Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bloater's Harley 48

Old 06-12-2015, 12:22 AM
Bl0at3r
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr_Taipan
Bloater, last night I was riding home from Central London last night and I took the route of going out through the back roads of Tilbury, Chadwell ST Mary, Mucking and finally Corringham etc. The sound those V&H pipes make bouncing off the trees through the lanes is mesmerising.
Know those roads and yes, I can imagine the exhausts sound awesome.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:28 AM
Bl0at3r
Tourer

Originally Posted by DrewBone
Welcome to the forum! Nice looking bike, I wish you well with it!

In regards to the rear shocks...before you go off and change them due to what your first impressions are and what other people say about them, you do know that they are adjustable, yes? It may just be a simple case of adjustment and they'll be fine. Remember, the Sportster is a flickable and responsive bike, so the suspension tends to be a little harsh, and not like that of a bagger with a cup holder, LOL. You simply can't expect to have Cadillac plush and Lambo tightness on the same vehicle, so use your legs as suspension when the time arrises.

A story; back in 2012 I purchased a used '09 Iron, and became a member here to gleen information about the bike and enjoy the camaraderie of like minded individuals. One of the very first things that was mentioned by the masses here was that the factory seat on the Iron was "miserable" and that before too long I would be hankering for a Mustang or other aftermarket seat. The next thing I heard about was how the rear shocks were terrible and that before long I would be hankering for a set of Progressive's. Then I read that you had to replace the stock mufflers with the cheapest ones you could find because nobody ever had the money to spend on something decent, but somehow always managed to find the money for shiney bLiNg that did nothing to improve performance, which, when combining the cost of these non performance parts together, it amounted to more than the cost of the performance parts anyway[?!].Then on that same note, seeing as nobody ever has any money or had "limited funds", and still insisted on the "...best for their $$", you always go the cheapest route, ie., buy Xied's instead of an actual "tuner".

But after reading all that jazz and much more, a funny thing happened...even at my weight of 218 lbs. I found the Iron seat comfortable and it still resides on the bike. I found the adjustment on the rear shocks to be perfectly set the way the previous owner had them configured. After investigating their baffle design I opted for the more expensive Khrome Werks slip ons, and they sound deeper and throatier than anything I have heard to date. Then, not happy knowing my stock configured engine was running lean and hence producing higher engine and exhaust temperatures unnecessarily and therefore also robbing me of some performance due to the lack of proper air/fuel ratio, I investigated tuners for their abilities, ease of function, and user votes, made a decision, then saved up my money for a Power Vision tuner, and from the instant I took it out of the box to the 15 minutes later when the bike was rumbling away, I was as happy as a lark, for it had given my lowly '883 the little set of ***** it was intended to have, running quicker and very smoothly throughout the gears, with absolutely no deceleration pop whatsoever for my exhaust/intake (K&N AirCharger #63-1126) combination.

So if there is one thing that I have gleened from this site, it is that it appears that some here, those inparticular who "suggest" changing out most everything on your factory stock bike for tons of aftermarket crap, must work for the manufacturers of these items, because my own personal experience says that they are full of it! The seat is fine, the shocks are fine, cheap exhaust systems are well, cheap, and there is no replacement for an actual tuner (who wouldn't want their bike to be running at its optimum ability w/peak performance, even though they "...never want to race it"?).

What all this means is...don't drink the Kool-Aid! Don't take people's word for things, and for the Lord's sake, be patient!! There is no motorcycle part on the planet that you can't live without for a week or two! If you take the time to investigate and get learned about each and every of them for yourself, when the time DOES comes to pull the trigger on a purchase, you can make an actual informed decision, and not one based on how much $$ is in your pocket at the time or what the guy with over 10,000 posts had to say on some discussion board. Oh, and before I forget, get yourself an HD factory service manual for your year and model bike, so even if you're already into wrenching, you'll have at your fingertips THE source for all the correct information regarding your bike, instead of taking the word of the scruffy looking bloke who works down at "Jonesy's Motorcycle and Garage Door Repair Shop" 'down the corner.

Ride safe!

=8^)
Thanks for the welcome.

What an excellent post. You speak the truth and I am happy to acknowledge this.

I'm finding the seat on the 48 to be ok. The shocks will be adjusted at the weekend, and I have V&H exhaust and FP3 tuner on order as I type.

The main issue I have with the shocks is actually asthetic - wish they were all black - too much chrome for me.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:37 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

The seat on my Iron is okay but I did notice after an hour i was getting uncomfortable. I love the look of the RSD Cafe style one.

I think the chrome shocks look out of place on my black Iron. I even checked them over to see if they were aftermarket as i assumed they'd been put on rather than oem.

I have more of a problem with the front end tbh. It is dire imo, and i have intiminators ready to drop in if i ever get any free time.

Performance mods aside, for me there is nothing better than a bike with well set up, compliant suspension. It makes saddle time so much more enjoyable.

For me its not about chucking money at something for the sake of it, its more if you like the bike and can pay for some improvements, you put your own stamp on the bike. I've always held on to bikes that I've done things to longer than ones I've rode as is. YMMV...

