Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1989 Harley-Davidson XLH1200 Sportster

Old 05-29-2015, 10:48 PM
Ron Bizzle
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1989 Harley-Davidson XLH1200 Sportster

Hello guys....I just bought a 1989 Harley-Davidson XLH1200 Sportster from a friend of mine... he told me before I bought it.. it was making a clicking noise in 3rd gear... so I been avoiding 3rd gear...but after riding it a while.. I noticed it more than just a noise in 3rd gear... and I am afraid to ride it at all now because I'm thinking the transmission could lock up....I would like to get some tips or even a manual so I can try to get it fixed asap.....I only payed $1800.00 for the bike so I thought it was worth fixing.

1989 Harley-Davidson XLH1200 Sportster

Last edited by Ron Bizzle; 05-29-2015 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-30-2015, 12:00 AM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Nice sounding pipes. Toward the end I could hear the clacking sound. Haven't any idea of what it is. Could be in the clutch or in the primary chain. But sitting there running in neutral would say to me that it is not in the tranny with the clacking going on. Even without a manual taking the primary cover off should not be too difficult. Just looking in there might show something.

I would avoid riding it also. The bike looks good and would be worth putting some money into new parts to solve the issue.

Maybe a service tech at the dealer would just listen and have an idea.

I just noticed that it had dual front disc's and the spedo/tach combo. An added fork brace also. Nice set up.

Good luck.

Last edited by lh4x4; 05-30-2015 at 12:05 AM.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:23 PM
Rollbar
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Nice bike. My friend has a '88 XL 1200 and I have a '90 XLH 883.
You can put a nice air cleaner on it and re-jet the carb and wake that thing up! Also remove the baffles in the mufflers and put some lolly-pops (in post link) in for back pressure and it is a sweet running ride.

He also had a 3rd gear problem and we found the rear sprocket loose, he was hearing something like a bearing noise. So we took the tranny apart and the main shaft was broken where the shaft stick through the right side of the case.

Also, MAKE SURE if it is the shaft you measure it w/a micrometer or, his shaft was to large in diameter and he couldn't find one to fit, so he had it machined down.

We got a new shaft and thrust washer (it was out of spec) and now it is fine.

Great bike!

Here is a link to a air cleaner/carb jets/kit I installed on my bike and it w/the jets is a new bike/more pull etc.

Link- https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...s-of-pics.html

Link- https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...-question.html

Last edited by Rollbar; 05-30-2015 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:26 PM
mad jak
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know it may not be the prob but check the clamps on the exhaust that holds the heat shields on mine had one loose and sounded almost exact like that hope it sumthn that easy keep us updated

Old 05-31-2015, 04:12 AM
Ron Bizzle
Advanced

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Nice sounding pipes. Toward the end I could hear the clacking sound. Haven't any idea of what it is. Could be in the clutch or in the primary chain. But sitting there running in neutral would say to me that it is not in the tranny with the clacking going on. Even without a manual taking the primary cover off should not be too difficult. Just looking in there might show something.

I would avoid riding it also. The bike looks good and would be worth putting some money into new parts to solve the issue.

Maybe a service tech at the dealer would just listen and have an idea.

I just noticed that it had dual front disc's and the spedo/tach combo. An added fork brace also. Nice set up.

Good luck.
what your hearing towards the end of the video was poor audio...not noises of the engine.....I'm not going to ride it anymore until I get the tanny taken apart and fixed...be my luck it would lock up while riding down the highway going 70 mph....I do pray it is repairable....I spoke with a Harley dealer yesterday and spoke of the noise I was hearing.. and he said.. it might be cheaper just to buy another bike... and I was like thinking to myself...."don't tell me that chit"...

Old 05-31-2015, 12:46 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

The genuine factory service manual is still available from your local friendly dealer, which is the best one you can have, especially if you are going inside the engine. Don't buy a cheaper one! Best of luck sorting it out.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:59 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,124 Posts

When you pull the clutch hub off, check the magnets on the inside have not come dislodged. Your transmission should remove fairly easily (allegedly), so even if you have to take it to a shop, you can take just the transmission cassette itself in for repair. Great looking bike, and those dual disks up front a a big bonus! Looks like the stock aircleaner backplate and possibly HD SE turnout slipons??

Love the timing cover!!!!!!

John

Last edited by John Harper; 05-31-2015 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:02 PM
Ron Bizzle
Advanced

Originally Posted by grbrown
The genuine factory service manual is still available from your local friendly dealer, which is the best one you can have, especially if you are going inside the engine. Don't buy a cheaper one! Best of luck sorting it out.
I just received a manual in the mail today....my girlfriend bought it for me...

Old 05-25-2016, 09:13 AM
89sports
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I would like to buy this bike

Morning Mr. Bizzle,

I came across this tread by chance. This bike was my father's and was also the first bike I rode as a kid. My pops put the belt and the dual disk brake and made all of those aluminum milled parts on the bike. We live in NJ, but he sold it when he lived briefly in KCMO. I hope it's not too bold of a request, but I'd like to buy this bike from you if it is still in decent shape and if your price were reasonable. Please contact me 732-996-5020.

Thank you!
Anthony.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:12 AM
T D
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Cool

Hi Ron,
The four speed Evo's were quite notorious for their gearboxes, eg:-they were weak
Mine is an '89, and the box went pop at around 15 thou, wrecking two gears. I was mortified, only for the mechanic to tell me that he's seen similar, but the gears had burst right out of the back of the box, causing a four figure sum to repair.
Mine were replaced with two quality ones, and since, fingers crossed no worries 40 thousand later
Are you aware if any work has been done on this box to upgrade it? Talk to the previous owner and see what he says.
Did I read on here that it's had a belt drive conversion? If so, this is a good mod as it will work similar to a cush drive on your box.
I hope that your box has been upgraded and that this isn't an issue.
I figure that there should be some threads on here about 4 speed evo's, so try a search and see what others have come up with.
I think that the price that you've paid, whether it needs work or not is a bargain mate. Best of luck sorting it.
Regards

TD

Last edited by T D; 05-25-2016 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Had to get it right!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1989 Harley-Davidson XLH1200 Sportster