Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportytour? Would you Tour with your sportster?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 06:52 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

You can tour on a Moped but lets be serious if comfort is your priority then i'll say a big heck no. I've got thousands in my bike trying to make it a touring bike i.e. 2006 883r and its not a highway miler. The Sportster is an awesome bike but its not a touring machine no matter what anybody says.

For one the miles per tank is well lackluster. The frame regardless of shock set up is not meant for long state to state rides. I hate having to stop for gas every 100 miles or so on my bike and its a fairly comfortable ride do to suspension upgrades. I want exceptional wind protection on 200 plus mile rides. You can't get that on a Sporty.

I've tried for the past 10 years to make my Sportster a touring bike comfort wise and I'm afraid to say this season i'm going to either buy a new Road King or Street Glide. Don't get me wrong i love my Sportster but its simply not a long range or short range comfortable touring platform.

I guess its about what you want in a bike for the purpose you want it for. Though i don't tour my weekend riding is back roads and interstates. I want ultimate comfort more than i want radical power or twisty performance. This is not something a Sportster preforms well at realistically.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:23 PM
lucky23
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
You can tour on a Moped but lets be serious if comfort is your priority then i'll say a big heck no. I've got thousands in my bike trying to make it a touring bike i.e. 2006 883r and its not a highway miler. The Sportster is an awesome bike but its not a touring machine no matter what anybody says.

For one the miles per tank is well lackluster. The frame regardless of shock set up is not meant for long state to state rides. I hate having to stop for gas every 100 miles or so on my bike and its a fairly comfortable ride do to suspension upgrades. I want exceptional wind protection on 200 plus mile rides. You can't get that on a Sporty.

I've tried for the past 10 years to make my Sportster a touring bike comfort wise and I'm afraid to say this season i'm going to either buy a new Road King or Street Glide. Don't get me wrong i love my Sportster but its simply not a long range or short range comfortable touring platform.

I guess its about what you want in a bike for the purpose you want it for. Though i don't tour my weekend riding is back roads and interstates. I want ultimate comfort more than i want radical power or twisty performance. This is not something a Sportster preforms well at realistically.
In my opinion, If you want ultimate comfort, drive a car, not a Harley. It all boils down to what you can live with and what your expectations are. Lets face facts: no, a Sportster is not a BMW. Its a Harley. I think its funny that people buy Harleys cause they think its cool to have a Harley, then they complain that its not super comfortable, doesn't handle amazing, vibrates too much, etc. Its a machine based on 100 year old engineering. No Harley is ever going to be a s comfy or handle like a Honda or a BMW. Put a windshield on it, upgrade the deplorable suspension and hit the road!

Old 02-09-2016, 08:58 PM
eeyore
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Beartooth

Kansas

Blue Ridge

Yes, I would tour.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:23 PM
hammer6315
HDF Community Team
Received 196 Likes on 145 Posts

Tour? Alone or two-up? Camping or stay at motels? We took our Sportster on a 10 day trip to Sturgis thrice, but we stayed at motels.
If you're alone, it can be done. But, if you're talking with the little woman, well, that's a different story, I mean, those make-up bags can be large, bulky, and HEAVY!

Last edited by hammer6315; 02-10-2016 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:11 AM
EveHD
Moderatress
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildon883R

I do tour.

My Sporty 883 gets 140 to the tank. Which is somewhere close to 2 hours saddle time on the Hwy. In my opinion, most people want to break for a drink, pee and stretch their legs by then.

Windshield, mustang seat, forward controls. tunes, rubber mounting and above all else, HANDLING, take care of the rest. I can hold 85mph for that amount of time with no issues and I'm over 50.

The sportster and it's much lighter frame than it's counterparts does indeed perform well on long state to state rides.

Originally Posted by lucky23
In my opinion, If you want ultimate comfort, drive a car, not a Harley. It all boils down to what you can live with and what your expectations are. Lets face facts: no, a Sportster is not a BMW. Its a Harley. I think its funny that people buy Harleys cause they think its cool to have a Harley, then they complain that its not super comfortable, doesn't handle amazing, vibrates too much, etc. Its a machine based on 100 year old engineering. No Harley is ever going to be a s comfy or handle like a Honda or a BMW. Put a windshield on it, upgrade the deplorable suspension and hit the road!
Well said!

Originally Posted by eeyore

Beartooth

Kansas

Blue Ridge

Yes, I would tour.

Ditto!

Originally Posted by hammer6315
Tour? Alone or two-up? Camping or stay at motels? We took our Sportster on a 10 day trip to Sturgis thrice, but we stayed at motels.
If you're alone, it can be done. But if you're talking with the little woman, well, that's a different story, I mean, those make-up bags can be large, bulky, and HEAVY!

Last edited by EveHD; 02-10-2016 at 12:13 AM.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:28 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Originally Posted by EveHD
I do tour.

My Sporty 883 gets 140 to the tank. Which is somewhere close to 2 hours saddle time on the Hwy. In my opinion, most people want to break for a drink, pee and stretch their legs by then.

Windshield, mustang seat, forward controls. tunes, rubber mounting and above all else, HANDLING, take care of the rest. I can hold 85mph for that amount of time with no issues and I'm over 50.

The sportster and it's much lighter frame than it's counterparts does indeed perform well on long state to state rides.

Yeah Eve!

Like you, I can be very comfortable touring on my Sporty. 120-140 miles is plenty, in most cases, to take a pit stop for gas.

It is just a matter of getting it set up correctly. Most important it getting the butt/feet/hands triangle right. Once that's done you'll be more comfortable than most on touring bikes that aren't set up correctly.

I've toured on Yammys, Honda 350's, Norton's, Road Kings, Dyna's, Street Glides, Ultra's, Softail's and Tri-Glides, along with touring on my Sportster.

Even though there is a Heritage and a Tri-Glide sitting next to my Sportster in my bike room...this summer I'm hoping to do a 2500 mile week on my Sportster.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 02-11-2016, 05:27 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by hammer6315
If you're alone, it can be done. But, if you're talking with the little woman, well, that's a different story, I mean, those make-up bags can be large, bulky, and HEAVY!
This is an issue more of peoples ability, not the bikes. 2 up camping pic

Old 02-11-2016, 08:52 AM
CDG2015
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a 6hr ride from Ontario Canada to Lake Placid NY on my 48, picked up some kuryakyn saddle bags and kept a extra can of fuel just in case. It handled the trip great. I also had an airhawk seat pad which I feel helped the trip also.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:02 AM
JimmyL
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Kudos to people who tour on a Sporty. I don't. I'm well over 50 though. It's called a Sportster for a reason. You can make it into a tourer, or you can buy a tourer.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:05 AM
lucky23
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Rog48
This is an issue more of peoples ability, not the bikes. 2 up camping pic

What brand of saddlebags are those?

Quick Reply: Sportytour? Would you Tour with your sportster?