Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at buying a 72

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 11:13 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

My personal radar, which is flawed of course, tells me the blue 72 is the best deal/owner. The two black denim '13s just give me the heebie jeebies. 24 miles is just too strange for me to contemplate. Could be some eccentric family thing, but it gives me bad vibes. The other one couldn't bother to look at their mileage for their own add...also agree that a life altering injury sends a bad message (sorry to hear it of course). The blue bike has been ridden and enjoyed which I usually take as a good sign of healthy (sane) ownership. Paint and bars can always be changed. Price is good too.

The 48 is ok, but over priced. The 48 market is generally higher priced as it is a more popular model. In that case you're just spending $$ on a trend, not a better bike. They are cool, but I much prefer the ride of my 72. More nimble and fun in my opinion.

Adds can fool us, so I may be way off here, but that's my take on what you're showing us. Let us know what you think in person.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:28 AM
Skitzer
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would get an older low mileage clean Evo and put nice bars, pipes, shocks and seat on it and call it good.
If you must have a newer ride, I like the Nightster.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:35 PM
ripto
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the input. My eye is on the Blue 72. Pretty low mileage with decent upgrades for pretty cheap. I have a feeling I would change the bars, grips, and shocks, but that would probably be it. If I could negotiate him down a bit, I think I could have a good setup for right around 9 grand.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:16 PM
ripto
Road Master

Speaking of Nightsters... came across this one. I've always liked the Nightster look... $7500, 5500 miles...

"I have a 2009 nightster with about 5500 miles on it. It will go up because I am still riding it. It is in good condition. Runs great I've never had a problem and I get compliments everywhere I go. I just replaced the battery and changed the oil. I also just put forward arm controls,Handle bars, blacked out the front blinkers and tail lights, the exhaust is after market also." He is unsure of exhaust brand. Bars are 10" Z bars. Looks good. Not sure if I like chrome pipes on a Nightster though.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:04 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Looks like just slip ons. Stock pipes are chrome anyway. Easy to wrap or add to your list of mods. Nothing wrong with a Nightster.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:05 AM
ripto
Road Master

I am told both of these 72's are stock. The owner of the top pictured bike says he did not touch the bars.... why/how are they rotated backwards like that?? Is this something that can be done? Could you just rotate bars forward or backward, or is something wrong with them?

Old 04-25-2015, 08:08 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Yes, just loosen the 4 bolts on the top clamp and rotate them any way you want. Might have to adjust the angle of the hand controls for comfort depending how far you go, but that's just as easy.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:34 PM
ripto
Road Master

Good to know, thanks for that. If they aren't torqued down good enough, is there a chance the bars can actually fall down while riding? I would have thought there would be something to prevent them from rotating besides just being torqued.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:09 PM
LunaticFringe
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ripto
Good to know, thanks for that. If they aren't torqued down good enough, is there a chance the bars can actually fall down while riding? I would have thought there would be something to prevent them from rotating besides just being torqued.

nah, they are perfectly safe when torqued correctly and will not come loose, yes it is possible for them to come loose if not torqued right.

that blue 72 is awesome, over $3k in chrome on that bike, I'd jump on it..

bars are real cheap & easy to replace. it's like an hour of labor at a shop.

Last edited by LunaticFringe; 04-25-2015 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:13 PM
ripto
Road Master

Unfortunately I have not heard from the Blue 72 guy in over a week.

Quick Reply: Looking at buying a 72