Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grrrr......darn it. Leaky or no leaky?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 10:24 PM
sroc3
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Grrrr......darn it. Leaky or no leaky?

So about two months ago I changed my preload setting on my shocks - this requires you to remove my shock, compress the spring, slide out the bottom plate that holds the shock in and along with that comes the bump stops. Then you remove the spring and adjust the collar, then reverse the process to assemble...The dealer had to do it for me cause I don't have the lift or tools to do this.

Anyway, everything was hunky-dory till I went for my 5,000 mile service. The guy who did my service was a rather heavy set individual..like 260lbs. My bikes preload setting is set for my weight at 155 lbs. So after he services the bike, he takes it on a test ride and when he comes back I notice some oil on the top of my bump stops. Obviously his weight caused the shocks to hit the stops on the test ride. When I saw this I was like...."hmmmm...crap. I busted a seal and my shock oil is leaking." So I wipe the oil off and then ride home. Next couple of rides I find that there is no oil on my bumpstops. Ok.....so I leave it be and figure and it was some residual oil from and gunk buildup like road grime.

Fast forward a month to last weekend when I did a 250 mile ride, I get back home there is some oil again on my stops. Not a lot but you could tell cause the top of the stops had a light coating. And there was an impression on the bottom cap of the shock. I wipe this off and figure "ok....my shocks are leaking and it's not road grime build up." I wipe it clean again. A week later, earlier tonight, I go out and ride around the for a bit and come home, NO oily reside or buildup. Completely clean. I ran my fingers down there and rubbed really hard but no oil at all........

My question is - if my shock is really leaking, won't it be a consistent oil trail down the shaft or something?? OR is it possible its a minor leak and only does so on prolonged rides?? What I'm thinking is that the very first time the guy adjusted my preload, when he put back the bump stops he greased them a bit - and this is the grease coming up from the stop and catching dirt/road grime.

I need some guidance on this because even if the warranty will cover the rebuild, taking the shocks off, shipping and putting them back on will run me close to $300. I really don't want to have to do it if I don't have to. Ideas or suggestions? I attached a pic to see.

Attached Thumbnails Grrrr......darn it. Leaky or no leaky?-image.jpg  

Last edited by sroc3; 06-05-2015 at 10:32 PM.