Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Tach and Speedo Combo install

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 08:15 PM
WVDevil
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
Question Harley Tach and Speedo Combo install

I'll be doing this soon, parts are ordered. Found a few threads on it, looks simple enough but before I jump in I wanted to see if anyone has any tips to smooth the process as much as possible or and gotchas I need to watch for.

The head unit looks like no problem but the fuel level sender might be more complicated. I've done several on cars but never on a bike. Would like to get it right the first time.

Thanks for any tips!

Tom

Old 05-23-2015, 08:40 PM
crawrj
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What year and model do you have?

Old 05-23-2015, 08:42 PM
WVDevil
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by crawrj
What year and model do you have?
09 XL1200 low

Old 05-23-2015, 09:07 PM
crawrj
Tourer

OK I'm not sure about your bike but I'm betting it's going to be just like my 48. Step 8A says that connector 200B is between the oil pan and frame. It was actually on the other side under the cover close to the seat on mine. I think there was something funky with the jumper wire also. Let me see if i posted that somewhere. Everything else was straightforward.

OK found my other post. Here's what I found.

"Also a couple of things to note since you haven't done the install yet. The instructions say to "Find fuel sender resistor connector [200B] located
between the oil tank and frame near the seat pan." It is actually on battery side. And it says to "Install wire jumper (8) to cavity 1 and 2 of pin housing
(7) and use seal pin (6) to plug remaining cavity 3." and when I tried in that literal order I couldn't get the pins to go in correctly. Instead I plugged cavity 3 first and then the pins plugged right into place with no issues."

Last edited by crawrj; 05-23-2015 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:15 PM
WVDevil
Road Warrior

OK I'm not sure about your bike but I'm betting it's going to be just like my 48. Step 8A says that connector 200B is between the oil pan and frame. It was actually on the other side under the cover close to the seat on mine. I think there was something funky with the jumper wire also. Let me see if i posted that somewhere. Everything else was straightforward.

OK found my other post. Here's what I found.

"Also a couple of things to note since you haven't done the install yet. The instructions say to "Find fuel sender resistor connector [200B] located
between the oil tank and frame near the seat pan." It is actually on battery side. And it says to "Install wire jumper (8) to cavity 1 and 2 of pin housing
(7) and use seal pin (6) to plug remaining cavity 3." and when I tried in that literal order I couldn't get the pins to go in correctly. Instead I plugged cavity 3 first and then the pins plugged right into place with no issues."
Excellent! Thank you!

Old 05-23-2015, 09:21 PM
crawrj
Tourer

Oh and step 6C is very important to proper operation so make sure you pay special attention to that step. And your welcome. Glad to help any way possible.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:28 PM
WVDevil
Road Warrior

6C huh? Hmmmm.... I'll check this thread after parts (and instructions) come in!

Old 05-23-2015, 09:38 PM
crawrj
Tourer

Yeah you can download it from the sender page on Harley site if you want to have it ready before the part comes. 6C says "Look at the gap between the fuel sensor and fuel
pump wiring. The gap must be at least 0.06 in (1.5
mm). If necessary, move wiring with a blunt tool, such
as a screwdriver."

It's been said that if the spacing isn't good you'll get incorrect readings and issues. So I made sure I gave it plenty of space. Even more than it suggested just to be safe.

Last edited by crawrj; 05-23-2015 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:49 PM
WVDevil
Road Warrior

Yeah you can download it from the sender page on Harley site if you want to have it ready before the part comes. 6C says "Look at the gap between the fuel sensor and fuel
pump wiring. The gap must be at least 0.06 in (1.5
mm). If necessary, move wiring with a blunt tool, such
as a screwdriver."

It's been said that if the spacing isn't good you'll get incorrect readings and issues. So I made sure I gave it plenty of space. Even more than it suggested just to be safe.
Yea, just found the instructions. This looks like a major pain

Old 05-23-2015, 09:53 PM
crawrj
Tourer

Nah don't sweat it. It was incredibly easy. I had to figure out the two issues I pointed out on my own. Everything else was cake. Note that you know what to look for it will be no problem. I did mine last year and couldn't be happier with it.

Quick Reply: Harley Tach and Speedo Combo install