Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air shocks question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 05:33 PM
DevilDog85
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys I'm still new to my 14' Iron 883 even though I've had it for a year and I really do want to change the rear suspension to be a softer ride. I know the 14' + have changed and some parts are not as easily interchangeable so I was wondering if the any of the air shocks listed by wachuko would fit my 14' Iron. Also I want to keep the same height.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:38 PM
DevilDog85
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone have any thoughts?

Originally Posted by DevilDog85
Hey guys I'm still new to my 14' Iron 883 even though I've had it for a year and I really do want to change the rear suspension to be a softer ride. I know the 14' + have changed and some parts are not as easily interchangeable so I was wondering if the any of the air shocks listed by wachuko would fit my 14' Iron. Also I want to keep the same height.

Old 07-17-2015, 03:18 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by DevilDog85
Going by wachuko's list I'd say no. The longest you're going to get is 13". You sure yours are 14"? I thought the Irons were 13" or 13.25"?

If I ever get mine from Customs, i'l measure the seat height before and after fitting them.

Last edited by Mr_Taipan; 07-17-2015 at 03:38 AM.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:33 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Devil , the shocks on your bike are probably 11".
If in doubt , measure them on a lift (extended) center bolt to center bolt.
The air shocks are really 12" and 13" , so they are not a match for length.
The 12" would work fine for you , the 13" will ride better because of the length difference.
A couple washers to space the right shock out would be all that's needed to make them work.
Mick

Old 07-21-2015, 07:13 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master

Posties been!! The brass caps are more a sealing/blank off plug than a schraeder valve. If i want to put valves in there, are these the inserts I need?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-8-BSP-SC...item3aa3a062f6

Last edited by Mr_Taipan; 07-21-2015 at 07:58 AM.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:03 AM
Barrier
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure if those are the correct ones.
I found it was much easier to use the dual fill that Harley installed them with on the Touring Bikes.
I know here someone has posted about a kit that is available to do just that. Perhaps they will post about it or do a search on this forum for just that.
I will try and search.
Barrier

Old 07-21-2015, 09:00 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master

Originally Posted by Barrier
I am not sure if those are the correct ones.
I found it was much easier to use the dual fill that Harley installed them with on the Touring Bikes.
I know here someone has posted about a kit that is available to do just that. Perhaps they will post about it or do a search on this forum for just that.
I will try and search.
Barrier
Thanks, but I think i'd rather go for individual valves than plumb them both in together. Well, at least at this stage anyway...

After searcjing I find teh valves i need are 1/8 NPT tank valves. The ones I link to say they are 1/8 PT but not NPT tank valves? No idea if there is a difference but have emailed the company to find out.

Last edited by Mr_Taipan; 07-21-2015 at 09:02 AM.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:51 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

If you are using independent valves (you can get these from Grainger - part number 1X361 - Valve Air Tank Filler - Valve : CDI CONTROL DEVICES Valve, Air Tank Filler - Pneumatic Modular FRL Accessories - 1X361|TV12 - Grainger Industrial Supply ).

Old 07-21-2015, 10:00 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master

Originally Posted by wachuko
If you are using independent valves (you can get these from Grainger - part number 1X361 - Valve Air Tank Filler - Valve : CDI CONTROL DEVICES Valve, Air Tank Filler - Pneumatic Modular FRL Accessories - 1X361|TV12 - Grainger Industrial Supply ).
Thanks Mate but i'm the other side of the pond and need to find a UK supplier.I did find a supplier on ebay that sells them for "motorcycle forks" amongst other things. But when I looked they are a PT thread and not a NPT thread. So I emailed them to ask and got the following reply.

Unfortunately they wont fit. NPT is the American version of the thread and is very similar, the valve would go in but would not properly seal because of the thread angle.

Now as these would be going into a Showa shock, i'm wondering if you only have the NPT fitting over there and a PT fitting would actually be right for this? I say that because on the forum there is talk of using tape to make them seal. Also because the ebay company sells these for use in motorcycle forks. Any experts on thread pitch on here? Thoughts?.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:18 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr_Taipan
Thanks Mate but i'm the other side of the pond and need to find a UK supplier.I did find a supplier on ebay that sells them for "motorcycle forks" amongst other things. But when I looked they are a PT thread and not a NPT thread. So I emailed them to ask and got the following reply.

Unfortunately they wont fit. NPT is the American version of the thread and is very similar, the valve would go in but would not properly seal because of the thread angle.

Now as these would be going into a Showa shock, i'm wondering if you only have the NPT fitting over there and a PT fitting would actually be right for this? I say that because on the forum there is talk of using tape to make them seal. Also because the ebay company sells these for use in motorcycle forks. Any experts on thread pitch on here? Thoughts?.
I think that I have two spare ones... want me to mail them to you?

Quick Reply: Air shocks question?