Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Help Please

Old 05-27-2015, 09:14 AM
ib5150
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Exhaust Help Please

I was recently pulled over in Long Beach CA. and given a warning about the noise produced by my exhaust pipes and the Officer told me that many beach cities will be citing motorcycles this summer for the excessive noise, my friend told me yesterday she was cited in Seal Beach CA. over the memorial weekend for modified exhaust on her HD.

I'm in the market for a quieter exhaust, right now I have V&H Straight Shot slip-on's which to say the least are LOUD, I'm not looking to go back to stock but I do want to tone it down some maybe even gain more of a deeper sound, I have tried the quiet baffles for the V&H but they are still too loud.

Does anyone know of slip-on that is quieter than the V&H and that will make the sound emitted deeper as well, I will go full system if needed but would rather keep my head pipes and just change the ends.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:31 AM
kwn36
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Love my Cobra 3" slip ons...nice low burble at idle and they sound awesome at WOT...but certainly not deafening. Plus, got them at a great price through the HD dealership that my gf works at.

http://www.cobrausa.com/h_d_sportste...mufflers/6031/

Old 05-27-2015, 09:34 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

What about the thunder torque inserts?

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/Thun...nserts_c57.htm

The following users liked this post:
EarlB (09-11-2020)
Old 05-27-2015, 09:46 AM
MOBSTER48
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kwn36
Love my Cobra 3" slip ons...nice low burble at idle and they sound awesome at WOT...but certainly not deafening. Plus, got them at a great price through the HD dealership that my gf works at.

http://www.cobrausa.com/h_d_sportste...mufflers/6031/
I have these as well in black and they look and sound amazing.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:55 AM
kwn36
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MOBSTER48
I have these as well in black and they look and sound amazing.
Rock on...

Old 05-27-2015, 10:47 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

As Mr Taipan mentioned, DK Customs Thunder Torque Inserts may quiet down the pipes a bit. Need to get one that properly fits the pipes and perhaps the Q (quiet) inserts.
I have 3" Rush with 2" baffles and installed W258 and it quieted down the volume quite a bit....the Q258 would have quieted the pipes even more. It is a cheap fix if you like the V&H. Another option is the newer EPA compliant SEs. I believe it is called street performance. The older SEIIs are still too loud.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:55 AM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

Smartpartz.com
Great product and service. Give them a call and they will give you the info you need. They really work well.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:25 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,631 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Just a warning??? No ticket?

I'd forget about it. Do the cops have decibel meters??? Do you know what the law is in Long Beach??? Or, any other beach city???

Sounds fishy to me. A very, very subjective offense IMO. Sounds like the cop was looking for issues.

https://www.municode.com/library/ca/...8HESA_CH8.80NO

Under 8.8.010 Policy, Section C, Number 2 it appears as if Long Beach can't override state and federal noise laws.

John

Last edited by John Harper; 05-27-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:48 PM
DK Custom - ST
Platinum Sponsor
Received 508 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by ib5150
I was recently pulled over in Long Beach CA. and given a warning about the noise produced by my exhaust pipes and the Officer told me that many beach cities will be citing motorcycles this summer for the excessive noise, my friend told me yesterday she was cited in Seal Beach CA. over the memorial weekend for modified exhaust on her HD.

I'm in the market for a quieter exhaust, right now I have V&H Straight Shot slip-on's which to say the least are LOUD, I'm not looking to go back to stock but I do want to tone it down some maybe even gain more of a deeper sound, I have tried the quiet baffles for the V&H but they are still too loud.

Does anyone know of slip-on that is quieter than the V&H and that will make the sound emitted deeper as well, I will go full system if needed but would rather keep my head pipes and just change the ends.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Not sure exactly how much quieter you are wanting to go but, you could try the Thunder Torque Inserts as mentioned above. These will quieten it down some and allow you to have a deeper tone as you are wanting

If you are just wanting to get a new exhaust in general you could always go to your local bike night, and this will give you a chance to hear all the different sounds of exhaust in person, this way you can see what sound you like best.
Hope this helps you out

Kelsey

Call: 662-252-8828
Text: 662-420-4891
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i339/DKCustom/Links/Sig1-8-14_zps9d8aff35.jpg

Last edited by DK Custom - ST; 05-27-2015 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:05 PM
sroc3
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the V&H Slash Cut 3" Slip-ons. They are a very good medium range between loud and quiet. Compared to most pipes they are actually pretty good in terms of decibels.

As for the cops - I was stopped last weekend for not having my registration sticker on my plate....I just got a fix-it ticket. However, the cop and I were chatting and he told me that this summer they will be hammering down on motorcycle riders in general. The reason is that during the recession, a lot of people turned to motorcycles instead of cars for transportation. Problem is that there are so many unlicensed riders out there that should not be on the road to begin with. Hence them pulling you over for as little reason as possible to see if.....you have no insurance, not registered, expired, multiple tickets...etc. He said on that day, and it was only 2pm, he had already pulled over 26 bikers and impounded 7 of them. He basically said - "just make sure you're all good, paid up and you'll be fine".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust Help Please