Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster question

Old 05-25-2015, 07:35 AM
stereoguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Seen that more than a few times.

Yep, easy to replace also

Old 05-27-2015, 05:41 PM
DarlaB
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got to ride before the rain started again on Monday. 101 miles and only one time did the bike hiccup (no smoke, no bike fire, just an ever so brief power change) while I was accelerating on a slight incline. We had gone about 40 miles. Also checked with Harley dealership in Tulsa yesterday and found out the pn # my diagnostics gives is not relevant since there is not error code. Service guy says "it's the ECM #"? Soooo. I do hope to get to look over all electrical in next few days. Then will start with troubleshooting according to service manual that i now have.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:32 PM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts
Question

What year is your bike?

Old 05-27-2015, 06:35 PM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member

Found it...

Originally Posted by DarlaB
I just joined am learning to navigate the site. I have a serious problem with my 05 custom sportster 1200 and need to figure out best place to ask my questions??

Old 05-28-2015, 09:38 AM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by DarlaB
while I was accelerating on a slight incline.
This is a symptom of the petcock I mentioned earlier, due to low vacuum while accelerating a weak petcock can partially close starving the carb of fuel. Often the first signs of it going are when pulling up a long steep hill or accelerating hard on a shorter hill. The engine is draining the float bowl faster than it's getting filled.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:47 AM
stereoguy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
This is a symptom of the petcock I mentioned earlier, due to low vacuum while accelerating a weak petcock can partially close starving the carb of fuel. Often the first signs of it going are when pulling up a long steep hill or accelerating hard on a shorter hill. The engine is draining the float bowl faster than it's getting filled.

Also a crack in the vacuum line to the carb could be cracked or not sealing well do to age.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:31 AM
DarlaB
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacuum issue,,,

Supposedly all the lines were checked and rechecked when in shop last month. No vacuum leaks could be found. The float was replaced in carb as well as a new needle to insure proper performance there. No problem when pulling onto highway and quickly accelerating to speed (65mph). Would it do the same at that time? No notice of any problem then. My husband always rides behind me on his bike and has not seen ANY smoke during these episodes. Kind of why I keep leaning towards cks or electrical problem ??

Old 05-28-2015, 10:39 AM
stereoguy
Outstanding HDF Member

When the crank position sensor on mine failed there was a crack in the face of it when I pulled it out. 04 and 05's were notorious for this failure so if yours hasn't it will, unless it has been verified good it is not expensive and a 5 minute change. Never threw any code.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:24 AM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,570 Likes on 9,798 Posts

vacuum operated petcock sticking and starving it of fuel?

+1 Also, I do know that there is a screen on the petcock that needs clean/serviced. I would ask the mechanic who sold you the tuneup about that. That is equivalent to a fuel filter on a car, which is a tune up item. You can look at the petcock and see if the factory clamps are on it, they are crimp type. If it was taken apart, it should have worm or screw type clamps on the fuel hose.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:29 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member

Did you replace the Crank Position Sensor? Less than 50.00 from the vendors that provide discounts, and seems it was an issue in bikes of that year... It was mentioned earlier - 32804-04A

Easy to change yourself and you can rule it out from the possible causes.

Here is a video link that shows the exact location... easy to swap

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sportster question