Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deflector DX - on my 48

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 10:06 AM
sroc3
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Deflector DX - on my 48

All that buffeting was just too bothersome on longer trips so I started searching for a good shield that would not be too big and bulky. The HD ones work well but are pretty huge. This I found to be a good balance and at 60 to 75 mph, keeps all the major buffeting away from me so I can actually enjoy my ride more VERY happy with it and it looks pretty good too - well, as a good as a 48 looks with a shield....lol.

Installation was pretty straightforward (once you figure out how to push down the handlebar clamps) and it's nice that you can adjust rake and tilt manually, w/ no tools required. Removal is also very easy. Twist a couple of ***** and then pull off. Simple.

I went for an early night ride and wore my mesh jacket. I usually get the cold blast enough that it gets uncomfortable after a while. Worked fine and only the edges of my arms got the brunt of it. On the freeways I feel the wind buffeting my helmet and the noise increase is noticeable, but bearable. A small tuck of about 1" or so and the wind just goes over my helmet. I'm shorter (5'5) so I'm sure if I play with the adjustable tilt a little more I can stay totally upright and not have to duck. I have the lightly tinted one and visibility is perfect.

Overall, a fantastic option for those who want a shield that works well enough to block a good amount of wind and looks good too

Old 05-27-2015, 10:48 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Very nice!!! I really like the windshield you have there. As much as I like the looks of the HD unit that I have, it is just a wind deflector... not a real windshield.

I just wonder if I could install it without removing the one currently on my bike... just for those longer trips...

Anyway, great looking bike you have there and thank you for sharing your experience with the Deflector DX

Old 05-27-2015, 11:45 AM
sroc3
Road Captain

Originally Posted by wachuko
Very nice!!! I really like the windshield you have there. As much as I like the looks of the HD unit that I have, it is just a wind deflector... not a real windshield.

I just wonder if I could install it without removing the one currently on my bike... just for those longer trips...

Anyway, great looking bike you have there and thank you for sharing your experience with the Deflector DX
Thanks If you look at my signature I have the HD mini deflector shield installed. I removed it prior. But after the install, it looks like you can keep it on and still use the Deflector DX over it.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:47 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by sroc3
Thanks If you look at my signature I have the HD mini deflector shield installed. I removed it prior. But after the install, it looks like you can keep it on and still use the Deflector DX over it.
Poifect!!!

Old 05-27-2015, 09:26 PM
Traxxtar
Cruiser

I bought a DX last year, kept it on for about 30 miles, and promptly took it off. I'm only 5'6" and the head buffeting was a killer. If the shield was about 2" taller, I think it would be perfect.

Anyone want a DX with only 30 miles on it?

Old 05-27-2015, 10:56 PM
sroc3
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Traxxtar
I bought a DX last year, kept it on for about 30 miles, and promptly took it off. I'm only 5'6" and the head buffeting was a killer. If the shield was about 2" taller, I think it would be perfect.

Anyone want a DX with only 30 miles on it?
Yup if you wear an open face helmet, I can imagine how annoying it would be. Although I'm an inch shorter and that probably is helping me For longer trips I'll be extending it out a bit and tilting it up more to completely keep the wind away from my head. Right now it's set to its lowest distance setting.

Old 05-28-2015, 02:12 AM
TheMakani
Tourer

looks good. its very subtle and doesn't take away from your bike. looking at the pics, i can barely tell its there

Old 05-28-2015, 07:04 AM
awilson40
Road Warrior

Received 1,387 Likes on 516 Posts

Buffeting ??? what buffeting?
I'm 6' and was worried about buffeting when I bought my 48 as it was terrible on my Suzuki M50 Boulevard. I've been really surprised. I ride 65 or so with no issues. I can ride one handed. Now it does kick up over 70 so I could see how a long trip on the interstate would be an issue. One think I have noticed is that my feet want to blow off the pegs above 70

Old 05-28-2015, 08:45 AM
Traxxtar
Cruiser

Originally Posted by sroc3
Right now it's set to its lowest distance setting.
Maybe I need to give it another chance and spend time adjusting it a bit more. I think mine is a 15" screen. What size is your screen?

Old 05-28-2015, 09:29 AM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,118 Likes on 2,674 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxxtar
Maybe I need to give it another chance and spend time adjusting it a bit more. I think mine is a 15" screen. What size is your screen?

I'm 5'6" too and it was fine on my sporty. Probably just need to adjust it.

Quick Reply: Deflector DX - on my 48