Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Buy Slip On exhaust for 883 Iron

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 03:36 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Guzzi
The "Crossover Port" is mounted to the header and not the Muffler bodies on the newer bikes. Click on the link to verify the "crossover port" is on the muffler.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-06-8041504--1
port? what's the meaning of this? those muffs look no different from old ones. mounting bar thing and all.

i am 100% ignorant and talking well out of school. Make no mistake about it. i'm attacking "can't"

looks like you just need that mounting bar from older bikes. i could be 100% wrong. only diff i see. the new muff don't have that that 3rd round gasketed thing that's on the older ones. nothing that can't be handled...

http://www.harley-davidson.com/shop/...hTermScope=-99

Last edited by cvaria; 03-21-2015 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:41 PM
Blackhawk66
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to be real happy with 10hp increase, the review link was friggin great. I don't have the mechanical skills to do the custom job and the dealership would totally rip me off for doing the work so slip ons are back on the menu. I would prefer black slip ons, i will look and see whether Bassani or BUBBS do them. Now time to start the search for a good hi flow air filter- on another post sombody stated that Screaming Eagle was best. I wonder if there has ever been a dyno test with air filters?

Old 03-21-2015, 03:42 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
port? what's the meaning of this? those muffs look no different from old ones. mounting bar thing and all.

i am 100% ignorant and talking well out of school. Make no mistake about it. i'm attacking "can't"
Those the Slip ons for 05 and earlier models.....click on the 2nd pic near the flange and there is a 1 inch crossover port present where the neck narrows down. Even in the main pic, just behind the foot-peg and bottom side of the body, the crossover port is visible.
Late model Sportsters slip ons crossover ports are located on the header.
How would you plug the crossover port on the earlier model Screaming Eagle pipes to prevent a major exhaust leak, short of welding it shut? Also with no crossover port, I'm sure there would be a loss of low end torque.
This commercial airline mechanic would like to know how you propose to fix these two problem?

Last edited by Guzzi; 03-21-2015 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:10 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Guzzi
Those the Slip ons for 05 and earlier models.....click on the 2nd pic near the flange and there is a 1 inch crossover port present where the neck narrows down. Even in the main pic, just behind the foot-peg and bottom side of the body, the crossover port is visible.
Late model Sportsters slip ons crossover ports are located on the header.
How would you plug the crossover port on the earlier model Screaming Eagle pipes to prevent a major exhaust leak, short of welding it shut? Also with no crossover port, I'm sure there would be a loss of low end torque.
This commercial airline mechanic would like to know how you propose to fix these two problem?

use the mount "crossover" from an older bike and break out the torch. stop being a doubting debbie....

i have no newer bike to play with to test my thoughts, which could be wrong... until welded. but "can't" isn't in my vocabulary. the world isn't flat.

i don't know if its possible to just replace the entire new set up with an old set up (most are floating around on ebay)...

i paid 60 or so for a set up just like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-HARLEY-...6346d5&vxp=mtr

Even in the main pic, just behind the foot-peg and bottom side of the body, the crossover port is visible.
i was wondering what that was. if someone fitted drags or LAF pipes.. it would not even use the crossover rubbish. so why not fit the older system for less than the cost of a set of new slip-ons?

i've been seeing people say they have no exhaust options and i don't understand.

Last edited by cvaria; 03-21-2015 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:36 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria

use the mount "crossover" from an older bike and break out the torch. stop being a doubting debbie....

i have no newer bike to play with to test my thoughts, which could be wrong... until welded. but "can't" isn't in my vocabulary. the world isn't flat. i don't know if ists possible to just replace the entire new set up with an old set up (most are floating around on ebay)

i paid 60 or so for a set up just like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-HARLEY-...6346d5&vxp=mtr

Everybody just happens to have a torch and older crossovers laying around
As far as using drag pipes or LAFs, that's doing a complete exhaust swap out, and not just installing a $50 used slip on set.
Anything can be accomplished with the right amount of money and time.
I'm sure you've heard of Mr Turbo http://www.mrturbo.com/
The head fabricator is a co-worker(airline welder by day/ pipe fabricator at night) and I'm sure he would laugh at your idea.

Last edited by Guzzi; 03-21-2015 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:30 PM
Blackhawk66
3rd Gear

going back to the link which compared the slip ons- there was no mention of whether they acheived the 10hp gains with just the slip ons or whether they also added a better air filter and remapp.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:15 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Something like these would be a fairly economical way to go.
Amazon.com: Cycle Shack 3in. Slip-On - Slash Out - Chrome, Color: Chrome MXL-314: Automotive Amazon.com: Cycle Shack 3in. Slip-On - Slash Out - Chrome, Color: Chrome MXL-314: Automotive
$240 for new mufflers is pretty hard to beat.
If you don't mind a smaller diameter .
https://www.denniskirk.com/cycle-sha...rd/4407281.sku
$176.00 a pair not bad either.
What I would do (you asked) is check with all the vendors you might like , make a note of all part numbers that fit "your" bike.
Then look for used mufflers this way , I bought a $700.00 per pair of S&S stainless mufflers for my last bike for $125.00 in the forum classifieds.
I then picked up a set of Screamin Eagle 2 mufflers for my '48 recently for $100.00 through my local Craigslist.
Look on youtube and see what might interest you and listen to them all , that's what I did on 3 bikes so far.
Don't let the used mufflers scare you , lots of guys will run a few sets to see what they really want and sell the others off.
A decent set of slip ons will produce about 90% of the power the best system would produce for much less cash.
Just make sure you concentrate on 2014 because there were fitting changes from 2013 and older.
Mick

Old 03-21-2015, 08:22 PM
Blackhawk66
3rd Gear

The cycle shack price is hard to overlook! Those slip ons would be a great starting point leaving allowing me to get a really good air filter and remap.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:56 PM
3bc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can tell from firsthand experience the bassanis are a 10hp boost on their own, and they come in black. You won't be disappointed.

Don't mean to oversimplify it but most air filters are going to have very similar results on a performance and its all about paying for looks. I hate the look of the SE air intakes, which is fine because they were among the most expensive. I got an Arlen ness big sucker with a black billet cover and a slick looking stainless air filter for about 150.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:10 PM
Blackhawk66
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by 3bc
I can tell from firsthand experience the bassanis are a 10hp boost on their own, and they come in black. You won't be disappointed.

Don't mean to oversimplify it but most air filters are going to have very similar results on a performance and its all about paying for looks. I hate the look of the SE air intakes, which is fine because they were among the most expensive. I got an Arlen ness big sucker with a black billet cover and a slick looking stainless air filter for about 150.
So you would have paid for a re-map as well? Great news on the Bassani's, i would only need to get those black covers for the headers then. Edit: i only see full bassani's in black (sweeper model), are there black slip on bassanis? Edit 2: found 'em, I may be slow, but I get there in the end.

Last edited by Blackhawk66; 03-21-2015 at 10:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Best Buy Slip On exhaust for 883 Iron