Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Iron 883 exhaust decision

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 08:08 PM
BmungerIron
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Iron 883 exhaust decision

Hey guys! First post have read alot of threads on here already. Well I just bought this iron last fall and finally have some great weather to really enjoy it even tho I rode all winter if there wasn't snow on the ground!! But it's my first harley came over from a kawasaki ninja. I love the bike, but it's time for me to do some customizing! It's bone stock at the moment other than I installed the passenger kit and a quick detach sissy bar so my fiancé could ride with me. First thing I think I wanna do is exhaust and that is where my question lies. IThink out of all the research I have done I like the Vance and Hines short shots. I just can't decde between blaxk or chrome. Also a question I had was what all goes into the install? I've heard lots of people talking about having to tune it and all th jazz, I'm a new kid on the block when it comes to all this help me out please!!

Old 05-25-2015, 08:39 PM
RyanFromSC
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome bud! and congrats on the bike! I'm also a new Iron owner. The Short Shots are a nice exhaust choice. I personally went with Rush slip-ons after seeing how many people run the SS's. Well, that and I scored a great deal on them from a fellow member. Anyways, congrats again and enjoy the bike!

Old 05-25-2015, 08:45 PM
legionxxii
Advanced

From what I understand with just exhaust and stock air cleaner you don't need to tune. Now if you have aftermarket exhaust and air cleaner then you will need tune.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:59 PM
sawka
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

When I went for an exhaust my main concern when looking at each set of pipes was "will this scrap like the stock pipes" for the iron. I ended up going with something that is a bit of a burn hazard for my legs but alas, i only scrap foot pegs now. However, since I did this I do not see any feasible way to get passenger pegs on the bike or find somebody willing to risk the burn. If youre definitely not looking to go with slip on's then the short shots are nice pipes (from people I have talked to) but they are loud. As far as the tune, popular opinion is that just an exhaust youre fine.

On another note, I used to live in Pennsylvania so I know how you feel during the winters.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:01 PM
Allen Riggs
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 05-26-2015, 08:01 PM
silentlycreeping
Intermediate

Congratulations on the bike. I have a 14 Iron. I personally won't get SS's because they are so common. I like the big radius and a few others. I think I am gonna cut the cats out of my stock exhaust and add thunder torque inserts. That way I have a bump in power and the sound I am looking for on the cheap.

Short shots do look good though. I like the short shots better in black I think it's a hard choice there. The install is pretty easy. Take your time and relax while you do it. Its only a few nuts and bolts...

Old 05-26-2015, 08:10 PM
BmungerIron
1st Gear

Thanks guys! and yeah the short shots do seem to be common but I love the look they give the bike and all the reviews I have read online are awesome. I think im gonna go with black...got stuck in rain today and just washed my bike yesterday and chrome is already jacked up now! might be easier to maintain the black lol And with the flat black paint job its just begging for the blacked out look!

Safe riding out there!!

Old 05-27-2015, 06:09 AM
eki912
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have been thinking about the exact same, the V&H SS in black do look really nice ! And even if they are common, they still look good....
I still have the stock chrome ones, nothing wrong with them, but the chrome just doesn't fit the Iron as well as black pipes do....
And my stock shiny ones also look a bit sad, as I haven't bothered polishing them, not even cleaning them.
My wife ( naturally ) asked why do You have to change the perfectly OK exhaust...
well, still debating should I go for those SS pipes or not. Mainly worried about how big a job the change is (a simple DIY job in few hours saving money or take it to a dealer and pay $$$ ), and is it going to be too loud for me. I am actually one of the few owners who doesn't need more noise. Happy with the stock pipes sound.
See some pictures with Irons fitted with black SS ones... and the decision is easy!

Old 05-27-2015, 07:40 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts
Thumbs up

There are soooo many options when it comes to exhaust system.

I too love the looks of the short shots and got them for a previous bike. Almost bought them for my Sportster as well... but ended up with these:

D&D Bobcat Exhaust Black Pipes w/Carbon Fiber Sleeve and Performance baffle

Just get what you like since you are the one that will have to look at it every day.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:10 PM
DK Custom - ST
Platinum Sponsor
Received 508 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by BmungerIron
Hey guys! First post have read alot of threads on here already. Well I just bought this iron last fall and finally have some great weather to really enjoy it even tho I rode all winter if there wasn't snow on the ground!! But it's my first harley came over from a kawasaki ninja. I love the bike, but it's time for me to do some customizing! It's bone stock at the moment other than I installed the passenger kit and a quick detach sissy bar so my fiancé could ride with me. First thing I think I wanna do is exhaust and that is where my question lies. IThink out of all the research I have done I like the Vance and Hines short shots. I just can't decde between blaxk or chrome. Also a question I had was what all goes into the install? I've heard lots of people talking about having to tune it and all th jazz, I'm a new kid on the block when it comes to all this help me out please!!

Welcome!! Congrats on your first HD, you will love it!

If you are only changing one thing such as the exhaust you will be fine. However, if you are changing the Air Cleaner and the Exhaust you will need some kind of Fuel Management, as harleys come from the factory lean.

Devin and Kevin use the Power Vision on their bikes and are 100% satisfied!

We have had reports of many people using the Xied products and being completely happy as well.

Also, below is a link you may find helpful.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...uning-etc.html

Hope this helps, would be awesome to see pictures of the new bike

Kelsey

Call: 662-252-8828
Text: 662-420-4891
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i339/DKCustom/Links/Sig1-8-14_zps9d8aff35.jpg

Quick Reply: 2012 Iron 883 exhaust decision