Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Sportster delivered this afternoon

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 04:43 PM
traffic jam
Road Warrior
Received 691 Likes on 303 Posts

Sounds like you're doing great so far. There's definitely "technique" in doing slow turns - and fast turns - you'll learn that in the class. But for now, just don't use your front brake on a slow turn - you'll be on the ground before you know it (don't ask me how I know this ).

Also, on slow turns, you should slow down. Even cars take them slowly. So yes, take them slowly. You will learn a lot in the class. You'll be way ahead of other people, especially in clutch/throttle/brake coordination.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:20 AM
Sid1200
Road Master
Received 329 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by tlaw

Beautiful day today and I'm not out riding. This is tougher than I thought.
I hear that. The waiting is the hardest part. (hey that would make a cool song)
At least you are getting the feel of the bike that has to ease the pain a little.

As a newbie myself I felt I was cornering a little slow as well but when I was in my car and took the time to see how fast I was cornering it was a lot slower then I thought. I think the perception is way different from the car to the bike, 80km on the bike feels A LOT faster then 80km in the car.

One thing I have learned in the last few weeks is you can lean over more then you think in the corners. I was staying pretty up right but now I am leaning over and it really makes a difference. Feels a lot better as well.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:42 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Nice bike! Congrats and hope you get your license soon.

Old 05-28-2015, 02:50 PM
golferguy
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That is a beautiful color on a great bike! Enjoy it. I really enjoyed my 1200C

Old 05-28-2015, 03:24 PM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tlaw
I'm loving the bike. I still stand in awe of it when I see it parked in my garage. I know there's bigger and better out here on this forum but this one is mine.

The first couple of days I just played in my parking lot but a friend took me out on Friday night and it was a ride where I was actually able to get out of second gear. There's a four mile loop right near me that gets quiet in the evenings so it's a good place to practice while I'm waiting to take my safety course and get my license. On quiet nights I head out and do a few laps myself. I also started driving around my neighborhood and have been practicing starting out and turning from stop signs. I'm not real smooth yet but having fun and really wanting for June to come so I can get my license and just go out for nice long drives in evening or on my day off (tomorrow is my day off and I'll be staring at it in the garage).

In the mean time, I need a lot of practice making turns. I have to slow up a lot to negotiate them properly. I'm doing pretty well with my figure eights though!

Oh yeah, I want a new seat. I know that already.
Please, please... wait for the safety course... you will be using their bike (not your baby) and learning techniques that will make you a better rider. I know the waiting sucks but it will be better that way...

Congratulations on that beautiful bike. And start getting used to using the word 'riding' when referring to using the bike

Old 06-05-2015, 07:27 AM
tlaw
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

In one more week I'll be in Day 2 of the safety course. I know the time will fly by but today it seems so far off.

My DVD came in and I've been getting a lot of good information from that. I feel like it's giving me a little more of a knowledge base to understand better what they're talking about in the safety course.

There's a lot of pollen out there these days and even garaged, the bike needs a good wipe down almost every day. Does this stuff ever get old?