Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster question

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 09:08 PM
DarlaB
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Catching up on other things since we are in middle of monsoon and can't ride but did go out and run diagnostics. It said 'none' but then spits out a part number which it will not let me clear. Pn 32883-04A. Not getting a definite answer from my searches as to what that part is ?? Does it happen to be the damn crankshaft position sensor?? And can I change that myself?

Old 05-23-2015, 09:12 PM
WVDevil
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by DarlaB
Catching up on other things since we are in middle of monsoon and can't ride but did go out and run diagnostics. It said 'none' but then spits out a part number which it will not let me clear. Pn 32883-04A. Not getting a definite answer from my searches as to what that part is ?? Does it happen to be the damn crankshaft position sensor?? And can I change that myself?
Appears to be Ignition Control Module based on Google.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:28 PM
DarlaB
Novice

Thanks wreckwriter, only thing I was coming up with on Google were more comments on the cps.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:34 PM
WVDevil
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks wreckwriter, only thing I was coming up with on Google were more comments on the cps.
I'm really not sure of that. I can't find it on any parts lists, just basing it on the first few results here: https://www.google.com/search?q=3288...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Could be completely wrong but I think the ICM is a good place to start your troubleshooting in any case!

Old 05-24-2015, 11:44 AM
DarlaB
Novice

Have tried reading as much as possible about my issue. Still having some confusion because of similarities. And the difference in about $200 in price of parts. Icm vs. Crankshaft position sensor. I have not found anything concrete in regards to the part number 32883-04A. I used the link wreckwriter posted and still more questions. Aaaarrrghhhh!! So glad it's still raining

Old 05-24-2015, 11:52 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Darla, I don't understand this part:

...HD dealership over 70 miles away and I would rather not take it there...
...given that you've taken it to your mechanic of choice over and over again, and spent what I assume is a bucket of money, with zero results.

Unless there's something about the dealer's service department that we don't know, my suggestion would be to take it there.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:01 PM
gearhead63
6th Gear

Do you have a factory service manual? If you don't, then message me your email address and I will send you a factory manual in PDF format (FREE!). Exactly what year is your sportster? It will tell you how to check your electrical components. I use an inline spark tester, sorta like a test light. Hook plug wire to it, hook other end on plug and it flashes. the brighter the flash the stronger the spark.
Works GREAT and can tell you real quick if it's an ignition/electrical issue.
Auto parts stores usually have them, under $20. Lisle Model # 20610
One of the best tools I ever bought.

Last edited by gearhead63; 05-24-2015 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:12 PM
DarlaB
Novice

Idaho hacker , I have only had it to my mechanic once and had the work done I mentioned in first post on this thread. Two dealerships in Tulsa, one of which I don't even like to buy parts from due to their inability to get things right the first time. Like I said it's not just around the corner. I felt like and so did my mechanic that he had fixed the problem then it returned. But it is intermittent. After running the worst it ever had for about 60 miles then stopped for dinner and the last 30 miles home it purred like a kitten. ??
Thanks gearhead that would be great!

Old 05-24-2015, 10:32 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Have you, or anyone, checked your battery's cable connections? Particularly, both ends of the ground cable? Check your voltage regulator mounting bolts, too. The voltage regulator, mounted in the frame down tubes behind the front wheel, is grounded via the mounting bolts and a bad ground can produce intermittent problems.

The following users liked this post:
John Mccann (05-18-2020)
Old 05-24-2015, 11:04 PM
DarlaB
Novice

Have not checked all those but will. Thank you Harley scuba

Quick Reply: Sportster question