Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportytour? Would you Tour with your sportster?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 12:03 AM
lucky23
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I just got back from a 3 day 800 mile trip on my 1999 &83 Hugger. Bike was great, down the 101 to California and back up over mountain passes and some freeway riding at 75-80mph. I used a Mustang Vintage Wide seat and can't recommend it enough. The rear stock shocks suck, so I'm gonna replace them. Other than that, the bike was a gem and I love her!

Old 06-30-2015, 12:05 AM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Longest ride on my '06 1200C was SoCal to Chicago and back, last spring. The Corbin seat helped a ton, but other than that, it was all stock. Even the shocks, though I would've replaced those if I'd had the money. My longest day was about 660 miles. I was kinda sore, but that seat really helped.

As far as packing, I had saddlebags, a roll bag on the bars, and a tent and sleeping bag bungeed to the backrest in case I got stuck somewhere. Packed a few changes of clothes, light snacks, couple water bottles, maps, couple different pairs of gloves, basic tools, and some emergency supplies (space blanket, Fritos and a cheap lighter, etc.).

Old 06-30-2015, 12:45 AM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by tlaw
I have the 1200C. A buddy of mine just invited me to do a three day ride with he and his son (adult) and a friend of the son's next Summer, for Sturgis. There are so many things for me to think about on this one. First, I'm new and have done no highway riding. In fact, I don't think I've gone over 45 mph (yet). Second, do I have the right bike for a ride like that? A side of me wants to commit. I've never been in that part of the country and think it would be a beautiful ride but time, talent and treasure are all major considerations that go into the equation.
Go ahead. Stay on the porch your whole life. See what that gets ya.
Whadda ya, married or something? Jeez.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:49 AM
BensonUK
Road Captain
Received 127 Likes on 91 Posts

All I changed on my Sporty was the seat, the sundowner makes such a difference when you are sat on it for a good few hours everyday.
Saddlebags and sissy bar bag for me.
2000 miles in a week around Europe

Old 06-30-2015, 07:37 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by tlaw
I have the 1200C. A buddy of mine just invited me to do a three day ride with he and his son (adult) and a friend of the son's next Summer, for Sturgis. There are so many things for me to think about on this one. First, I'm new and have done no highway riding. In fact, I don't think I've gone over 45 mph (yet). Second, do I have the right bike for a ride like that? A side of me wants to commit. I've never been in that part of the country and think it would be a beautiful ride but time, talent and treasure are all major considerations that go into the equation.

I'm glad you asked the question. So far, the answers are encouraging for me, at least as they refer to the bike.
As long as you keep your highway speeds sensible that shouldn't be a problem. A good road trip is where you and the bike start to come together and there's nothing better than saddle time for honing your riding skills. A golden rule for me is never try to keep up. The moment you leave your comfort zone is when things start to go wrong.

Back to the OP; I have an Iron and dont think i'd be touring on that without highway pegs and a different seat.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:44 AM
Helen Wheels
Extreme HDF Member
Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

yep!..maybe cuz I don't know any better ..but I love my sporty and how it handles..id just make sure the tour stops to smell the roses along the way

Old 07-01-2015, 02:08 AM
Proteus
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

56 k miles since March 2012.

So, yes, I tour on my XLC...

Old 07-01-2015, 08:41 AM
falconbrother
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I used to tour on my old 2001 883/1200 Custom. It was pretty brutal with the solid mounted engine and drag bars. My wife has a 1993 XLH 883/1200 with the good seat, mini-apes, sportbob tank, forward controls with the small floorboards, hard bags, bat-wing windshield, 300 watt stereo. I can ride it all day. It has the solid mounted engine but, vibration really isn't a problem.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:19 PM
Ytcoinshooter
Club Member
Received 286 Likes on 132 Posts

I do tour on my XL. These are my bikes and there are times I just want something nimble and simple. I have a T-Bag for the rear rack if needed. What you can't see here are the progressive 440 shocks and progressive fork springs. That's a mustang wide vintage seat and quick detach HD windshield. I really prefer the R model because it is a "standard" and sports dual front brakes.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:43 PM
Djeango
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been riding for JUST over a year. I just did my first tour (solo) on an iron 883. Went about 1000 miles over 3 days down Skyline drive and then to Independence, Va to check out Fox Creek Leather. The bike was fantastic minus the suspension and drag bars... I'll be changing that next year... Totally tourable...

Sportytour? Would you Tour with your sportster?-img_1169.jpg

Quick Reply: Sportytour? Would you Tour with your sportster?