Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P505 diagnostic code

Old 03-31-2015, 06:13 PM
dj skuzzy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P505 diagnostic code

hi guys,
I have posted about this problem before but never checked the code before.

the bike is idling high after I ride it for like 30 minutes. it will idle high until I come to a complete stop an sometimes the engine light comes on. tried cleaning the IAC, any other suggestions?
thank you

Old 03-31-2015, 06:18 PM
simonizr
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

P0505 - Loss of idle speed control

Loss of idle speed control will result if the idle RPM is +-200 from preset idle speed and IAC motor is at zero or maximum for greater than 5 seconds.

- Loss of idle speed control is not an indicator that the IAC is bad. Other causes are intake leaks, misfiring cylinder.

- Leaking injectors could cause poor idle. To check for leaky injectors remove A/C, turn throttle wide open, turn key to ON for 2 seconds and then off for 2 seconds five consecutive times. Replace injectors if there is any evidence of raw fuel in the bores.

- Vacuum leaks

- Contaminated fuel

- Excessive Oil in crankcase

- TP sensor reading greater than 1 % (cable misadjusted), battery less then 9 Volts, or vehicle speed sensor (VSS) greater than 0 will disable idle speed control.

- Loss of battery power to terminal 31 of ECM.

This should give you a lot of things to look for. Also if the ECM loses power, the ECM will assume that the vehicle is stopped and adjust the idle air control to bring the idle up and set a code too.

It could be as simple as an air leak around the intake. Try using the WD40 trick to see if you are leaking air first....the most basic test, and work your way from there, to checking all the harness connections. Check all the other things on the list it may be if those dont come up with something. MAKE SURE YOUR BATTERY IS GOOD...less tha 9vdc will disable the idle speed control

Old 03-31-2015, 06:30 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

Do you have a aftermarket fuel controller(tuner)?

Old 03-31-2015, 07:05 PM
dj skuzzy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Guzzi
Do you have a aftermarket fuel controller(tuner)?
nope. the only thing not stock is the screaming eagle air filter (yes it is clean)
oh and V&H Tips

Old 03-31-2015, 07:08 PM
dj skuzzy
Advanced

Thank you Simon, that's a lot of stuff it could be though,

Old 04-01-2015, 11:06 PM
dj skuzzy
Advanced

pulling a b1154 code today, clutch input short to ground. my clutch is pretty messed up right now but what exactly does this one mean?

Old 04-04-2015, 01:22 AM
dj skuzzy
Advanced

update, sprayed carb cleaner where the intake connects to each side of head. It was sucking in the carb cleaner an blowing out white smoke. went to the dealer an got 2 intake manifold gaskets, could this be my problem?
the dealership seems to think so

Old 04-04-2015, 11:14 AM
hpotter
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I ran into exact same issue before when just I bought my 2008 bike.
It is used bike so no dealer support. It is my first harley bike so I know nothing about "diagnostic code". Problem gone itself after I install pigtail.

Based on OP' posts, I am confused it is carb or efi bike.

If this is 2007 to 2009 bike, before spending any money, I would suggest
1) clean up all fuse connectors
2) refasten all ground cables. IF the ground cables are fastened to engine case with STAR washer, remove the star washer.

Last edited by hpotter; 04-04-2015 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:40 AM
dj skuzzy
Advanced

Originally Posted by hpotter
I ran into exact same issue before when just I bought my 2008 bike.
It is used bike so no dealer support. It is my first harley bike so I know nothing about "diagnostic code". Problem gone itself after I install pigtail.

Based on OP' posts, I am confused it is carb or efi bike.

If this is 2007 to 2009 bike, before spending any money, I would suggest
1) clean up all fuse connectors
2) refasten all ground cables. IF the ground cables are fastened to engine case with STAR washer, remove the star washer.
thank you, it is 2007 fuel injected. I will try all of those if it comes back. after replacing my intake manifold gaskets she is already running smoother. I'll run its hard today and see if its still occurring. thanks for the feedback

Old 04-05-2015, 12:27 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by dj skuzzy
thank you, it is 2007 fuel injected. I will try all of those if it comes back. after replacing my intake manifold gaskets she is already running smoother. I'll run its hard today and see if its still occurring. thanks for the feedback
The 2007 Sporty, first year for fuel injection, is notorious for having corrosion issues in the fuse block/relay area caused by water intrusion. The problem will obviously be worse if the bike gets rained on frequently or sits outside vs in a garage. Corroded contacts can create all kinds of weird or intermittent problems.

To avoid problems, it's a good idea to remove all fuses and relays, clean the contacts, then coat the contacts with dielectric grease and reinstall. I would redo this every year.

You can get dielectric grease at any auto parts store.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P505 diagnostic code