Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Rattle Can Spray Paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 03:09 PM
bigmant
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Removing Rattle Can Spray Paint

Hey guys, I'm afraid I already know the answer to this but I thought I'd put it out there anyway. I just bought a nightster that's a pretty sweet bike. Only one problem with it though, the last guy who owned it sprayed everything in black gloss spray paint and rhino liner. And when I say everything, I mean EVERYTHING, tins, engine, exhaust, the whole f-ing bike So before I go off and send the tins out to be painted, I just wanted to know if there's anything I can do to get any of that off. I literally cant make it any worse than it already is haha. Let me know what you've got!

Old 05-27-2015, 03:12 PM
Raulgutz
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would take it to sand blast it. Just in case he painted it to hide some damage on the tins if he ever dropped it, bondo it and then gave it a rattle job.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:13 PM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Some fine wet sanding can probably work for the paint... but for the rhino liner!? yikes!! Not sure what will remove that!

Old 05-27-2015, 03:22 PM
bigmant
Tourer

Yea he downed the bike, that was the first thing I asked him when I saw it. Some of the right side is all scratched up, like on the exhaust and footpegs, but she runs just fine. It'll be a project haha. I just want to know if I can get all that garbage off! haha

Old 05-27-2015, 03:50 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,634 Likes on 1,128 Posts

Aircraft Remover. Supposed to work well on paint/finishes. Not sure about Rhino Liner.

This black/black/black fad needs to end. Every Sportster I see lately is so identically cookie cutter. Apes, flat black tins, black leathers, black full face helmet, black engine. Like Darth Vader's munchkin minions. Boring.

John

Last edited by John Harper; 05-27-2015 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:15 PM
bigmant
Tourer

Originally Posted by John Harper
Aircraft Remover. Supposed to work well on paint/finishes. Not sure about Rhino Liner.

This black/black/black fad needs to end. Every Sportster I see lately is so identically cookie cutter. Apes, flat black tins, black leathers, black full face helmet, black engine. Like Darth Vader's munchkin minions. Boring.

John
Will the remover also take off the chrome that may be underneath? Like any of the chrome that was originally on the engine?

Don't worry man, I'll break the mold here in a bit. I'll post up a build thread this weekend as I get started with the work. I'm brainstorming ideas with what direction I'm going to take the color. I know I want it metallic, but what colors I haven't decided. Black is going to have to be part of it in some capacity I'm afraid though, since the entirety of the engine is black.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:16 PM
Andy Knell
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

John
It's the new chrome. I grew up around chromed-out Harleys. I dreaded hearing, "Son, come give me a hand!" I polished while he sat around BSing with the neighbors. I remember thinking this chromed out look needs to end.

I have a mix of chrome and mostly black but I do want a blue tank. To each his own.

Good luck with the rattle can mess. I hear you can check for bondo with a weak magnet. It's an excuse to paint the colors you want too.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:35 PM
bigmant
Tourer

Its an excuse for the tins but not for the engine and exhaust atrocity haha. I guess I could buy new the parts that should be chrome, like the rocker covers and pushrod tubes, but I'd like to avoid that if possible. If theres a way to strip the paint off of them without hurting the chrome I'd do it.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:15 PM
lowered883
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John

Sorry chrome dome charlie, i bet your fun at parties... People do what looks good and whats in style, if its so boring i suggest going to ride a vespa.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:22 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

Talk to your painter, let him decide.