Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 72 Riding Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 09:53 PM
The Professor
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 72 Riding Impressions

I recently purchased a 72 and have since put on over 1,000 miles. For those of you thinking about buying this bike, for for those of you just curious, I thought I would jot down some things I've learned about this machine.

Let me say that my last bike was an Ultra that I road religiously. However, a serious shoulder injury made riding a larger bike impossible--at least for now. The 72 allowed me to continue riding and to think a bit more about why I ride. Anyway, I've also owned just about every other HD model.

I'll be blunt. I love this bike. I love riding this bike. I love having an unobstructed view in front of me. I love hammering it through turns. I simply love riding this bike. While it doesn't offer all the protection from wind/bugs my Ultra gave me and while I don't listen to music riding any more.....I have found that I actually enjoy the experience much, much more. My mind focuses on riding and on the riding experience.

Ok..... the bike. I'm 6' 2" and worried that the bike wouldn't fit. I'm just a tad big for it but it works--at least for me. The bike is skinny and the front tire/wheel is also skinny. This requires some getting used to but I can say that the narrowness of the frame and the rake of the front end make for some fun riding. Even in tight turns at speed I have yet to encounter any of those scary moments where I thought that skinny tire might not want to cooperate.

The engine has a lot of low end torque and with my stage 1 kit, it jumps off the line. Acceleration is brisk and my RC Custom pipes sound bitchin when I give it the throttle. At the upper ranges I run out of juice and arm strength about 85 mph. On the highway, with all the turbulence and wind you get, the bike still has enough power to get past those big rigs--although there are times where I wish I had just a bit more power. Speaking of the highway....the air blast ain't all that bad but obviously a lot more than my ultra with its protective fairing. The ride is reasonably comfortable but you really don't have the presence on the rode that you have with a larger bike.

Take off the stock seat and throw it away. I put on a LePera Cherokee. The seat looks great and is WAY better than that solo HD seat. Even so, your butt is going to get tired a bit fast on this bike. Given the narrow frame, the seat is equally narrow. This means that there is not as much surface area to spread your butt against. If you have a big butt, you might want to keep this in mind.

I find the mini-apes very comfortable and well positioned. Still, I'm thinking about putting on some larger apes to make my reach a bit higher. Not sure yet.

That tiny 2.2 gal tank posed an issue for me. After all, my ultra had 5 gallons I would generally run the thing dry before stopping for gas. With my 72 I have learned that a gas station is my new best friend. While I get about 45 miles per gallon, depending, I generally gas up when the light comes on---which is about 65 or so miles. Trust me, you are ready to stretch, pee, and get a drink at this point anyway so it really isn't that big of a deal. For longer rides, however, I bought a cool red gas can that I can take with me that gives me enough gas to get somewhere in case I push it too far. I bought the can from Biltwell and use it only when I'm going someplace where gas stations are sparse.

Next week I'm putting on a 3 inch tank lift kit and the coil/ignition relocation. I simply like the look. Indeed, I really like the lines of the 72 and the more I've ridden it, the more I've grown to appreciate just how cool of a design it really is. It turns heads and I get a lot of compliments about the bike.

So, would I buy the 72 again? Damn straight. Like I said, I love riding this bike. It makes me feel alive and makes me better appreciate the overall riding experience. Stripped down, slim, and simple equals true motorcycle riding. Indeed, if the bike were just a tad bit larger or just a tad bit stockier, it would be the perfect HD.

Oh....I used to wear a helmet on rare occasions. With the 72, however, I now wear one almost all of the time.....a Biltwell along with Biltwell googles. You really don't appreciate how much a fairing cuts down on sand, bugs, rocks, and stinging creatures until you ride without one.

The 72 rocks.......enjoy.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:12 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Nice review. I was wondering how a 72 would be as a second bike. Good to hear the perspective of a former Ultra rider.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:28 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Ive read more than a couple stories of guys going back to sportsters then realizing they had lost the visceral raw experience of motorcycling with the big bikes. It brings them back to the reason they had fell in love with motorcycles in the first place.

To me the smaller tanks are a plus. It forces you to stop and interact with the people and things of back road America. If you want to go 300 miles without stoping on the most boring roads (interstates) with no wind in your face and blasting your tunes.........have at it. For that.........Ill take my Lincoln.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:34 AM
mydogfarted
Tourer

Pretty much spot on about how I feel about mine. I'm on my third seat (HD Spring seat, B.A.R. Cobra, and currently LePera Bare Bones), and still haven't found something that is comfortable - saving for a Mustang Vintage Wide next. Seriously considering replacing the peanut tank with this 3.8 gallon from Ryca http://shop.rycamotors.com/sportster..._07_to_14.html

Old 05-29-2015, 12:06 PM
misput
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by The Professor
I recently purchased a 72 and have since put on over 1,000 miles. For those of you thinking about buying this bike, for for those of you just curious, I thought I would jot down some things I've learned about this machine.

Let me say that my last bike was an Ultra that I road religiously. However, a serious shoulder injury made riding a larger bike impossible--at least for now. The 72 allowed me to continue riding and to think a bit more about why I ride. Anyway, I've also owned just about every other HD model.

