Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice quick!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 06:35 PM
Ployd4
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's pretty common for this part to fall off. Just do a search and you would be surprised. Whatever happens when you get a new one a lot of people put a small zip tie though the hole in the top of the cover and around the frame. It won't fall off again.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:38 PM
Nick 93
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Ployd4
It's pretty common for this part to fall off. Just do a search and you would be surprised. Whatever happens when you get a new one a lot of people put a small zip tie though the hole in the top of the cover and around the frame. It won't fall off again.
Thanks for the info. I will definitely zip tie it down when I get a new one. Anything else that comes off often?

Old 05-22-2015, 06:42 PM
OddJack
Road Warrior
Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

just put the bike and seat back together as is was when u walked off the dealer and tell them you want a replacement

Old 05-22-2015, 09:13 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

When I took my bike to the dealership, my battery cover opened while riding. Service guy said it is a common problem. If I recall correctly they said there are new tabs that hold the cover more securely. It was probably because I have additional cables running off my battery for various things and it was tight to get the cover on without any outward pressure.
Doesn't hurt to ask, but I would wait to put on the seat to eliminate any question that you caused it to come loose. I had a fork lock that didn't work...long story short, in lieu of fixing the lock, they installed a HD smart alarm with smart siren for free.

Last edited by hscic; 05-22-2015 at 09:20 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:48 PM
Nick 93
Tourer

Originally Posted by hscic
When I took my bike to the dealership, my battery cover opened while riding. Service guy said it is a common problem. If I recall correctly they said there are new tabs that hold the cover more securely. It was probably because I have additional cables running off my battery for various things and it was tight to get the cover on without any outward pressure.
Doesn't hurt to ask, but I would wait to put on the seat to eliminate any question that you caused it to come loose. I had a fork lock that didn't work...long story short, in lieu of fixing the lock, they installed a HD smart alarm with smart siren for free.
Did they replace the cover as well? Or were you able to find yours? I'm going to the dealer tomorrow morning right when they open. Hopefully all goes well.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:39 PM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Nick 93
So I went out for a long ride today to put some miles on for my 1k service tomorrow. Towards the end of my ride I was fueling up and noticed that the left side battery cover is completely missing. I'm guessing it must have somehow vibrated loose. I'm pretty upset about this and can't really go looking for it since I rode about 200 miles.

I'm wondering if this is something covered under warranty? I also just got the seat that I ordered and I want to put it on but I'm afraid that they'll try to say it happened because I switched seats. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I still can't believe it just fell off somewhere
Mine ALMOST fell off before I did my 1k as well. I caught it very loose on a freeway exit when I stopped. I mentioned it to my dealer, and he re-did the clasps on top. But I still had the original. It wasn't quite gripping the little nubbins all the way. I'd mention it to the dealer. It seems to be a weak point if improperly installed at the factory.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:54 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Did they replace the cover as well? Or were you able to find yours? I'm going to the dealer tomorrow morning right when they open. Hopefully all goes well.
No I did not lose my cover. It just opened while I was riding. They removed a cable that I installed to use as a jumper connection for the anitgravity charger/jumper in case the bike did not start. That gave the cover more space to close securely.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:38 AM
Nick 93
Tourer

Well it turns out that the warranty will cover it and I will be getting a new one so I am pretty happy. I will definitely make sure it is secured better now.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:09 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Well it turns out that the warranty will cover it and I will be getting a new one so I am pretty happy. I will definitely make sure it is secured better now.
Great news! Sounds like you've got a stand-up dealer you're working with. The local dealer here isn't quite so amicable, glad it worked out for you... and yea, zip ties

Old 05-23-2015, 09:53 AM
ib5150
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
Pre-ride inspections can go a long way to avoiding these sorts of issues, you should start to make it a habit of checking out your scoot before a ride, I come from the Shovelhead era where anything that can will fall off, give your ride a once over before you head out and you can catch most problems before they get expensive.

I think this is going to be a hundred dollar learning experience
I do agree that an inspection of the bike should be performed before each ride but having some experience with the side cover popping off I doubt highly it would have been noticed.

I replaced my battery and made sure everything was buttoned up then took a ride when I stopped at a light some 40 miles later I noticed my side cover open, if it wasn't for the hook at the bottom I would have lost it. After re securing it I'm happy to say it hasn't opened back up. but one would think Harley could have came up with a better way of securing it than the way it is.

Some guys use a plastic zip tie at the bottom so they won't lose it, thinking about it now it's not a bad idea..

Quick Reply: Need advice quick!!!