Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions before I buy a 72

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 09:42 AM
Howler_LI
Road Captain
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

Great advice for an old fart like me, but since the OP is asking about his first Harley and has a girl friend (not a wife or ex) I'd guess that he's much younger. If a guy in his twenties asks his buds for help with carburetor problem he's going to hear ' A carbu-what?' They're not bothered by all the electronics either, it's what they know.

Starforbrian is correct about the savings though. If you've got the old-school mechanical ability, older is cheaper. Certainly think about avoiding the 1st year depreciation hit if $$$ is a problem.

New Sporty? Older Big Twin? You can't go too wrong if you keep riding it.

My take is that a lot of new riders buy Sportsters, scare themselves & park it. Not the Sporty's fault. But less likely to happen with ABS???

Originally Posted by starforbrian
You could find a nice Evo or early model Twin Cam Dyna or Softail with low mileage for thousands less than a newer 72. And you won't have all the extra electrical BS on it. If you really want a Sportster stick with a carb model as there's again less electrical crap aND you'd save tons of dough. I picked up my stock 06 883R for 4500 with 4k miles on it. You're going to want to mod it so use the money saved towards parts and such. Trust me dude there are soooooo many basically new bikes just sitting in peoples' garages; especially Sportsters. I like my Sportster because it's cheap, fun and easier to work on than a big bike... but let's face it, they're not the best freeway bikes. You could gear it taller but you sacrifice torque and have to clutch more in traffic which isn't a huge deal. Look for a later Evo Dyna or Softail and you won't regret it.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:40 PM
mydogfarted
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my Seventy Two, except for the seat, because I just can't find one my *** loves. :P It definitely makes a better around town and short trip bike, due to the tiny tank. I think the suspension isn't as terrible as people say - I'm 5'7" 210 lbs. I've done some 2 up riding with my wife on back (she's not skinny either), and with the preload cranked all the way up, we were fine.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:37 AM
Chells93
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're stuck on a sportster I'd definitely consider the 72. I've had mine and put a couple thousand miles on it now over the last 3 months and I love it. My girl comes out with me on it often and to be honest it's a pretty comfortable ride with 2. With it being my first bike and first big purchase I feel it was a great buy but if I knew what I know now I probably would have went and got a used dyna or something along those lines. Otherwise it's a great bike. I've done a couple 100+ mile rides on mine and the tank isn't bad. I've average 60 miles per gallon on it at a cruising speed of 60-65 and only stopped for gas because I didn't want to run it out but it's nice to stop every once ina while a stretch anyhow. I say go for it!!

Old 05-27-2015, 12:53 PM
kwn36
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I think the 72s looks great...just not the bike for me. I love my Custom and have it set it up to do some light touring duty.

Actually heading out tomorrow with the gf for a couple day get away. Friday is the first day of Ohio Bike Week.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:10 PM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Are you a typical harley guy size? You know theres a reason many in this thread say go bigger........because they HAVE to

But if you and your girl dont look like you live at McDonalds or KFC 24/7 a sporty is plenty of bike for whatever you would like to do. As a bonus your bike wont look like everyone else's.

Ive gone on many 1000+ mile solo rides and put many 1000s 2 up. Even take her camping 2 up. But me and my girl can easily see our toes when standing

Old 06-01-2015, 11:03 AM
Rob Robb
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There's nothing wrong with any of the Sportster line just the people buying them without really thinking it out first. Most don't like the small 2.1 gal tank or froward controls on the 72. Some prefer a larger tank & mid controls. Some get the Sportster & go ride with a group who have larger bikes & get teased for riding a girls bike or feel the need to go bigger. Just grow some *****. I also see lots of newer, low mileage larger V Twin garage queens/weekend warriors for sale ( more of them than Sportsters). I love my 72 but then I put a 4.5 gal custom tank on it. I've got a HD Sundowner 2 up seat with quick release sissy bar for when the wife rides & Progressive shocks, ( + other mods ). I have no problem with power or comfort or distance now when she does go. When someone makes a comment about it being a girls bike I just give them the "look" and ride off leaving them behind. Does no good argueing with ignorance

Old 06-13-2015, 11:34 AM
djKail
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just figured I would thank everyone for the input...

Last week I picked up a 2013 Seventy-two with about 3,000 miles on it. Saved a good amount of money over buying new and the bike is in mint condition.

So far, I am loving it! Waiting on my passenger pillion to arrive but I have the passenger pegs on, as well as a set of Rush slip ons. Getting a bit of decel popping so I might go to some Xieds until I complete the stage 1.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:02 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Congrats!! I think you're going to love it!!

The pillion is not going to be a big winner. Mine came off after one ride with my 11 year old..he said it was too uncomfortable. I've since bought a 2 up seat for when I take a passenger. Plenty of options out there. Better solo seats than the stocker makes a night and day difference also. Enjoy!

Old 06-13-2015, 03:12 PM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 672 Likes on 372 Posts

When I was looking at 1200cc Harleys last year I looked at the 72 among others. Nice bike. I went with the 1200T for the 4.5 gallon tank, which I have really appreciated having. The 72 looks pretty cool though.