Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New '15 Iron 883 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 08:10 PM
CrapperJohn
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New '15 Iron 883 Owner

Hi Everyone. I posted this in the new members forum, so if reposting here is inappropriate, please let me know!

Greetings all, just wanted to introduce myself to the community. I live just north of Chicago, in Evanston, IL. I am a mid-40's "Gen-X'er." Just picked up a 2015 Iron 883 and am new to riding. well, I haven't ridden in about 30 years, so that pretty much makes me new again!

I took a riding class late last year and got my M license so I figured I'd upgrade from my 100cc Scooter this summer. I wasn't *planning* on getting a sportster, or a Harley, at all. As a matter of fact, I was pretty fond of the Triumph Bonneville... read alot about them, and saw a couple that were set up in stores as props (Not a dealer).

But one day I was in Glenview where there's an HD dealer and thought maybe I would road test the City 750. After seeing these online, I thought it would give me the same type of ride as the Bonney, but in a smaller package. While there, I looked at the 883. The salesman offered to take me out on the 750 while he took the 883. He said we could switch at some point so I can see how both rode and to see if one suited me better than the other.

I first rode off on the Street. Noticed right away of a surging issue on it (fuel light was on). After stalling it out a few times at a couple lights, we stopped off. My confidence was shot. I thought it would be a good time to ride the Sporty. Right away, the sales guy was having trouble getting going and thought it was out of gas! D'oh. He said he'd meet me back, so I rode off on the Sportster. Man, what a difference. Not just that it didn't stall, but the whole experience. The way it rode, and they way it made me feel just oozed cool. Loved the mechanical nature of the shifting and rumbling of the Evolution Engine!

When I got back I was immediately thinking that was the bike for me. I still wanted to properly test the Street, so they brought one out that worked. I rode it half the distance and thought to myself, "Man this isn't the same experience." Sure it was smoother, quieter, and handled better. But I didn't get that same feeling of "Coolness" that the Iron gave me. When I got back, I had time to ponder. I was waiting for the wife to come get me and thought, "OK, I need to test ride the Bonney, but the Triumph dealer is damn near 50 miles away! When can I make it there?"

Just then, the "aggressive sales manager" came up with a contract in hand. I had no intention of purchasing a bike that day. After an hour of listening to him tell me how I would regret not buying one, my wife showed up. He then went into "What would it take mode." I thought, OK, let's see how low he could go. I already got the lowest rate available, so I just went by what the payment would be.

After getting them to come down about $800 off list, plus a chance in their "cash grab" room (A little room where money is blown around and you grab as much as you can). I went out and talked to the wife. She basically said "what are you waiting for" and I signed the dotted line! And I drove home with a New Iron 883! (Plus a $200 gift card from the cash grab) YAY!

I never have made such a purchase that quickly, but getting them to knock about $20 a month off my payment made it too easy. Probably could have gotten a little more, but what can you do... I though it was a pretty good deal.

Now I own a Harley-Davidson Sportster Iron 883 and might I say, it does ooze cool. I've gotten so many compliments and the commute to downtown Chicago along Lake Shore Drive is awesome! Every once in a while I'll pass a Bonney and wonder. But somehow, it doesn't matter to me that I didn't try one. I am satisfied with my purchase.

One final thought. If I had solely gone by the reviews, I am sure I would have chosen the Triumph. But after riding the Iron for a couple weeks I realize that all of the "negatives" I read about the Iron 883. (Cannot take tight corners without scraping pegs, Slower 1/4 mile speeds, lower power, lower top end speeds, uncomfortable on long hauls, etc) I realize that none of that matters as that isn't the type of rider I am. At least not now.

My commute has some tight turns and it handled them just fine. I'm not a drag racer, so if a bike wants to race, they'd be racing themselves! I don't plan on many jaunts on I-90/94, and when I do, I am not concerned that it doesn't hit 115 MPH. And my only long trip I am planning is a ride up to Lake Geneva (About 70 miles). So all of those negatives don't translate. So again, thanks for reading and I'll be looking for some guidance from the more experienced riders in this community. I am already thinking of picking up a saddle seat and a matching solo bag. Brown distressed leather seems to look real nice against the black denim paint. Thanks for reading and I'm looking forward to some great riding and tinkering on my new ride!

PS, is it protocol to give your bike a name?

Last edited by CrapperJohn; 05-28-2015 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:21 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

Nice, congrats!
Sure, give it a name if you want, I didn't mean to but after the first ride on mine it became "the machine"

Old 05-28-2015, 08:27 PM
MikeLaPlaya
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi there great stuff , enoy it , i have done rides of more than 2500 kms ...stock seat ..stock bike .. I thing i will tell you ......
GO AND BUY SOME NYLON TIES AND FIX YOUR BTTERY COVER or it will fall off ...
they will fit thru the holes and if you get them in black you will never see them ..
whats is 20 cents for 2 nylon ties ..???
ride safe and far ..

Old 05-28-2015, 09:31 PM
CrapperJohn
6th Gear

Thanks HOTLAP, I like it, ("The Machine"), Reminds me of Jack Lemon in Glengarry Glen Ross! Nice bike!

Thanks Mike, will look into the nylon ties. And good to know you've ridden that long without issue!

Last edited by CrapperJohn; 05-28-2015 at 09:32 PM. Reason: typos
Old 05-29-2015, 08:17 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Welcome. Good choice, the denim black ones are cooler as well as faster...

Old 05-29-2015, 08:25 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Congrats on the new ride, but owning a motorized 2-wheeler isn't meant to be "cool"...they're for fun, stress relief & freedom. Don't be a Bad Brad and give us this rep:

Old 05-29-2015, 03:13 PM
CrapperJohn
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Congrats on the new ride, but owning a motorized 2-wheeler isn't meant to be "cool"...they're for fun, stress relief & freedom. Don't be a Bad Brad and give us this rep:
Ok, that ^^ was funny... And definitely not what I mean by "cool!" LOL

Old 05-29-2015, 08:02 PM
sawka
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Congrats on the new ride, but owning a motorized 2-wheeler isn't meant to be "cool"...they're for fun, stress relief & freedom. Don't be a Bad Brad and give us this rep: Bad Boy Brad Gets A New Bike - YouTube
That was quite possibly the bast video I have watched in a while. Nut back to the name thing, you don't need to but I like it. Her name is Ashley (an ex I used to have that was kind of loud). I also call her Stacey sometimes when I'm on some really windy back roads and really having fun. Sometimes the wrong name just kind of pops out.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:08 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by CrapperJohn
Hi Everyone...
PS, is it protocol to give your bike a name?
No.
I didn't read the whole post. I scanned down to the pic and noticed the Post Script.
The Iron 883 is a great lookin' starter kit. Those reflectors on your forks are removable.
Welcome to the forum.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:02 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by CrapperJohn
Ok, that ^^ was funny... And definitely not what I mean by "cool!" LOL
Gotta lay down the "Bad Brad" card every now-n-then to dial-in why we own/ride...

Seriously tho - ride safe & enjoy that Sporty!

Quick Reply: New '15 Iron 883 Owner