Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Temperature...what iare you running?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 07:16 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts
Default Engine Temperature...what iare you running?

I recently installed a Power Vision with Autotune and able to monitor several things i.e. engine temperature, rpm, battery voltage, gear, etc. I have a 2011 Sportster Low XL1200L with Outlaw 587 and Rush 3" slipons with 2" baffles. I downloaded the custom tune and did an autotune on that tune. Took it out for a ride and noticed my engine temp was running about 380. Engine is stock. With a stage 1 and tune, I should be running cooler although I have no point of comparison....maybe I was running 400+ before.

What are you running on your Sportsters? Want to find out if Sportsters run hot or somethings not right with my bike. Any ideas?

Old 06-04-2015, 07:45 PM
sroc3
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

380? You sure? That's like engine in the depths of hell hot. I think your gauge might be off.

On a Hot day I run 200, maybe 220 max. I have the Fuel Moto micro tuner in mine.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:48 PM
WVDevil
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Engine temperature? There's a lot of different temps in an engine. Is it exhaust gas temp? Cylinder head temp? Something else?

Old 06-04-2015, 07:58 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

@sroc - It could be that I monitored ET on a run right after I flashed the autotune.
When you enable autotune the base afr is set to 14.6, the acceleration enrichment tables are disabled along with the decel enrichment; eitms; pe ; and the adaptive control. It also retards the timing during autotune sessions 4 degrees across the board. Keep in mind I stopped, turned off the engine, flashed, and took off again. So I could have already been running hot during autotune and only checked the temp on the run after I flashed it. I will check it again.

@wreckwriter - ET (engine temperature) is one of the PV gauges I selected...dont recall seeing any other options for engine temp but could be wrong. I am assuming engine temperature is the same as head temperature in the PV world. What engine temp (head temp) are you running on your low.

Thanks to both.

Last edited by hscic; 06-04-2015 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:02 PM
WVDevil
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hscic
@sroc - I could be that I monitored ET on a run right after I flashed the autotune.
When you enable autotune the base afr is set to 14.6, the acceleration enrichment tables are disabled along with the decel enrichment; eitms; pe ; and the adaptive control. It also retards the timing during autotune sessions 4 degrees across the board. So I could have already been running hot during autotune and only checked the temp on the run after I flashed it. I will check it again.

@wreckwriter - ET (engine temperature) is on of the PV gauges that I selected...dont recall seeing any other options for engine temp but could be wrong. Something to verify.

Thanks to both.
I have a PV also but have been down sick and haven't had time to play with it so I don't know what measurement it calls "engine temp". Also don't know what mine is running at since I got sick (pneumonia) right after I got the tuner. Curious now though.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:09 PM
WVDevil
Road Warrior

OK, based on real quick research I believe "engine temp" is really cylinder head temp. Don't know what's normal though...

Old 06-04-2015, 08:14 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by wreckwriter
I have a PV also but have been down sick and haven't had time to play with it so I don't know what measurement it calls "engine temp". Also don't know what mine is running at since I got sick (pneumonia) right after I got the tuner. Curious now though.
You are pretty active on the forum for a sick guy, so you must be feeling much better. Take care of that pneumonia....bad stuff.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:16 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Big differences in measurements. Oil temp and engine temps are vastly different. Modern sportsters use a sensor in the top center of the back cylinder. It measures combustion temperature. The max normal temp is 420F.

Look in the back of your PV manual and you'll see the normal ranges for different models.

The temps being measured in the low 200's are oil temperature.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:19 PM
WVDevil
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hscic
You are pretty active on the forum for a sick guy, so you must be feeling much better. Take care of that pneumonia....bad stuff.
Lol, I do fine sitting here at my desk, its walking around that gets me! I am starting to feel better though. This is week 2 of it, 2 doctor visits and a double buttload of steroids and antibiotics.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:19 PM
WVDevil
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by SLV
Big differences in measurements. Oil temp and engine temps are vastly different. Modern sportsters use a sensor in the top center of the back cylinder. It measures combustion temperature. The max normal temp is 420F.

Look in the back of your PV manual and you'll see the normal ranges for different models.

The temps being measured in the low 200's are oil temperature.
and there's the answer!

Quick Reply: Engine Temperature...what iare you running?