Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First bike, used or new?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 10:36 AM
OddJack
Road Warrior
Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

First bike or not I would never buy a new car or a motorcycle or a bicycle. Waste of money.

If you have no experience buying used vehicle you need to have it inspected or take someone who can.

If you have seen a bike that you like the looks and the feel then that's the bike you should buy. I am not a fan of buy small and then grow up. BUT, I am not a teenager or in my twenties either. Harley was my first ever bike and it is a 1200cc. I know how to be cautious and drive safe. You should be learning that in the riding course too. As long as you behave maturely you should be fine. Start very slowly if you get that 1200cc custom.

BTW, I would ignore the " avoid EFI" comments. Specially for someone who's buying first bike.

Last edited by OddJack; 03-30-2015 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:53 AM
2PawsRiver
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Definately used.....unless you just have more money then you need.......as usual should of been here last week, you missed a pretty darn good deal on a good bike..........keep your eyes open.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:31 PM
LunaticFringe
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

you can buy used at the dealer and for the price of the assembly & shipping fee buy a 2 year warranty and still save a couple thousand.

like others said if this is your first bike I almost guarantee that you are somehow going to drop it at some point, everyone drops their first bike.

insurance & sales tax on a used bike will be cheaper, plus you'll likely find a used one with the exhaust work already done saving you another nice chunk of money.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:46 PM
TheMakani
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've personally never bought any thing new, i always buy from private parties.

since this is your first bike i doubt you'll want to be tuning a carbed bike so you should definitely get the an EFI.
if you can afford it why not get the newer bike?

Old 03-31-2015, 01:27 AM
starforbrian
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could have somebody tune your carb for you for about the same price or less than some fuel remapping software. It's deemed mostly necessary if you do both the exhaust AND intake, so I've read. Hell, you could buy a couple of jets for $10 and a 12 pack of decent beer and I'm sure a local HDForum member would help you out. Some people just like wrenching on bikes and socializing about their hobbies. I'm not saying avoid EFI bikes - EFI is the future - I personally just don't like a bunch of extra wiring and computers to potentially go wrong. I am not against computers, either, I build my own desktop gaming machines! Look at all the vintage technology that still works - it's mechanical - all the electronics died off. I'm sure the electronics on the bikes will last more than long enough for most people but it is more to potentially go wrong after a while. Just something to think about!

Last edited by starforbrian; 03-31-2015 at 01:31 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:50 PM
71on72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,307 Likes on 8,535 Posts

If you buy new be prepared to sink another $1200+ to make if run and ride right (stage 1 intake, exhaust, shocks, fork springs, seat. Find a low mileage 2007+ Roadster, Nightster, Custom. or 48 that already has it. You can't go wrong. If you later decide on a Dyna you won't lose your money like a new bike

Old 03-31-2015, 03:40 PM
USAFANGWINGNUT67
Tourer

Originally Posted by 71on72
If you buy new be prepared to sink another $1200+ to make if run and ride right (stage 1 intake, exhaust, shocks, fork springs, seat. Find a low mileage 2007+ Roadster, Nightster, Custom. or 48 that already has it. You can't go wrong. If you later decide on a Dyna you won't lose your money like a new bike

All good points that one should think about.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:10 PM
TheMakani
Tourer

Originally Posted by 71on72
thats not necessarily the case for the OP. he stated the custom was very comfortable for him and he likes the looks. if he buys a bike that fits good and looks good from the start, why not leave it the way it is?

for me personally, i got my bike because it was a really good deal money wise and then began to black it out to look how i wanted. if i could have found a bike i liked the looks of (i.e. and iron) i may have left it stock

Old 03-31-2015, 04:30 PM
Cool Inferno
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I think you are looking at a good deal with the new 2014 being offered. Make sure take the riders course and just take it easy as you learn. One thing you didnt metion I believe is if you are going to finance or not. You will get a much better rate on a new ride Vs. used. Crunch the numbers with the sells rep and decide from there. As for the used bike at the dealer, keep in mind most dealers charge a dealer prep charge on used bikes also. Normally the charge is the same amount, used or new.

My son picked up a 2014 custom about a year ago and I really liked how it handled.

Last edited by Cool Inferno; 03-31-2015 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:40 PM
Kcdcltd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Consider a used. Until you put some time and mileage on a motorcycle you will not truly know what you enjoy most. Cruising, touring, etc. After you have a taste of what you really enjoy, it will be easier to sell with less depreciation. IMHO

Quick Reply: First bike, used or new?