I'll be blunt. I love this bike. I love riding this bike. I love having an unobstructed view in front of me. I love hammering it through turns. I simply love riding this bike. While it doesn't offer all the protection from wind/bugs my Ultra gave me and while I don't listen to music riding any more.....I have found that I actually enjoy the experience much, much more. My mind focuses on riding and on the riding experience.

Ok..... the bike. I'm 6' 2" and worried that the bike wouldn't fit. I'm just a tad big for it but it works--at least for me. The bike is skinny and the front tire/wheel is also skinny. This requires some getting used to but I can say that the narrowness of the frame and the rake of the front end make for some fun riding. Even in tight turns at speed I have yet to encounter any of those scary moments where I thought that skinny tire might not want to cooperate.

The engine has a lot of low end torque and with my stage 1 kit, it jumps off the line. Acceleration is brisk and my RC Custom pipes sound bitchin when I give it the throttle. At the upper ranges I run out of juice and arm strength about 85 mph. On the highway, with all the turbulence and wind you get, the bike still has enough power to get past those big rigs--although there are times where I wish I had just a bit more power. Speaking of the highway....the air blast ain't all that bad but obviously a lot more than my ultra with its protective fairing. The ride is reasonably comfortable but you really don't have the presence on the rode that you have with a larger bike.

Take off the stock seat and throw it away. I put on a LePera Cherokee. The seat looks great and is WAY better than that solo HD seat. Even so, your butt is going to get tired a bit fast on this bike. Given the narrow frame, the seat is equally narrow. This means that there is not as much surface area to spread your butt against. If you have a big butt, you might want to keep this in mind.

I find the mini-apes very comfortable and well positioned. Still, I'm thinking about putting on some larger apes to make my reach a bit higher. Not sure yet.

That tiny 2.2 gal tank posed an issue for me. After all, my ultra had 5 gallons I would generally run the thing dry before stopping for gas. With my 72 I have learned that a gas station is my new best friend. While I get about 45 miles per gallon, depending, I generally gas up when the light comes on---which is about 65 or so miles. Trust me, you are ready to stretch, pee, and get a drink at this point anyway so it really isn't that big of a deal. For longer rides, however, I bought a cool red gas can that I can take with me that gives me enough gas to get somewhere in case I push it too far. I bought the can from Biltwell and use it only when I'm going someplace where gas stations are sparse.

Next week I'm putting on a 3 inch tank lift kit and the coil/ignition relocation. I simply like the look. Indeed, I really like the lines of the 72 and the more I've ridden it, the more I've grown to appreciate just how cool of a design it really is. It turns heads and I get a lot of compliments about the bike.

So, would I buy the 72 again? Damn straight. Like I said, I love riding this bike. It makes me feel alive and makes me better appreciate the overall riding experience. Stripped down, slim, and simple equals true motorcycle riding. Indeed, if the bike were just a tad bit larger or just a tad bit stockier, it would be the perfect HD.

Oh....I used to wear a helmet on rare occasions. With the 72, however, I now wear one almost all of the time.....a Biltwell along with Biltwell googles. You really don't appreciate how much a fairing cuts down on sand, bugs, rocks, and stinging creatures until you ride without one.

The 72 rocks.......enjoy.
The only problem I have with it is the more rough reaction the skinny tire has to the bumps in the road compared to the fatter tires on other models but I suppose that's a small price to pay for a great bike otherwise.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:18 PM
Gnarleydudes80
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got my 72 today, rode it for 4 hours. This bike is so much nicer than my iron, i cant even describe it. The ride is so much smoother, less vibration, and the 1200 just feels amazing to me. Im very happy right now.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:40 PM
Sweforty8
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great write up! I would have to agree, a smaller bike gives you some more riding action than a bigger one. There are pros and cons with all bikes but I personally prefer the smaller sporty! A couple of weeks back I sold my sporty 48 and last week I picked up a black denim 72. Even though they are pretty much the same they do ride a little differently thanks to that skinny front 21" wheel. Know I'm gonna enjoy this one as much as the old 48!

Ride safe and keep using that helmet!

Old 05-29-2015, 01:51 PM
Doug_Lyfe
Intermediate

Originally Posted by The Professor
I think the 72 is the best looking stock bike hands-down, congrats. I'd have one if I didn't live next to the water, I'd hate to see all that chrome get ruined. +1 on the cherokee seat, I love it, passengers seem to like it, having another one made right now. Which one did you get? Pics of the bike?

Old 05-30-2015, 01:16 PM
The Professor
Advanced

Yep, I've had some good times talking with folks in the gas station. It is funny how something so small literally reconnects you with people. I put the "smooth" Cherokee seat on because I wanted to keep a certain look. Le Pera clearly makes some nicer seats but so far, this one works fairly well. My tank kit and relocation brackets came in today so off to the garage. I'll post picts when done. Ride hard!

Last edited by The Professor; 05-30-2015 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-30-2015, 02:55 PM
Lonnie Mac
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I gotta say I completely relate to this. Riding cruisers forever kinda made me forget what being on a bike was really about. While I don't have the 72, I got the ole 96, and it makes me feel like a man again.

Quick Reply: My 72 Riding Impressions