Old 06-12-2015, 06:02 AM
BensonUK
Road Captain
Received 127 Likes on 91 Posts

I think you have been given a lot of good advice for a new HD owner.
We all have an idea of what a Harley 'should' sound like.
It took me 6 months and 6000 miles to change the exhausts. I know know what it should sound like, but only because I got used to what I had.
I see so many people that get a new bike and the first thing they do is rush to a stage 1.
'How do you know what was missing with it being stock?'
I agree the rear shocks could be more comfortable but changing my seat to a sundowner made longer rides a lot more comfortable.
But it's your bike, and a nice one at that, if it wasn't for the tiny tank I would have got one myself. You should only do what you feel is right and for the reasons you want to.
I know what you mean about smiling, as after getting mine in September I haven't stopped
http://www.harley-davidson-hangout.c...-Great-Britain
Goos bunch of guys with lots of rides and rallys going on near you and all over the country

enjoy the bike and Ride Safe

here endeth the lesson

Old 06-12-2015, 11:13 AM
Bl0at3r
Tourer

I appreciate everyone chipping in with advice and knowledge - that's the benefits of communities like these. Thank you.

I had a couple of days where I couldn't ride the bike due to work commitments and I really missed it. Haven't owned a motorbike for approx 3 years and now, have owned my 48 for 5 days and I am getting all sad if I can't ride

Am on my fourth tank of gas now as I had to fill up this morning due to the fuel light coming on as soon as I stood the bike upright - rode to work the semi-long way, rode home at lunchtime and went out again for a couple of hours this afternoon along Southend seafront - what do you call the 'seaside' where you're from ?

I'm really loving the Harley vibe (literally) and after getting some more miles on it, have some more thoughts ...

1. The drilled baffles have certainly improved the noise - has a nice crackle and a bit more of a rumble to it now. Whilst most people would argue it is probably loud enough, I feel it could be a little louder and maybe a deeper rumble - yes, I know it's 'only' a 1200cc

Performance seems unchanged - not that I have really wound it up yet due to running in the engine - only got approx 190 miles on it - certainly no adverse throttle issues as far as I can tell.

What troubles me is the chrome and also the length/style of the stock tailpipes - personally, the noise and appearance are more important than the performance benefits or otherwise that come with a replacement system. I'm not a fast rider.

B. My AF hex head/Allen keys arrived so am now ready to remove the fender, which I hope to do over the weekend. This is also for no other reason than appearance. I love the bobber look (if I hadn't have sold my Suzuki C50 I would have bobber'd it and sprayed the tins and engine Matt black) more than any other style of bike - the cafe racer coming almost neck and neck.

3. The stock 48 seat is ok - I was riding for 1h30mins today with no issues of discomfort. Again, the single seat bobber look is fine with me. I don't see any need to change it right now.

4. There are 3 main areas of chrome on the 48 - exhausts, front forks and rear shocks - I can't understand why some pictures show black rear shocks - mine so certainly are chrome - this would be the main reason for changing them - not found them to be too bad after all - as I said, I'm not a fast rider.

They would make the bike look better if they were a couple of inches shorter - especially once I remove the rear plastic fender and licence plate holder. What others benefits of shorter shocks are there, except maybe reducing seat height (which is fine as it is.

Stay tuned for more folks

Old 06-12-2015, 06:54 PM
scottylonebull
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr_Taipan
The seat on my Iron is okay but I did notice after an hour i was getting uncomfortable. I love the look of the RSD Cafe style one.

I think the chrome shocks look out of place on my black Iron. I even checked them over to see if they were aftermarket as i assumed they'd been put on rather than oem.

I have more of a problem with the front end tbh. It is dire imo, and i have intiminators ready to drop in if i ever get any free time.

Performance mods aside, for me there is nothing better than a bike with well set up, compliant suspension. It makes saddle time so much more enjoyable.

For me its not about chucking money at something for the sake of it, its more if you like the bike and can pay for some improvements, you put your own stamp on the bike. I've always held on to bikes that I've done things to longer than ones I've rode as is. YMMV...
I put the rsd café avenger seat on, it's pretty comfortable. much softer than the stock & the biltwell sporty 8

Attached Thumbnails Bloater's Harley 48-rsd.jpg  
Old 06-12-2015, 06:57 PM
scottylonebull
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

I like that color. luckily my wife didn't complain about ripping my bike apart the first week I bought it, I threw her out 4 yrs ago lol
bikes are made to customize, its more fun than riding almost. so customize your ****, even if you have to use crayons lol
good luck with the 48!

Attached Thumbnails Bloater's Harley 48-1515203_787345417968243_1530319648_n.jpg  
Old 06-12-2015, 08:51 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats and nice looking bike.
I like the straight tapered mufflers you guys in the UK get stock.
I'm pretty sure your rear shocks are longer than ours which probably do ride better.
I like a dirty bike , clean ones are generally ridden less ....
Have fun and be safe.
Mick

Old 06-15-2015, 01:56 AM
Bl0at3r
Tourer

The AF Allen wrenches I ordered arrived, so first job was to set about removing the front fender. It is really easy, you just need a 1/4" Allen wrench and undo the for bolts holding the brace onto the forks. Then, once removed, flip it over and use a Torx (T25 I think) on the four smaller bolts holding the fender onto the brace.

When re-fitting, I just used some blue Loctite on the larger Allen head bolts to be on the safe side.

HD 48 - Sans Fender
by thebloater, on Flickr

Harley Forty Eight
by thebloater, on Flickr

Last edited by Bl0at3r; 06-15-2015 at 01:59 AM.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:28 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Looks better for it. I must get round to checking what sort of brace the Iron has...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bloater's Harley 48