Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excesive oil Return Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 01:02 AM
DavidStiebel
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Cool Excesive oil Return Pressure

Hey all,

I was hoping you might be able to shed some light on a problem I have after rebuilding my 1200.

After rebuild I have excessive oil return or relief pressure happening in the oil system. The tank overflows even when run at low oil level.

Signs are:
Over-flow of the oil tank. Happens under throttle like going up hills or passing.

Using HD 20-50 oil.

Any connection between the oil delivery system and the new rings?
I installed new rings, crosshatched honing, went together fairly well I thought.

I'm thinking oil pump rebuild time but how would a marginal oil pump make excessive oil return?

Any ideas?

Old 07-06-2015, 05:20 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Check that you aren't using a 10micron oil filter. The Sportster can't function with too much restriction. It will do exactly what you described, or oil will come from other places.

You should be using a 30micron filter. The 10micron from a Dyna fits the sportster but is too restrictive.

If this isn't it, one of your gaskets (base gasket) may not be aligned with the flow port.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:08 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

By overflow do you mean its coming out of the tank? I think the oil tank should be large enough to hold all the oil, especially if like you said, its kept at the low level.

You might check oil line routing for kinks and such. Also that you dont have any swapped.

On oil filters, I use a 5 micron and it works fine. The filter has a higher flow rate than what the pump is capable of. Sportsters use a gearator pump which is positive displacement. Positive displacement means the pump WILL pump X amount of oil. So lets say the pump puts out 2 GPM of oil @2K RPM. 2 GPM of oil WILL come out of that pump whether its an open line or a 5 micron filter.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:42 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

I'm only going by personal experience and information from S&S Cycle.

http://www.sscycle.com/tech-info/tec...on-oil-filter/

Old 07-06-2015, 08:32 AM
DavidStiebel
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks to all respondents, I will review what I can. After releasing some oil, checking and tightening all oil lines, riding another 40km the situation has stabilized.
I would want to know what level the oil should be at with the bike standing straight up, not on the jiffy stand (hate that name, puss* name), any ideas?
Why?
Some alterations have been made so the bike leans a bit more than it did stock.

Cheers to all!

Old 07-06-2015, 08:35 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member

Yeah thats not even how it works.

If you run the 10 micron filter with an evolution style engine it will not be able to return oil through the filter fast enough causing the oil to back up into the lower end robbing power and/or causing oil to puke out of the lower end
The oil filter is not in the return (scavenge) system, its the first thing the oil hits on the pressure side. But even if it was it still wouldnt matter because the scavange pump is also positive displacement. A smaller restriction will not reduce flow from a positive displacement pump.

And heres another one.

When it comes to filtering oil application is very important. There have been a lot of changes and updates too many filters on the market, with claims of better filtration, don't be fooled into using a filter that might not be the best for your bike
Perhaps they should inform Harley

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...ter---5-micron

I dont use a Harley filter, I use a WIX 5 micron. It flows up to 9 GPM. Dont know for sure but Im betting a sportster oil pump cant flow more than 2 GPM at max RPM.
http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Par...x?Part=1721791

Old 07-06-2015, 09:03 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidStiebel
Thanks to all respondents, I will review what I can. After releasing some oil, checking and tightening all oil lines, riding another 40km the situation has stabilized.
I would want to know what level the oil should be at with the bike standing straight up, not on the jiffy stand (hate that name, puss* name), any ideas?
Why?
Some alterations have been made so the bike leans a bit more than it did stock.

Cheers to all!

I keep mine 1/2 way between the ADD and FULL marks with the bike upright in its normal operating position.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:47 AM
Cool Inferno
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Just some food for thought for those that use the low micron numbered filters. Keep in mind if you have your Sportster tuned to idle lower than spec for that nice Harley sound, your oil pump is not working as needed during idle. You will already have less oil flow and pressure because of that and adding a low numbered micron filter will only make matters worse for the lubrication while at idle. This of course will eventually ruin your motor in my opinion.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:13 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member

Again, its a positive displacement pump. If you set your idle lower than spec and you suffer engine damage because of lack of oil flow it would have nothing to do with the micron rating of the filter.........it happened because you lowered the idle which caused the lack of flow.

Restrictions DO NOT affect the flow of a positive displacement pump.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:26 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rog48
Yeah thats not even how it works.

The oil filter is not in the return (scavenge) system, its the first thing the oil hits on the pressure side. But even if it was it still wouldnt matter because the scavange pump is also positive displacement. A smaller restriction will not reduce flow from a positive displacement pump.

And heres another one.

Perhaps they should inform Harley

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...ter---5-micron

I dont use a Harley filter, I use a WIX 5 micron. It flows up to 9 GPM. Dont know for sure but Im betting a sportster oil pump cant flow more than 2 GPM at max RPM.
http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Par...x?Part=1721791

This is an old debate and has been in play since the introduction of the Twin-Cam engine that calls for a 10 micron filter, and then the introduction of the "premium" filter that's supposed to work in both engine types. (originally 10 microns, the "A" version is now 5 microns.)

The technology of glass-bead filter elements Vs. the old-style paper elements is probably the reason the premium filter works. Glass bead elements flow better than paper elements and resist blockage much better.

The premium filter (and the WIX filter you linked to) has a bypass rating of 8 psi, while the standard 30-micron filters have a bypass rating of 12 psi. Unfiltered oil is allowed to pass at a lower pressure in the premium filter, but the glass-bead element doesn't restrict as much flow as debris gets trapped.

My experience with paper-element filters for TC motors is that they cause an EVO motor to build case pressure and leak in various places.

Quick Reply: Excesive oil Return Pressure