Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at buying a 72

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 04:16 PM
ripto
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Came across another bike that really caught my interest:

2010 Harley 48 XL1200X. 3000 miles 17' ape hangers springer seat vance and hines big radius pipes fuel pak flush gas cap passenger pegs k&n air cleaner kit w/ custom plate solo licks saddle bag black engine accessories 2" tank lift coil and ignition relocated w/ screaming eagle plugs synthetic oil. Have all factory take off parts as well. asking 10k" I've contacted the seller... he is the original owner, the bike has always been garaged and has not seen rain, and he is selling because he has two kids and does not have the time to ride.

The only other person I've been able to get a response from is the blue 72. This guy says he is pretty firm with the price. I think I do like this one much better than the blue 72. I am most likely going to see it in the next week or so. If things turn out good, I may offer 9k and go from there. What do you guys think? Does it being 5 years old compared to 3 make any real difference? Mileage is about the same.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:05 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by ripto
Came across another bike that really caught my interest:

2010 Harley 48 XL1200X. 3000 miles 17' ape hangers springer seat vance and hines big radius pipes fuel pak flush gas cap passenger pegs k&n air cleaner kit w/ custom plate solo licks saddle bag black engine accessories 2" tank lift coil and ignition relocated w/ screaming eagle plugs synthetic oil. Have all factory take off parts as well. asking 10k" I've contacted the seller... he is the original owner, the bike has always been garaged and has not seen rain, and he is selling because he has two kids and does not have the time to ride.

The only other person I've been able to get a response from is the blue 72. This guy says he is pretty firm with the price. I think I do like this one much better than the blue 72. I am most likely going to see it in the next week or so. If things turn out good, I may offer 9k and go from there. What do you guys think? Does it being 5 years old compared to 3 make any real difference? Mileage is about the same.
Too much fricking money for the 2010. But hey it's your money and you seem to like the higher priced ones better regardless of year.
Remember paint is cheap and always pay less then NADA/ Kelly Blue Book on whatever you buy.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:00 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Unfortunately i'd never own a bike with spoke/tube tire wheels ever. 48/72 are sweet looking bikes though.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:27 PM
LunaticFringe
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I love these people who buy a bike & then say they have no time to ride.. it's hilarious because they seem to have plenty of time to drive to work.

my favorite is still the blue 72,, big money into that bike!! Worth every penny of 8500. probably over $3,000 in just in chrome on it..

this 48, the apes are too tall and it's basically a stock bike for more money.. the 2 years difference is nothing because it's still the exact same bike.

Last edited by LunaticFringe; 04-15-2015 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:30 PM
ripto
Road Master

Originally Posted by LunaticFringe
I love these people who buy a bike & then say they have no time to ride.. it's hilarious because they seem to have plenty of time to drive to work.
I hear ya. My 883 was basically my DD for about 2 years.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:45 PM
partlowr
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope you are tall or have really long arms, 17 inch apes are way too tall, especially on a Sporty. In my opinion anything taller than 14 does not look right on a Sporty but I guess everyones taste is different.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:19 AM
ripto
Road Master

Thanks for the input. I was curious about the apes as I've never used any besides a demo run on the 72 a few years back. I am 6' 1" with disproportionately long arms though, so these may be just right

I am planning to see the blue 72 this weekend.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:36 AM
mike hawk
Cruiser

Looking is free! That's the best part...

Old 04-22-2015, 09:11 AM
ripto
Road Master

Partlowr - I came across your thread with your bike mods and pics... sweet looking ride. I found it when I was looking for progressive shock info. The stock 72 definitely sits up higher than I'd like. Yours seems pretty good, but its hard to tell from just a picture.

Communication is still spotty with the Blue 72, I was supposed to see it this weekend but the guy was on travel apparently.

I got responses from two basically new Denim 72's that's should be available this weekend. One is one I listed, with 24 miles, and the other has 715 miles. Stock bikes. Asking around $10k I think. I would start lower since I would ideally like to change the air filter, intake, shocks (springs? need to look into what would actually need to be done to lower the bike), and a tune, so I'd expect that to run around $1500 with labor from a shop. Almost wish there were some hard candy options out there. I thought I liked the denim but the flakes look better the more I look at them. Any idea how much it would be to have the tins repainted?

Old 04-22-2015, 09:25 AM
franktko
Cruiser
Received 42 Likes on 17 Posts

Just an observation: when a guy says "I got injured and will not ride ever again.", there is a good chance that bike was crashed...

Quick Reply: Looking at buying a 72