM
nathan-hd48
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

My only advice is make sure you have order of the mounting plate for the horn and for the engine guard right. I initially had it swapped and the bolt holes didn't align on the bottom. Also obtaining an extra set of hands helps while bolting everything into place.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:57 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Guzzi - thanks for the heads up on the instructions. Did not know they had instructions online.

Nathan - What is the right order? Sorry need to install myself...can't ask the wife since she doesn't know I bought the crash bars among other things....LOL. Got if off CL for $50 in like-new condition. Thanks

Old 03-06-2015, 12:26 PM
nathan-hd48
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I can't recall the order (sorry) and I can't go look since it's garaged in a different state for the winter. But my advice would be to softly bolt the lower part and see where things line up and then you'll be able to tell if the horn mount goes between the frame and the engine guard or not.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:45 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by nathan-hd48
I can't recall the order (sorry) and I can't go look since it's garaged in a different state for the winter. But my advice would be to softly bolt the lower part and see where things line up and then you'll be able to tell if the horn mount goes between the frame and the engine guard or not.
Not necessary - thanks. I just pulled the instructions from the Harley site as suggested by Guzzi, and it was good enough. It indicated the guard bracket goes between the horn bracket and the upper tie-link bracket.

Thanks for the heads up.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:18 PM
frannieannie
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

i have a 2010 sportster and i installed an HD engine guard. I had a real problem cracking the bolts, but then i'm not that strong and didnt have the right tools. I was more afraid i would knock the bike over while trying to crack the bolts. I don't have a lift or any chocks for the bike. I ended up calling a muscleman type of guy i work with. He even had trouble but managed to loosen them for me while i held the handlebars and position ed myself so the bike wouldn't topple over. You might want to have someone to help you. I think the guy put some type of grease on the bolts...can't remember what it was...dielectric or silicone ... whatever the case he tightened the bolts well for me.

Old 03-07-2015, 02:45 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

It is not in the instructions but the horn or horn bracket needs to be removed in order to give you more space to access the two bolts in the upper tie-in bracket. I chose to remove the horn (one screw) instead of the horn mounting bracket (three screws). Also replaced the torque screws with 1 1/2" hex bolt to minimize chances of stripping.

Last edited by hscic; 03-11-2015 at 02:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Engine Guard Mounting Bolts Question