Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

beyond XIEDS

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 11:55 AM
awilson40
Road Warrior

Received 1,383 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by brucepancake
Help me out Wilson what do you mean by turnabilty and drivability. That seems like performance? And was it worth the 200 to you? Can you reuse IED's could i seek mine? Help offset some of the cost. Or would you leave them on as well ?
Tune-ability : The ability to fine tune the fuel maps for front and rear cyl independently and across the whole load and RPM range. Cant do this with the IEDs
Drive-ability : With the IED's I was still using the factory O2 sensors and running in closed loop using feedback for control. I could still feel surging when cruising and this bothered me.

As to performance, I didnt feel a lot of difference wide open throttle but I'm sure there was as the IED;s do nothing once you go full throttle but I dont hammer my bike a lot so I really dont remember.
And yes, it was worth the $$. Fuelmoto is great to deal with, They respond quickly to emails and will get you a map that will work well for you. And if you want, you can connect up a laptop and tune further on your own or on a dyno.

Old 06-28-2015, 03:32 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

I ran ViED which is similar to XiED except the ViEDs are variable/adjustable. Very inexpensive option if your are on a budget, but it does not optimize your tune/performance. I adjusted the ViEDs full range and only could minimize (not eliminate) the decel popping. FuelMoto Micro EFI is the next best thing, but I went directly to the Dynojet Power Vision with Autotune. Both were my top two tuners in my selection process. PV is a flash tuner so it does not need to stay on your bike, but I keep it on the bike to monitor engine temp, rpm, battery voltage, and gear....there a many other things you can monitor. It is a big difference in price ($300 more) from the FM Micro EFI so again if you are on a budget, the Micro EFI tuner is an excellent option.

Oh and no more decel popping and smooth throughout the power range. You probably can get the similar result with the Micro EFI.

Here is a look at the PV monitor with gauges (also has analog view options)

I purchased the tuner from DK Customs and obtain technical support from Jamie at Fuel Moto. Both are excellent when it comes to responsiveness and customer service.

Last edited by hscic; 06-28-2015 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:15 PM
hammer6315
HDF Community Team
Received 192 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Micro EFI

Originally Posted by awilson40
I can answer that as I have had both. Performance wise, no but in tunability and driveability a big yes. After a lot of fine tuning on the maps I was able to get my bike running very smooth, good MPG and almost zero decel pop. Something I could never attain with the IED's.
For me, eliminating the O2 sensors was the only way to get to were I wanted and the Micro EFI has been very reliable and effective.

As a side note, I have shared my map with a couple of people with similar bikes and mods and will email my map to anyone who wants to give it a try.
I went ahead and ordered one for my 2012 XL1200 Custom. Apparently O2 eliminators are included, so no need for the XIEDS. Looks like I will have to at least raise, if not remove the fuel tank. I look forward to improved engine running.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:44 PM
sroc3
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hammer6315
I went ahead and ordered one for my 2012 XL1200 Custom. Apparently O2 eliminators are included, so no need for the XIEDS. Looks like I will have to at least raise, if not remove the fuel tank. I look forward to improved engine running.
You'll need to only raise the rear of the tank and keep it raised with a 2/4. Easy. I actually up an attest to what AWILSON says about the drivability of the Micro Tuner. It's pretty damn smooth. I have his map, which he shared with me, and I am VERY happy with my bike and the way it drives. Low speeds, no decibel popping or surging. Higher speeds, just silky smooth accel and decelerations. Just makes for a safer ride too when downshifting and rev-matching. He really tuned that map to perfection.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:37 AM
awilson40
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by sroc3
It's pretty damn smooth. I have his map, which he shared with me, and I am VERY happy with my bike and the way it drives. Low speeds, no decibel popping or surging. Higher speeds, just silky smooth accel and decelerations. Just makes for a safer ride too when downshifting and rev-matching. He really tuned that map to perfection.
Thanks for the props

Old 07-03-2015, 06:52 PM
brucepancake
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by awilson40
Thanks for the props
Now if I can only get it to open lol thanks again Wilson

Old 07-03-2015, 09:20 PM
Bryan83taco
Tourer

Received 134 Likes on 64 Posts

I finally replaced my x14ieds with a power vision. I never believed all the praise for the PV but holy ****, its like a night and day difference. Expensive but worth it when you can swing it.

Old 07-03-2015, 09:43 PM
hammer6315
HDF Community Team
Received 192 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by sroc3
You'll need to only raise the rear of the tank and keep it raised with a 2/4. Easy. I actually up an attest to what AWILSON says about the drivability of the Micro Tuner. It's pretty damn smooth. I have his map, which he shared with me, and I am VERY happy with my bike and the way it drives. Low speeds, no decibel popping or surging. Higher speeds, just silky smooth accel and decelerations. Just makes for a safer ride too when downshifting and rev-matching. He really tuned that map to perfection.

The micro tuner arrived. Am I to install it according to the enclosed instructions, and ride off?

Old 07-04-2015, 06:08 AM
awilson40
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hammer6315
The micro tuner arrived. Am I to install it according to the enclosed instructions, and ride off?
Yep, it would have come preloaded with the map for your mods.
I mounted mine behind the left side cover.
Read over the instructions a couple times so you understand everything.
Check and double check all your connections and make sure you zip tie
all wires and connectors away from any heat source.

Attached Thumbnails beyond XIEDS-micro-efi-mounting.jpg  
Old 07-04-2015, 10:33 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Definitely interested in these options. I have a '13 Seventy Two with high flow AC, slip-ons, and Xieds. Bike runs great above 40mph and below 10mph...in the middle it's not so happy sometimes. Lots of hunting and surging. Especially after longer highway blasts. I can't quite figure out the inconsistency. Might not be the tune, but so far everything else checks out.

If it were my Dyna, I'd probably spring for the PV as who knows what I'll want to do to the motor years from now but I already have a SEPST and full system which runs flawlessly for the past 7 years. But for the Sporty I just need the right tune to set and forget as a steady runner. One day I might go to a full exhaust, but I doubt it, and even then the Micro should be able to cover it.

Last edited by Thingfish; 07-04-2015 at 10:36 AM.

Quick Reply: beyond XIEDS