Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Vision Mounts- anyone find a good source.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 02:34 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Outtakes
I have a Dakota Digital Speedometer on mine,so it wasn't that big of a deal. Still it would be nice for it to work. One thing I learned about Auto Tune is it retards your timing 4% and puts the whole map at 14.6 which is very lean. My bike ran terrible while auto timming and ran very hot. It also had alot of Decel pop. So be careful not to run it to hard.Once I flashed the new tune it ran great again.
Is that a common ocurence when you auto tune i.e. bike runs terrible? Dynojet recommends 2-3 sessions of 20 mins to 10 hrs. preferrably in short sessions.

Like to hear from others who have run auto tune if your bikes ran like crap during auto tune.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:29 AM
seabee_biker
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default auto tune

When you turn on the auto tune mode and choose the tune you want to use it will ask you if you want to reset the learned settings in the ecm (I can't remember the exact wording on the message). The instructions recommend that you choose "yes" for this. Every time I do this the bike runs a little different but I would never describe it as running poorly. then after the auto tune session is over and I load the new tune, it always runs a little better. Be patient with auto tune and learn all you can about what the PV can actually do and you will end up with a great running bike. Even with OEM O2 sensors.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:36 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by seabee_biker
When you turn on the auto tune mode and choose the tune you want to use it will ask you if you want to reset the learned settings in the ecm (I can't remember the exact wording on the message). The instructions recommend that you choose "yes" for this. Every time I do this the bike runs a little different but I would never describe it as running poorly. then after the auto tune session is over and I load the new tune, it always runs a little better. Be patient with auto tune and learn all you can about what the PV can actually do and you will end up with a great running bike. Even with OEM O2 sensors.
Thanks for the info. I read the instructions and viewed the video many times.
I even asked Devin of DK tons of questions so yes learning all I can about it before I run auto tune. Devin did say "When you enable autotune and choose which saved tune to autotune off of that exact tune is not what is loaded into the ecm. The base afr is set to 14.6, the acceleration enrichment tables are disabled along with the decel enrichment; eitms; pe (which i understand is closed loop operation); and the adaptive control. It also retards the timing during autotune sessions 4 degrees across the board. It does all of this behind the scenes when you are enabling and loading the autotune file into the ecm.
Even with all this info, it does NOT tell me how the bike will run in auto tune i.e. runs hot, decel popping, etc.....just want to know what to expect. Patience is a virtue. Thanks.

Last edited by hscic; 05-23-2015 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:07 AM
Outtakes
Road Captain
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

My Bike ran bad in Atuo Tune. Ran hot.Decel popping. High rear temp reading Stops auto tuning over 410 rear head temps. Once it cools down it will start again.Happens pretty quick.Drive bike easy (Normal)

Old 05-24-2015, 02:07 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Outtakes
My Bike ran bad in Atuo Tune. Ran hot.Decel popping. High rear temp reading Stops auto tuning over 410 rear head temps. Once it cools down it will start again.Happens pretty quick.Drive bike easy (Normal)
wow 410 is rather hot...you must have been zippin around. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:59 AM
seabee_biker
Advanced

Originally Posted by hscic
Thanks for the info. I read the instructions and viewed the video many times.
I even asked Devin of DK tons of questions so yes learning all I can about it before I run auto tune. Devin did say "When you enable autotune and choose which saved tune to autotune off of that exact tune is not what is loaded into the ecm. The base afr is set to 14.6, the acceleration enrichment tables are disabled along with the decel enrichment; eitms; pe (which i understand is closed loop operation); and the adaptive control. It also retards the timing during autotune sessions 4 degrees across the board. It does all of this behind the scenes when you are enabling and loading the autotune file into the ecm.
Even with all this info, it does NOT tell me how the bike will run in auto tune i.e. runs hot, decel popping, etc.....just want to know what to expect. Patience is a virtue. Thanks.
Now that you mention that, I was using auto tune a lot on my dyna to get rid of the popping. after about a dozen sessions and some tweaking with the tune on the computer, I had it about 90% eliminated. I then sent my final tune to Jamie at Fuel Moto and he did something to it that perfected the tune and completely eliminated the decel popping. The other side effect from so many auto tunes was a great running bike. My bike never ran hotter than normal during those sessions. that was a TC103 so I'm not sure if it makes any difference. Good luck And have fun with it.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:04 PM
Outtakes
Road Captain
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

You should run your bike without Auto Tune enabled. See where your temp is normally.
My bike seems to run hot Auto Tuned Enabled or not. Takes a good 30 minutes to get hot.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:33 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

@seabee_biker - I am too trying to get rid of minor decel popping and correct the lag in power on the low side. Initial flash of the custom tune help a lot but still have minor decel popping which is why I need to run auto tune. Did you ask or find out what Jamie did for your tune? Did he adjust the AFM in the lower RPM range?

@Outtakes - thanks for the suggestion. I am waiting for my mount which should be in this week in order to install the unit. I do have the black mounts that came with tune unit but not using it because it can't position where I want to position the unit and I wanted chrome. I already have the wires routed so I am ready to go once I get it. I will run it a little with the gauges to monitor engine temp and determine if the gear indicator works (it was mentioned previously that it may not work on sportsters).
btw finding mounts was to topic of this thread but it morphed into operations of the unit and effects on your bike...which is great and good info in case someone has one or is thinking of getting the powervision.

Thank you

Last edited by hscic; 05-24-2015 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:54 PM
seabee_biker
Advanced

[QUOTE=hscic;14048865]@seabee_biker - I am too trying to get rid of minor decel popping and correct the lag in power on the low side. Initial flash of the custom tune help a lot but still have minor decel popping which is why I need to run auto tune. Did you ask or find out what Jamie did for your tune? Did he adjust the AFM in the lower RPM range?

From what I understand he adjusted the decel enleanment to get the popping to finally stop.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:17 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by wachuko
Forgot to mention... there is a nicer mount that comes with a visor... I got that one afterwards for the Road King... would look much better on the Sportster than the one I have there now.

Just wondering if the quick release mount with visor holds the device securely...I just installed mine and not sure if I need to zip tie.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Mounts- anyone find a good source.