Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long of shocks can I get away with? 5'4"

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 03:38 PM
Chicagogirlie
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How long of shocks can I get away with? 5'4"

I've been reading and searching through the forums about shocks. I currently have 11" Progressive 412 shocks on my 2009 Sporty 1200C. I've read that the longer you go with shocks, the cushier the ride can be. I only got the 11" shocks last year when I first bought this bike as they were on the discount table at HD. I should have done more research first.

My issue is that I'm 5'4" and don't want to go too high so that I'm not comfortable on the bike. I have the super reduced reach seat, so that lowers me...so I can afford to go longer some (My feet are flat when sitting). I'm just trying to find that sweet spot of not hurting my back and knees so bad when going over pot hole hell here in Chicago and still being able to touch the ground well. I don't want to tip toe the bike around either when sitting as that kills my knees (3 knee surgeries in the last 2 years on both knees and severe arthritis since). Any suggestions? Should I go 12.5? 13? 13.5? Is there a good way to measure?

Also, any recommendations on a spanner wrench as I want to adjust my current shocks some but can't as they didn't come with a wrench. I don't want to scratch my chrome, so do want a wrench. I saw one on Revzilla that uses a 3/8" ratchet which I'm not certain would work with the 412s? Anyone know?

Thanks

Old 05-26-2015, 04:12 PM
sroc3
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok....I'm 5'5 ish and have a 28 inseam....and with my Ohlins Shocks can put both feet flat on the ground. They are 11 3/4 in length, just like the stock ones. The ride is awesome and I can cruise the freeways as I please. I would highly suggest looking into some.
http://www.fuelmotousa.com/i-2085954...xl-models.html

Feel free to ask me questions if you need more help.....it did take me while to find the "right" pre-load setting as well. Us lighter guys are more sensitive to getting shocks adjusted properly so we don't get "bucked off" the bike.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:11 PM
lewk
Road Warrior
Received 213 Likes on 192 Posts

Yeah, it's your inseam that matters.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:06 PM
ImIT
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

For what its worth, I'm 5'1" and put 12.5s on my nightster, can still flat foot it.
I do where boots for the added height. Seat width also play's into it.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:25 PM
Chicagogirlie
Intermediate
Default Inseam and shocks

I'll need to do more research on the Ohlin shocks. They are about the same price as the Progressive 444s I was looking at. Are they really worth the price hike? I see they are more customized.

I couldn't tell much of a diferrence between the 412s and the 444s from what I've read so far.

My inseam is 28"

Old 05-26-2015, 11:25 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Yes inseam is the measurement that matters. Progressives are good shocks. Maybe you should consider changing your seat as longer shocks will cause you to tip-toe if you can plant now. I have 10.5" Burly shocks and fork lowering springs along with mustang tripper fastback 2-up seat in order to plant my feet...and not get back/butt pain.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:34 PM
lewk
Road Warrior
Received 213 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicagogirlie
My inseam is 28"
Mine too. You should be able to have up to 13" shock length and still be ok.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:09 AM
sroc3
Road Captain

I'll need to do more research on the Ohlin shocks. They are about the same price as the Progressive 444s I was looking at. Are they really worth the price hike? I see they are more customized.

I couldn't tell much of a diferrence between the 412s and the 444s from what I've read so far.

My inseam is 28"
While, progressive shocks are good, Ohlins are superior. When you order them, they even get your weight and riding style in order to send you the right spring with the correct spring rate. They even set the pre-load for you. Although you will want to fine tune this in order to get the best ride - I had to do this and when I finally found it, it was nirvana for me on my Sportster I weigh 150 lbs. With all my gear on. At this weight and lower it becomes more of a tightrope game trying to find that ultimate sweet spot for proper suspension balance. It will make the ride safer and also WAY more comfortable. Before the Ohlins shocks I could not even get on the freeway for more than 2 to 3 miles. It was excruciating and the bike just beat me up. As you mentioned, with your surgeries, you'll have to be even more cautious. As another member mentioned - get a good seat. This will really help down the road. Once you get the right suspension setup, you will ride farther and longer....your seat will eventually give in. The stock HD solo seat isn't padded enough. I had the same seat as you but just the regular reduced reach one. Once I got my suspension setup down, I had to change seat cause my tailbone was killing me after 10 miles or so. Focus on your suspension first then the seat change can come later.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:44 AM
Chicagogirlie
Intermediate

Yes, I want the Mustang solo seat but that will raise me back up and it's wider than the super reduced reach that I have which also pushes me forward 3 inches. I might be looking at new handlebars too so I have the comfy reach, seat, and foot plant. I was trying to avoid this pricier option but sounds like it's the way to go.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:22 AM
sroc3
Road Captain

Yes, I want the Mustang solo seat but that will raise me back up and it's wider than the super reduced reach that I have which also pushes me forward 3 inches. I might be looking at new handlebars too so I have the comfy reach, seat, and foot plant. I was trying to avoid this pricier option but sounds like it's the way to go.
My Corbin solo also has a "close Solo" option which I think will work perfect for you. I had a mustang Daytripper and it was too hard for me. What attracted me to Corbin was the amount of support thier seats are made with. Mine was stiff at first, but from day 1 my tailbone never hurt anymore. 500 miles later and my seat is breaking-in perfectly. Go to the Corbin site and check the application for your bike.

Like you are planning, I actually did a lot to get comfy and perfect on my bike. I now have:
- 1200c handlebars (which have a bit more of a swoop-back)
- 1" handlebar risers
- reduced reach forward controls
- Corbin seat
- Ohlins rear shocks
- Progressive front drop-ins (only cause the 48 has a Terrible stock setup)

Took me a while but I finally found my "perfect storm" you will too!

Quick Reply: How long of shocks can I get away with? 5'4"