Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

harley 48 top triple removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 02:02 PM
autobite
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default harley 48 top triple removal

I wanted to put new risers on my bike after installing a DK speedo relocation bracket (GREAT PRODUCT) but with the stock 48 top triple, I couldn't do this. So I went out and bought a replacement top triple from joker machine. Can anyone give me advice or tips on replacing the top triple? anything I should look out for?

Is this a simple remove the stem steer bolt and 2 pinch bolts remove top riser and place with new riser and torque down?

Old 05-15-2015, 04:49 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

You'll need the torque values for the three pinch bolts and for the bearing pre-load. There's a "fall away" test on the front end for the bearing pre-load, too. Consider greasing the top and lower bearings, while you have it half way apart. If you have more than 5,000 miles on the bike, changing the fork oil is a fun procedure and easy enough while you're elbow deep into it, anyway.
At the least, find the torque values and fall away procedure. Of course, all that **** is in the manual, which is not supposed to be reproduced in the forum (for legal reasons, blah ,blah, blah).

Old 05-16-2015, 05:32 PM
autobite
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HarleyScuba
You'll need the torque values for the three pinch bolts and for the bearing pre-load. There's a "fall away" test on the front end for the bearing pre-load, too. Consider greasing the top and lower bearings, while you have it half way apart. If you have more than 5,000 miles on the bike, changing the fork oil is a fun procedure and easy enough while you're elbow deep into it, anyway.
At the least, find the torque values and fall away procedure. Of course, all that **** is in the manual, which is not supposed to be reproduced in the forum (for legal reasons, blah ,blah, blah).
at 3k miles so no need for the fork oil change. Installation went smoothly. thanks for the advice!

Old 05-18-2015, 04:50 PM
brucepancake
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just in case others are looking to do this. Loner Industries has up to 2 inch risers for stock 48's

http://lonerindustries.com/

Old 05-19-2015, 01:46 AM
forty_eight
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Autobite, you should put together a write up with some photos for other 48 owners looking to do the same. I know I wouldn't mind seeing one or at least some photos of the end result, I bet it looks good!

Old 05-19-2015, 09:35 PM
autobite
Cruiser

Originally Posted by forty_eight
Autobite, you should put together a write up with some photos for other 48 owners looking to do the same. I know I wouldn't mind seeing one or at least some photos of the end result, I bet it looks good!
just saw this I will. The install went smoothly and checked the front end and there was no resistance. But I noticed today when I pull the bars all the way to the left the bars stop then giving it a little more pressure it goes all the way. I followed the manual on retorqing the steering stem bolt so I'm not sure what it could be. I never turn my bars all the way to that point unless I'm parking so not really an issue but a concern. But would like to fix it or understand what the issue is.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:40 PM
autobite
Cruiser

Originally Posted by forty_eight
here are some photos after install

Old 05-19-2015, 10:02 PM
forty_eight
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by autobite
just saw this I will. The install went smoothly and checked the front end and there was no resistance. But I noticed today when I pull the bars all the way to the left the bars stop then giving it a little more pressure it goes all the way. I followed the manual on retorqing the steering stem bolt so I'm not sure what it could be. I never turn my bars all the way to that point unless I'm parking so not really an issue but a concern. But would like to fix it or understand what the issue is.
Thanks, looks great! That's interesting, you may swing by a local shop for some help trouble shooting the problem. How do you like running the short shots without the heat shields?