Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Introduction and a short '14 Sportster evolution

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 02:17 PM
jlon
Stage III
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Introduction and a short '14 Sportster evolution

TL;DR - Hello and thanks .

Hey everyone, I've been lurking around this forum since my XL883N purchase last year for how-to's and inspiration. Figured it was time to introduce myself and give thanks for all time and headaches the members here have saved me and to hopefully help others out when/where I can.

It starts bone-stock with a quick photo stop at the museum on the way home from the dealer:

I kept the budget tight for the first year to make sure this was the bike for me. Or was it to slowly introduce my better half to the idea of replacing perfectly good parts on a brand new motorcycle?

I added a few of the more common and easy mods. I also set the bike up for 2-up riding for above mentioned better half.

Mods last year:
  • Buckshot heat shields
  • "Scotchbrite" mufflers (actually wet-sanded with 1200g sandpaper and WD-40) - sealed with high temp matte clear
  • HD Headlamp visor
  • HD Drag handlebar
  • Danny Gray Short Hop seat
  • 2-up setup - HD Short Rail Upright Sissy Bar, Short Rail backrest pad, passenger footpeg mounts and pegs, rail bolts (soon to be removed)
  • Wrinkle-black clutch and inspection covers
  • Smoke lens covers (front)

Then this spring I started on cleaning up the engine with some DK Customs and a sort of wire tuck, raised the backend with Burley 13" Stiletto shocks and painted some of the shiny black parts to be not so shiny.

And then spent a significant portion of my bike budget this year on an FP3, RSD clip ons and RSD 2 into 1 slant exhaust.

Spring updates:
  • Burley Stiletto 13" rear shocks
  • DK Customs Hi-Flow 587 intake
  • DK Customs coil relo & F-6 ignition relo
  • Screamin' Eagle race wires
  • Wire tuck without lift (still more cleaning up to do)
  • V&H FP3
  • RSD Slant 2 into 1
  • RSD Clip ons
  • Speedo relo
  • Lowered headlight and visor (DIY)
  • Chopped pulley cover

The less expensive remaining to-do list (if I work up the nerve):
  • Chop front fender (sport/cafe style)
  • Chop rear fender (chris_b_owens style)
  • Chop rails

Thanks again to everyone who has taken the time to provide info, give advise and for documenting their mods.

-Josh

Old 04-25-2015, 05:01 PM
Raulgutz
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice build. Really a great looking bike.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:12 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Welcome! Nice bike too!

Old 04-25-2015, 06:10 PM
Ployd4
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a function over form guy. I don't see a need to replace new parts with new parts unless it serves a function. Your bike looks great. Looks like a great rider. That first picture is killer. My wife goes to Wisconsin every couple years for training. Trying to arrange it so I can go with her next time. It's hard with two kids, a dog and both of us have full time jobs. How do you like the FP3? I think I will go that route once my exhaust is done.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:20 PM
Tynomite
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice! Do you have upper fork covers? What are you using to black out them out?

Old 04-26-2015, 09:17 AM
jlon
Stage III
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

SLV, I've been eye'ing your bike and gotta say that tail section looks great. RYCA or RSD? The cost initially turned me off because I already bought a seat, but now that I'm committing to a purely single rider setup, why not save myself the time and effort of chopping my fender. Hmmm.

Originally Posted by Ployd4
I'm a function over form guy. I don't see a need to replace new parts with new parts unless it serves a function. Your bike looks great. Looks like a great rider. That first picture is killer. My wife goes to Wisconsin every couple years for training. Trying to arrange it so I can go with her next time. It's hard with two kids, a dog and both of us have full time jobs. How do you like the FP3? I think I will go that route once my exhaust is done.
I hear ya with function over fashion. There are a couple things purely cosmetic on the bike (white letter tires -- won't do that again -- real PITA) but most of them are to increase performance or drop weight. All within reason though as it's not a race bike but rather my commuter.

If you do get a chance to get to Milwaukee during the spring or summer, the city really comes to life once the weather warms up. I wouldn't call it a vacation destination but there's a bunch to do. All the dealers rent bikes and there are a number of nice rides just outside the city through some of the Kettle Moraine areas.

I haven't played with the FP3 a ton yet but so far really digging it. I couldn't say if it's the FP3 or RSD slant, but the bike feels a lot smoother and more responsive. I ran just the intake for a few weeks and was running pretty lean. The smell of gas was getting to me and has dissipated quite a bit since the FP3. I'm still getting some popping on deceleration and it died at idle once but have it running autotune so guessing it'll work itself out. Would definitely recommend it.

Originally Posted by Tynomite
Very nice! Do you have upper fork covers? What are you using to black out them out?
I'm using
black vinyl black vinyl
to black out the forks. Get the forks real clean, wipe down with alcohol and carefully apply. I initially did it last summer and definitely worked better in the warm sun. I had to remove it and re-apply in my shed when it was 36 degrees out and have bubbles that you can't just poke a pin in and smooth it out.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:27 AM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 557 Likes on 308 Posts

You should be leading Harley's design team.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:17 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by jlon
SLV, I've been eye'ing your bike and gotta say that tail section looks great. RYCA or RSD? The cost initially turned me off because I already bought a seat, but now that I'm committing to a purely single rider setup, why not save myself the time and effort of chopping my fender. Hmmm.
Thanks. The Cafe ride is so different from a stock Sportster. It's hard to believe it's the same bike. I have a 1250 kit in transit.

It's the Burly Brand seat/tail. RYCA sells this as part of their package, but you can get it cheaper elsewhere.

You will remove the fender, but the struts have to be cut. It's easy with a 4.5" angle grinder.