Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing to a 7" headlight questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 05:53 AM
Proteus
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RANGER73
It's an easy install.
Yes, it is, mine comes from a Fatboy with a home made bracket

Old 04-23-2015, 11:31 AM
tloc1000
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mick
Fairly easy install , you don't need to cut any wires.
I used the one CPRacing posted the link to.
Here's a close view of the mount.

You can use the stock base mount , you should get a pair of 3/8" flat washers for shims if you do it this way , the stock mount is narrower side to side.
I opted for the Drag Specialties mount base which didn't come with the bottom bolt , the stock bottom bolt won't work with it.
For the DS mount you would need a 3/8" fine thread bolt about 1 1/4" long.
If you look closely at the first pic , I had to back cut the DS mount to clear the fork stop.
I also drilled the mount to get the bucket back a bit and as high as I could , I have just enough clearance to finger the ODO reset button.
If you're careful , you can disassemble the stock plug , weasel the grommet out of the stock housing , and fit it all back in the DS housing pretty easy , no cutting wires.
A worthwhile mod , looks good , great lighting improvement.
I finished mine with a Cibie 7" Euro spec headlamp from danielsternlighting.com
Mick

Why did you go with the DS mount?

Does it pull the light closer to the front end?

Old 04-23-2015, 04:16 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The DS mount is taller and straight.
The stock mount is lower and reaches forward.
I tried it with the stock mount till I got a new bolt for the DS , but it sets forward enough that I thought it looked a little "off".
Personal preference I guess.
I back cut the DS mount to clear the steering stop and ran it for a couple days , but I thought it could go back a bit more and higher.
So I drilled another 3/8" hole diagonal up and back from the standard (horizontal) hole.
This tucked it in and raised it up a bit more and I got the "look" I wanted.
I stopped by my dealer and showed it to one of the sales guys , he says "what about it" and I said does it look stock?
He said yes and then realized it was bigger than a sportster light , He thought it looked stock , and that's what I was trying to with it.
I painted the mount black with some black paint when done so it would kinda blend in and not be noticeable .
Pretty simple and fun project.
Thanks for your interest.
Mick

Old 04-23-2015, 04:20 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,922 Likes on 3,022 Posts

I do have to add that the reason I had upgraded to the 7" bucket was for the truck Light TL7. I had used a Drag Specialties bucket and the weight of the light snapped the ears off the back of the bucket, right where it bends to the mount on the trees.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:54 PM
Layzie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 7'' on my 48, I used the factory mount but turned it around to pull the headlight closer to the forks.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:39 AM
tloc1000
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Great advice! What's the difference between these two lights besides about $20 and chrome vs black? Is it the bulb that is better on one?

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/505-109

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/3100420

Old 04-25-2015, 09:52 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,922 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Originally Posted by tloc1000
Great advice! What's the difference between these two lights besides about $20 and chrome vs black? Is it the bulb that is better on one?

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/505-109

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/3100420
The cheaper one is for classic bikes. You can't use it.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:54 PM
HOG JET
Supporter
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 7" headlight on a 2009 XL1200c

I put the 7" headlight on because I upgraded to a Wide Glide front end and the
standard light look too small between the wide forks. The FatBoy one I purchased off ebay for $99 complete had the wires cut. I just took off the tank removed the headlight plug, removed the wires out of the connector and wired the 7" headlight with the headlight harness off the sporty.

I have aftermarket (Vulcan) trees & the Fatboy light bracket fit.

I also added dual front brakes and a 17 x 3" front wheel - The reason for the Wide Glide upgrade.

FYI - the fender is in the shop being painted
Rj.

Attached Thumbnails Changing to a 7" headlight questions-wg_1200c.jpg  

Last edited by HOG JET; 04-26-2015 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:48 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Johhny51273
Thanks to help from a fellow forum member...You don't have to cut any wires. I de pinned the stock connector removed the wire and reconnected to the new bucket using the stock connector as well. I shaved down the stock mount to fit the narrower bracket on the new bucket. This bucket fits a 7" headlamp it's not a 7" headlight. It's actually about 11" in diameter.
How do you de pin the stock connector? I am trying to remove mine. Used one flathead screwdriver to release the outer tab, another flathead to insert into the rectangle slot under the flat portion of the pin and the plastic casing to release the primary tang, then used a long-nose to try to pull the pin out...would not budge. Must be missing something or am I not doing it correctly. Don't want to cut wires if it is not necessary.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Old 04-28-2015, 02:52 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Lawless
About the only rewiring needed to to disassemble the Deutch connector so you can get the wiring bundle out of the existing headlight and into the new one. There are you tube videos on how to do that.

I bought my 7" headlight from Dime City Cycles and it is a side mount. It came with a H4 60/55 watt bulb. It it very bright. It gives the bike a "Brit Bike" look.

I bought the headlight ears that clamp onto the fork legs. Not only does this provide a very stable mount, the headlight can also be raised and lowered.

But if you also wanna keep the eyebrow, you're gonna have to look at different options. Mick's set-up is pretty slick too

Could you share (PM me or share on this post) those youtube videos on how to remove the pins from the stock connector? I searched but could not find any with the same type connector. Thanks

Quick Reply: Changing to a 7" headlight questions