Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long of shocks can I get away with? 5'4"

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 04:31 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Chicagogirlie
I'll need to do more research on the Ohlin shocks. They are about the same price as the Progressive 444s I was looking at. Are they really worth the price hike? I see they are more customized.
Ohlins sell a small range of shocks for our Harleys, but we also have Howard at HDF sponsor Motorcycle Metal, who builds them for us and offers discounts to members! He builds Ohlins from their components, but can build and sell us a wider variety of lengths than Ohlins themselves offer. It is well worth calling him as he will talk you through the options and will build them for your weight, height etc.

Last edited by grbrown; 05-27-2015 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Grammar.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:58 AM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

I like the shock wrench with two prongs. I dipped the working end into a can of Plasti-Dip to help protect my shocks' finish. I don't remember exactly where I purchased the spanner, but I'm fairly certain it was one of the usual on-line discount houses, like J&P, Dennis Kirk or Motorcycle Superstore. "Progressive Suspension" is stamped into the handle.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:05 AM
Chicagogirlie
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sroc3
My Corbin solo also has a "close Solo" option which I think will work perfect for you. I had a mustang Daytripper and it was too hard for me. What attracted me to Corbin was the amount of support thier seats are made with. Mine was stiff at first, but from day 1 my tailbone never hurt anymore. 500 miles later and my seat is breaking-in perfectly. Go to the Corbin site and check the application for your bike.

Like you are planning, I actually did a lot to get comfy and perfect on my bike. I now have:
- 1200c handlebars (which have a bit more of a swoop-back)
- 1" handlebar risers
- reduced reach forward controls
- Corbin seat
- Ohlins rear shocks
- Progressive front drop-ins (only cause the 48 has a Terrible stock setup)

Took me a while but I finally found my "perfect storm" you will too!
Is the 1" riser curved toward you? I already have the 1200C handlebars and have been curious also about the reduced reach handlebars that HD has on their website. I think they might be the same ones on teh 1200C. Anyone know?

I'm looking into this Corbin seat. Sounds like it has the comfort of the Mustang with the mods I need as a shorty with knee and back problems. Thank you!

Old 05-27-2015, 03:07 PM
sroc3
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicagogirlie
Is the 1" riser curved toward you? I already have the 1200C handlebars and have been curious also about the reduced reach handlebars that HD has on their website. I think they might be the same ones on the 1200C. Anyone know?

I'm looking into this Corbin seat. Sounds like it has the comfort of the Mustang with the mods I need as a shorty with knee and back problems. Thank you!
The riser I have is specific to the Sportster 48. The top clamp on the 48 does not allow you to just have the standard risers that curve towards you. The bars I got, on their own, are 1 inch up in height and 1 inch back in reach + the riser.

The Corbin seat is QUALITY. It is stiff at first but breaks in nicely. Plus they even let you return the seat for free to make one "change" to it so it's perfect for you. The comfort cell foam they use is amazing. I was skeptical at first but am truly a believer in it. Mine ended up being just right so I don't think I'm sending it back. You can even choose your own style and customize the leather options - does not cost extra.

I also recently got a Wind Shield and it works great. Keeps the wind from pounding me on the freeway/highways. You might want to consider one if you plan on doing longer rides.

Last edited by sroc3; 05-27-2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:49 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Your inseam will determine what you can do for height.
You might try a set of 13" electra glide shocks , just for the height info.
They are nearly given away (mine were free) , the street glide shocks are 12".
The reason I mention this is , the static height (just the bike) makes no difference to you.
When you sit on the bike , you now have "rider sag" which is what you're concerned with.
The proper sag should be about 1/3 of the total travel of the shocks.
11" shocks don't have enough travel so they are sprung way too hard and ride like junk.
A soft 13" shock will allow you to get the proper sag and increase available travel for the potholes (we get them in NY too).
My shocks sag at least 1" which gives me an effective height of a 12" shock.
Fortunately the air shocks are sprung pretty light , and I run 0 lbs of pressure in each.
I'm not saying they are a great shock , but they're way better than a stock '48 comes with.
Ohlins and the rest are the next level (a big jump) in quality , but at least you can find the sweet spot for height without going broke first.
Whatever you end up with must have a light enough spring rate to allow you to get the proper sag , that in itself will help you greatly for comfort.
I do recommend the Harley rider backrest , it helps me ride longer and in greater comfort (bad back)and it adjusts for shorter riders really well.
Mick

Old 06-05-2015, 07:38 PM
Chicagogirlie
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Update

Thanks for all of the advise. The Ohlins were out of my budget although they were very tempting, I was able to control myself. I've decided to get the Corbin Close Solo and sell the HD Super Reduced Reach if the Corbin seat works well with my setup. I ended up getting 13" Progressive 412s and they are super cushy...love them. I installed them myself...another first for me and doing the mechanic thing. (Changed the oil in our Sporties a few weeks ago too)

I am 2" too high now as I had the 11" 412s before and am not as confident on the bike. Before I was super confident with my feet planted. My knees just can't handle it even with the ***** of my feet planted pretty well. I need my heels back down.

I've ordered a lowering kit that I found on the net I found through Delboy's garage vids. I'll update once I get them installed.