Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dealer cost? very interesting.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 11:16 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Hehe, yes Scotty I support trying to get the best deal possible and I was trying to give you a few extra bits of info to help you do that. I don't feel sorry for the dealer, but I do respect their need to keep their lights on especially if they are a good dealer and offer valuable quality service. I'm all for the best deal, but I don't look at the money above dealer cost as automatically money they are just gouging me for. I'm happy to pay less of it like the next guy, but I'm assuming my dealer is smart enough to avoid going broke in the process. A good dealer has comfortable margins and takes care of their staff, customers, and stock, but they likely aren't rolling around in gold coins and emeralds in the back room when we leave.

Now, there are plenty of bad dealers out there and that is a completely different topic, but its also why I value the few good ones I know so much. I don't make donations to them and I still negotiate the best deal I can, but I feel good that my business is a "win-win" rather than an "I win - they lose" type of deal.

That said, dealer cost is always interesting info. I appreciate the link and I hope you get an awesome deal on your next ride.

Last edited by Thingfish; 04-01-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:20 AM
OddJack
Road Warrior
Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by scottylonebull
I was there last week. they didn't seem to ready to bargain, even with the used custom slim they had on the floor.
the info helps a little because now I have some confidence in asking for a better price when the guy gives me a price of 16,300. I paid full msrp for my 48 last year and didn't argue. if I can save 1-2000 on my next bike, good for me.
I am glad you thought of coming here and ask for opinions or advice.

Why are you looking at new bikes? You can save more than 2k by buying used.
Go on CL and look around your 4hr drive radius and I bet you can find the deal you want given you are patient enough. You do sound a little inexperience in dealing on bikes so I highly recommend having it inspected before you buy.

Dont waste your time on those websites. As grbrown said focus on the otd price. Use their MSRP and cut it by $1500 to $2000 and that will be the price for a new bike. Use it as a reference on how much you should pay for a used bike.

I do not agree that walking in the showrooms is the best way for negotiating a purchase. Those days are passed. Nowadays and quite often dealers put their best price in the emails or over the phone because they know you are shopping around and want to draw you in. Many people get emotionally attached to the car or motorcycle they are buying and that's when walking away becomes difficult.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:29 PM
scottylonebull
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by OddJack
I am glad you thought of coming here and ask for opinions or advice.

Why are you looking at new bikes? You can save more than 2k by buying used.
Go on CL and look around your 4hr drive radius and I bet you can find the deal you want given you are patient enough. You do sound a little inexperience in dealing on bikes so I highly recommend having it inspected before you buy.

Dont waste your time on those websites. As grbrown said focus on the otd price. Use their MSRP and cut it by $1500 to $2000 and that will be the price for a new bike. Use it as a reference on how much you should pay for a used bike.

I do not agree that walking in the showrooms is the best way for negotiating a purchase. Those days are passed. Nowadays and quite often dealers put their best price in the emails or over the phone because they know you are shopping around and want to draw you in. Many people get emotionally attached to the car or motorcycle they are buying and that's when walking away becomes difficult.
i don't email dealers, i personally go to talk to the sales guy. i do agree with you that nowadays the sales guy will email you back with their best price, which i might start doing now. I want to buy new because like you said, i'm no gear head, i came to grips with that in 1990 when i got my first bike that i sucked and cant wrench and I accept that. its a lot smarter for me to buy new so i know whats done to the bike, less problems. in this world of custom bikes you never know what someone did to their own bike when buying used and i don't want other peoples headaches. years back i had to have a whole 1973 VW superbeetle rewired that i bought at a car show, that sucked. this is why I come here asking questions, a lot of guys here have been there done that...like this post or instance, i was all happy thinking i had a bargaining chip, and you guys knocked me off my cloud lol. that being said ive bought 6 Harleys and 12 cars new from dealers. i'm always amazed at how much car dealers come down off sticker if you do your homework and are not afraid to walk away. i'm going to hit a few dealers and send out a few emails out of state and see what happens. i know exactly what i want, what i want done to it when i pick it up and not looking to rush it, its only april.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:44 PM
scottylonebull
Road Master

Originally Posted by Thingfish
Hehe, yes Scotty I support trying to get the best deal possible and I was trying to give you a few extra bits of info to help you do that. I don't feel sorry for the dealer, but I do respect their need to keep their lights on especially if they are a good dealer and offer valuable quality service. I'm all for the best deal, but I don't look at the money above dealer cost as automatically money they are just gouging me for. I'm happy to pay less of it like the next guy, but I'm assuming my dealer is smart enough to avoid going broke in the process. A good dealer has comfortable margins and takes care of their staff, customers, and stock, but they likely aren't rolling around in gold coins and emeralds in the back room when we leave.

Now, there are plenty of bad dealers out there and that is a completely different topic, but its also why I value the few good ones I know so much. I don't make donations to them and I still negotiate the best deal I can, but I feel good that my business is a "win-win" rather than an "I win - they lose" type of deal.

That said, dealer cost is always interesting info. I appreciate the link and I hope you get an awesome deal on your next ride.
your lucky, you have a dealer you trust. i don't trust any of them that ive been to, and ive bought bikes from 5. when i'm sitting in the room and the guys trying to sell me a discounted 5 year $20 off every maintenance visit for $1000,that i can finance if i want, thats only good for 4 services and then tells me they'll even pick the bike up if i want without telling me that it's an additional $120. or they want to guarantee my leather seat for 2yrs for $500, or they give me a written bill with the labor charge done by computer to do something on my bike, then tell me after their done that it took them an hour extra because he couldn't figure it out, and he has to charge me another $112, that's when i become jaded and lose trust in salesmen. lol that's why i have to get the bike as cheap as i can, i feel i'm always getting screwed somewhere.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:42 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Totally get it and sympathize. Last bike I went to buy, my sales guy wouldn't even sell to me until after I thought about it for a few weeks because he was positive I was going to have a change of heart. Even though he's sold me bikes for many many years he couldn't believe I really wanted to add a Sportster to my household (I'm a bit older). He wasn't trying to up-sell me, or any kind of game. I was there cash in hand, but he was legitimately concerned I'd be making a mistake. I decided to take his advice and waited (just one week)..... It all worked out and I've been grinning on my 72 for two years now. He gave me a great deal when the time came too, but that's just a small example of how they put the customer first.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:44 AM
scottylonebull
Road Master

Originally Posted by Thingfish
Totally get it and sympathize. Last bike I went to buy, my sales guy wouldn't even sell to me until after I thought about it for a few weeks because he was positive I was going to have a change of heart. Even though he's sold me bikes for many many years he couldn't believe I really wanted to add a Sportster to my household (I'm a bit older). He wasn't trying to up-sell me, or any kind of game. I was there cash in hand, but he was legitimately concerned I'd be making a mistake. I decided to take his advice and waited (just one week)..... It all worked out and I've been grinning on my 72 for two years now. He gave me a great deal when the time came too, but that's just a small example of how they put the customer first.
maybe i'll take a week off and fly out to you and buy the bike from your guy lol