Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 01:26 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by sroc3
I have the V&H Slash Cut 3" Slip-ons. They are a very good medium range between loud and quiet. Compared to most pipes they are actually pretty good in terms of decibels.

As for the cops - I was stopped last weekend for not having my registration sticker on my plate....I just got a fix-it ticket. However, the cop and I were chatting and he told me that this summer they will be hammering down on motorcycle riders in general. The reason is that during the recession, a lot of people turned to motorcycles instead of cars for transportation. Problem is that there are so many unlicensed riders out there that should not be on the road to begin with. Hence them pulling you over for as little reason as possible to see if.....you have no insurance, not registered, expired, multiple tickets...etc. He said on that day, and it was only 2pm, he had already pulled over 26 bikers and impounded 7 of them. He basically said - "just make sure you're all good, paid up and you'll be fine".
Now that makes sense...pulling you over for noise seemed pretty trivial.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:33 PM
Traxxtar
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys got this all wrong. The cop noticed a cool, nice looking ride and just had to have an excuse to get up close. C'mon, admit it you guys, you too would like to get a close-up of nice rides you see on the street once in awhile.

The following users liked this post:
EarlB (09-11-2020)
Old 05-27-2015, 03:07 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,641 Likes on 1,132 Posts

So, instead of being pulled over for "driving while black" it's now "driving with bike?"

John

EarlB (09-11-2020)
Old 05-27-2015, 04:56 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The newer SE street legal mufflers are about the only thing out there that's actually tame and has EPA stamps on them.
I have a set of SEll (old style) and they are quite loud , too loud for me , I actually toned them down a bunch myself.
I have heard some of the Cobras that didn't seem too bad also.
Supertrapp makes nice stuff , expensive but nice and adjustable too.
Mick

EarlB (09-11-2020)
Old 05-28-2015, 06:48 AM
JerseyDoug
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Find a bike with the Cobra slip-ons and see if you like them.

I replaced my stock mufflers with the 3" Cobras + 2" baffles. thought they were too loud and tried the 1.75" baffles. Still a bit too loud, so I installed a set of the street legal SE from HD. Better than stock and quieter than Cobras.

Of course, I just did a stage 1 upgrade and re-installed the Cobras, Screaming Eagle intake and XiEDs. Decided I wanted more sound and a cooler running engine.

EarlB (09-11-2020)
Old 05-28-2015, 09:11 PM
ib5150
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Noise when it pertained to an exhaust use to be a Fix-it ticket in California not anymore, they figured out that most would re-install their stock pipes get the ticket wrote-off then would put the loud pipes back on, anymore it is a flat out cash grab by the authorities, I have heard of some tickets costing a hundred or so and others costing well into 250 to 350 dollar range for the first ticket.

California is exempt from standard State court fee so basically each city can set their own fee, beach city courts have the highest fees, while ghetto courts have the lowest!

So the actual Fine could be $75.00 but then you add court fee, administration fee and now you have a $300.00 ticket, Thank you Gov. Brown

Last edited by ib5150; 05-28-2015 at 09:18 PM.
EarlB (09-11-2020)
Old 05-29-2015, 12:41 AM
Allen Riggs
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I used to live just over the Vincent Thomas bridge from Long Beach and had some close calls with the fine law abiding law enforcement officers myself. (They pump illegal drugs known as steroids so that they can be intimidating to citizens in their minds and then write tickets for after market pipes.) Go to Google and search Long Beach police shoot unarmed man and see what you get. But any way, that is just one man's opinion.

I had the Short Shots at the time and just put in the quite baffles from V&H. I actually liked the sound better with the quite baffles better than the original ones that came with the Short Shots. Other than that I just eased the gas while traveling through Long Beach. Smiling helps too.

Allen

Old 05-29-2015, 02:54 AM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts

If you want a relatively inexpensive fix for your loud exhaust, you may want to look into Patriot Defenders 2 into 1. They perform great and have an adjustable butterfly valve which can be closed to redirect the exhaust through a quiet baffle to tame the sound when you need to then you can open it back up when you want a nice loud exhaust. They have a nice deep rumble at idle and scream at WOT. I have not closed the valve on mine but don't need to here in New Mexico. Check them out.

http://shop.patriotpipes.com/m141510...l#.VWgZ7c9Viko

http://patriotpipes.com/video.html?

Last edited by Bowhunter8607; 05-29-2015 at 02:59 AM.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:26 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowhunter8607
If you want a relatively inexpensive fix for your loud exhaust, you may want to look into Patriot Defenders 2 into 1. They perform great and have an adjustable butterfly valve which can be closed to redirect the exhaust through a quiet baffle to tame the sound when you need to then you can open it back up when you want a nice loud exhaust. They have a nice deep rumble at idle and scream at WOT. I have not closed the valve on mine but don't need to here in New Mexico. Check them out.

http://shop.patriotpipes.com/m141510...l#.VWgZ7c9Viko

http://patriotpipes.com/video.html?
Cool feature...can close when leaving the house and open when you are far enough from the neighborhood. It is an adjustable torque insert. Do you have an adjustment control on the handlebar? I wonder how it would perform with the change in exhaust air flow. Thanks for sharing.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:55 AM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
Cool feature...can close when leaving the house and open when you are far enough from the neighborhood. It is an adjustable torque insert. Do you have an adjustment control on the handlebar? I wonder how it would perform with the change in exhaust air flow. Thanks for sharing.
It has a wire with a bolt. Nothing fancy. The Jekyll and Hyde pipe is built in Europe and has a valve that is adjusted electronically, but they run like $1200 or so here in the US. This one is just a manual adjustment but there are a couple of people who have made simple and cheap devices to adjust on the fly. Here is a video of one guy who made a switch using a choke switch then upgraded his design to electrical adjustment.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Help Please