Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help diagnose my sporty!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 07:35 PM
HighestHD883
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad I saw this thread..

same bike - 01 hugger - just went to get it where it is stored (5 months)and WILL NOT START!

First time since owning it that it wont fire up first try... here is what is happening:

-trickle charger on battery (says it is over 80% and on maintenance)
-ALL lights work (headlight and hi-beam, signals and brake and horn works)
-sounds EXACTLY like the bike in the OP, but refuses to turn over even thought it sounds like it wants to real bad
-pulled A/C off and made 100% sure there is fuel getting to the carb and there is...
-tried to boost it off a Quad and then my truck.. still won't turn over so that really confused me
- both ends of both leads are clean as a whistle as I always keep a dab of grease on there.. only thing I didn't do was pull the plugs and I didn't have my meter with me either.

any tips, fellas?

Old 03-23-2015, 04:21 AM
old schooler
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

HighestHD883,do you here the starter drive engaging when you try to start the bike,if you do take both spark plugs out and try to see if it will roll over,if it still won't roll over put the bike in gear with the clutch out and push the bike ahead and see if the engine will roll over or it just drags the rear wheel.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:03 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

first I would try spraying some gas into the carb throat (or starter fluid) and see if it fires at all..then get back to us..

Old 03-23-2015, 06:19 AM
old schooler
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

mrfisker,i think their are two different questions one bike rolls over and won't start,and the other one won't roll over.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:30 PM
72 Ironhead XLH
Road Captain
Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

having a carb means you should have to twist the throttle once or twice and maybe pull some choke.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:33 PM
72 Ironhead XLH
Road Captain
Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

but refuses to turn over even thought it sounds like it wants to real bad
High, screaming or squealing sounds. sounds like it wants to do what real bad?

Old 03-24-2015, 06:23 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

1. Originally Posted by old schooler
    mrfisker,i think their are two different questions one bike rolls over and won't start,and the other one won't roll over.
I was responding to the original poster...the second guy with a problem should start his own thread, which is why I (politely) ignored him..

Old 03-24-2015, 06:52 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm also thinking the OP, Krilla_Kurt, needs to pull the choke out and give the throttle about three or four twists before hitting the start button.

As for the second guy, HighestHD883, I think he needs to learn the difference between the bike turning over & it just not firing. If the bike sounds like the bike in OP's video, the engine is turning over but just not firing. Oh, and if your battery is at only 80%, it probably should not even be turning the engine over. If it's acting like the OP's bike in video, pull the choke out and try firing it off. If it still doesn't start, pull the plugs/hook the plugs back up into the spark plug boot/lean the spark plugs against the engine to ground them/try firing the bike off while checking the plugs for spark.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:57 PM
krilla_kurt
Advanced

Originally Posted by WVHogRider
I'm also thinking the OP, Krilla_Kurt, needs to pull the choke out and give the throttle about three or four twists before hitting the start button.

As for the second guy, HighestHD883, I think he needs to learn the difference between the bike turning over & it just not firing. If the bike sounds like the bike in OP's video, the engine is turning over but just not firing. Oh, and if your battery is at only 80%, it probably should not even be turning the engine over. If it's acting like the OP's bike in video, pull the choke out and try firing it off. If it still doesn't start, pull the plugs/hook the plugs back up into the spark plug boot/lean the spark plugs against the engine to ground them/try firing the bike off while checking the plugs for spark.
^^trying this as soon as I get off work, thanks for the input fellas

Old 03-26-2015, 02:24 PM
mad jak
Advanced

does this sporty have a vaccum type petcock if the hose is not hooked up or has a hole in vac hose u wont get fuel from petcock to carb just sumthn simple 2 check

Quick Reply: Help diagnose my sporty!